Loss of power and exhaust sounds odd.

DamanC

Reaction score
I did. The gap was between .30 and .35, using a cheap auto zone gapping tool. I can't find my feeler gauge to check exact gap. I set it at .35 when I put new ones in.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
.035 I hope. How much boost?

DamanC

Reaction score
I noticed this today. The drivers side exhaust sounds quieter than the passenger side. I have factory cats and cat back with factory resonators and custom muffler delete pipes.
https://vimeo.com/134805903

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
You might have had a meltdown inside one of the cats. Not totally uncommon with boosted vehicles. More often happens with higher boost levels than this, though.

DamanC

Reaction score
You might have had a meltdown inside one of the cats. Not totally uncommon with boosted vehicles. More often happens with higher boost levels than this, though.
Guess I'll have to check those out too.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
What does each individual cat temp read..at idle..then again at wot ? Both cats should read identical. If one is hotter than the other, it's clogging up. This is where having at least one aeroforce gauge or similar comes in handy. Then u can tell at a glance if anything is amiss...or just log both cat temps. This assumes you have not shut the rear o2 sensors off in software.

Last edited:

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
The driver's side cat is a bit of a b^tch to get out to look at, that's for sure. Cat temp *might* tell you but a visual inspection is the only way to be sure. If you're going to pull one, you might as well pull both and put cat deletes on, unless you have smog checks where you are.

Last edited:

DamanC

Reaction score
The driver's side cat is a bit of a b^tch to get out to look at, that's for sure. Cat temp *might* tell you but a visual inspection is the only way to be sure. If you're going to pull one, you might as well pull both and put cat deletes on, unless you have smog checks where you are.
Unfortunately I'm in California. But I might be able to get away with some high flow cats if that turns out to be the problem.

DamanC

Reaction score
Finally got some time to get a few data log runs in. I checked out the logs and there are no misfires but i logged the vvt on both banks for intake and exhaust as well as anything I thought might help. I'm posting my second and 3rd runs because those are the ones i remembered to save.

On the first run I took it up to redline two or three time and got the blinking check engine light. it was a quick run up one on ramp and coasting to thenext onramp where i downshifted and engine braked down the offramp.

On the second run I pulled off the highway and started logging. then puled back on caught up to traffic and stayed in 4th and 5th for most of the run. no CEL that time.

One thing i did notice is that the intake cam on bank one is flatlined for both runs. not sure if that's significant but it is something i noticed.View attachment run1 tc off.zip
View attachment run 2 tc off.zip

DamanC

Reaction score
No. But the dummy gauge in track apps says normal oil pressure.

jp1seattle

Reaction score
I would put the mufflers back on, get an off road pipe and contact Lund or AED for a tune.

Running the cats with a blower is just one more thing to worry about......sure it could be ok, but there is always the possibility of a cat fouling up or melting when running boost.

I really didn't want to go off road when I installed my blower, but all the research I did seemed to recommend it. It's a little louder than I would have preferred, but it's not that bad with the GT500s.

Either way, I hope you get it worked out.

DamanC

Reaction score
I'd love to once I figure out where the power loss is coming from. If anybody has checked out my data logs, is the vvt supposed to flatline like that?

DamanC

Reaction score
Just wondering, would anybody mind posting a data log file with the cam position and vvt for bank 1 and 2 on the intake and exhaust? I'd really appreciate it.

DamanC

Reaction score
I did a little more datalogging because of the irregularity (in my untrained opinion) with the vvt that concerns me.

Screenshot (5).jpg

This is what has me concerned. All of the other cams are doing something but bank 1 on intake(the green line) is just flatlining.
Screenshot (6).jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).jpg
    Screenshot (7).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 16

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
hmmmm. weird. Wouldn't have any idea how to fix that. It's possible the phaser itself has failed or the electrics in the valve cover.

DamanC

Reaction score
hmmmm. weird. Wouldn't have any idea how to fix that. It's possible the phaser itself has failed or the electrics in the valve cover.

What would be the proper way to test those? Do they require specialized "Ford only" tools?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back