Lost SCT X4 issue, stock tune

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
As I posted in the "What pissed you off today" thread, I've lost my SCT tuner in the move. I contacted VMP about replacing it and have verified I'll need a new tuner of course, and they can set it up to accept my original tunes (they won't load on a tuner with a different serial number). My question is will I be able to load my stock tune (saved on my laptop and pc) onto the new tuner? VMP said it could be "tricky", so I'm wondering if anybody has real world experience with this.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to to the tuner issue. But if you can't get it done you could always have the stealership flash the PCM back to stock. Then the X4 will be able to copy it over normally. It's not the optimum way but it may be the only way.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Your best bet after you get the tuner is to have the car reflashed to the stock tune at a Ford dealer or shop that has that capability. My speed shop has full Ford st0ck flashing capabilities. So it doesn't have to be a Ford dealer you go to.

Once the stock tune has been flashed and verified, you can then simply load your tune and capture the factory reflash on your new tuner. Easy-Peezy. Obviously if you have modifications you will not want to start the car with the factory tune in it. Simply load the new tune and now you are golden.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Just heard back from SCT customer support. Does this make sense?

Lost my SCT X4 tuner in a recent move. I know I can buy a replacement X4 but will I need to have the local Ford dealership reflash to the stock tune before I am able to use it or will the back up stock file I created for the original X4 import to the new X4?

Rudolfo

Hey there Tommy
No. You will flash the truck or car with one of the preloaded tunes and contact us for a recovery to repair the stock file on the device

Tommy

What's the purpose of backing up the stock file?

Rudolfo

On a PC. That would be to help us in a recovery process. That really would not have a propose on your end.

Tommy

Ah, ok. So you would remote in to my laptop and utilize the back up of the stock file I saved from the 1st X4 to get it on the new one?

Rudolfo

No.
We would use a copy of the stock file saved on the new device.
Once you have your new 7015, Flash your vehicle with a preloaded tune and give us a call.
We will take it from there.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
It doesn't to me but my experience is with the Diablo tuner.

It sounds like they are going to have you load tune A and pull off the old tune, tune B.

Tune B will be viewed as if it were the stock OEM PCM tune as far as the X4 knows.

They will then do something to let the X4 forget tune B and have it now remember the OEM PCM as the original tune.

That's all I can kinda discern from the email exchange.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I still say it would be simpler to just have the car reflashed to stock and start anew when the new tuner arrives if you don't have it already. That way you have full confidence the correct factory tune is saved should you ever need to take the car back to stock for any reason in the future. BUT JUST MY .02

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on keeping the Bullitt til I run it into the ground. Is it even necessary to be able to revert to the stock tune? I simply want the ability to upgrade more in the future (cams, long tube headers), have the option to switch between 87 and 93 octane and compensate for different tire sizes for a correct speedo. Am I just overthinking this?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
If you don't have any immediate plans for upgrades, hold off buying a new X4 and see if the original X4 shows up in your unpacking.

travelers

Reaction score
If the dealer re-flashes the PCM it should have a different stratagee code. So he would have to wait for the new tune to work with the updated code. It looks like the OP only has a CAI so getting the car home from the dealer wouldn't be a real problem.

But I would wait as oldVOR said about unpacking.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Just going to wait and see if it turns up. Thanks for the advice guys.

Phil1098

Reaction score
I plan on keeping the Bullitt til I run it into the ground. Is it even necessary to be able to revert to the stock tune? I simply want the ability to upgrade more in the future (cams, long tube headers), have the option to switch between 87 and 93 octane and compensate for different tire sizes for a correct speedo. Am I just overthinking this?

Any time you go to add a new tune, SCT wants you to run the device updater. Before you update the device though, they want you to put the cars tune back to stock. I think there is a chance in the updating process either something could get lost or corrupted, so once the device is current on firmware you can load tunes again. (even the one it was just running) When I made my changes with cams, headers, etc. a couple of times when I was sent new tunes, the updater at SCT did have firmware changes. It didn't the last couple, just showed my tuner was current and no update required. I haven't changed the tune in my car for over a year now, but I am not planning any changes either.

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This makes me worry... I have an X3 that got the LCD screen broken. I edned up sending it to SCT to repair. I have my original stock tune and my lito tunes saved to my laptop. I haven't tried flashing anything since the repair. I have dreams of 6r80 trans then getting my forged stroker finally installed (or maybe just get a new 2015+ crate motor???) but sounds like I may have a monkey in my wrench...

Good luck to the OP and keep us updated!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you have modified the car to the point that it won't run on the stock tune anyway, then having or saving the stock tune is unnecessary. Forget about the stock tune.

Unless you are going to change something in the car requiring a tune update, don't worry about the tuner for now. I haven't touched my SCT4 since loading the tune on the car 3 years ago. If it was lost then it wouldn't affect anything anyway.

Back