Loud metallic noise when cold

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't remember my car doing this last year before I put it away for the winter, but on a cold start I get this loud metallic noise from under the car that seems to change slightly with engine speed. It's not quite a "ringing" sound, but sounds like metal on metal. Goes away once the car has been running for a few minutes. Definitely coming from somewhere toward the front of the car.

I fixed the separator plate noise years ago (and even that was only around 3000 RPM), this one is happening at idle. I haven't been under the car yet to look at it. I have aftermarket cats so I don't think it's a cat heat shield but I suppose it could be. Anyone had this happen?

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I don't remember my car doing this last year before I put it away for the winter, but on a cold start I get this loud metallic noise from under the car that seems to change slightly with engine speed. It's not quite a "ringing" sound, but sounds like metal on metal. Goes away once the car has been running for a few minutes. Definitely coming from somewhere toward the front of the car.

I fixed the separator plate noise years ago (and even that was only around 3000 RPM), this one is happening at idle. I haven't been under the car yet to look at it. I have aftermarket cats so I don't think it's a cat heat shield but I suppose it could be. Anyone had this happen?

me too I also have after market cats and actually swapped them out thinking that was it and it wasn't

for sure something in the exhaust area

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
I had that same issue when a muffler baffle rotted and came apart.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well this one is definitely coming from somewhere around the engine/bellhousing/transmission area. I'll have to do some sleuthing and see if I can find it.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Could also be one of the heat shields vibrating against the chassis.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like the TOB on the slave cylinder. Mine was doing that before I did a 6060 swap. Made more noise in cold weather, and would go away after a few minutes.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
You'll need to get the car up on a lift and use a mechanic's stethoscope to localize the noise. Otherwise it's like pissing into a headwind on a dark night.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the TOB on the slave cylinder. Mine was doing that before I did a 6060 swap. Made more noise in cold weather, and would go away after a few minutes.

Unfortunately I'm thinking you may be right here. I noticed it changed a little (not much but a little) with the clutch pedal pushed in vs. out in neutral. Damn.

I did find one of my control arm heat shiels was loose but I don't think that was the culprit. So I might be looking at a clutch job this winter.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has done that for 3 years, never got worse or better. I think there was a bulletin about the separator plate between the engine and transmission rubbing the flywheel under just the right conditions. I figure I will find it this summer when I swap out the tranny and put in a new clutch.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I said I already fixed the separator plate. When I first got the car it was making this super loud ringing sound around 3000 RPM, it was the separator plate. Wedged some rubber in there using a couple unused threaded bosses on the bottom of the bellhousing and it's been good ever since.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So after driving the car a few more weeks, I think 06redgt may be right. It changes with the clutch pedal pushed it. Guess I'm gonna be doing a clutch on this car next winter.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
If the sound is reduced or eliminated when you depress the clutch pedal, the culprit is the throw out bearing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back