Low Oil Pressure issue

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
For the past couple days the "Low oil pressure" comes on when i come to a stop or at idle. Oil level is where it needs to be. Anyone have this issue before?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Use a mechanical gauge to verify that the oil pressure reading is correct. Measure the oil pressure at hot idle, at 2000rpm, and post the results. Then we might be able to tell you what's wrong.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Just had a car here with a Low Oil Pressure Light on. Normal suspect would be the sending unit. In this case we found the sending wire on the drivers side of the Intake that runs to the gauge cluster to be chewed through by an animal. Winter months animals do whatever they need to stay warm. We then looked a little further and found the beginning of a nest.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
My light went off and was intermittent. I pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal...currently prepping to pull the motor.

From how the motor sounds, it's like I've got a bad rod bearing but you never know until you look and or diagnose.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
My light went off and was intermittent. I pulled the oil filter and it was full of metal...currently prepping to pull the motor.

From how the motor sounds, it's like I've got a bad rod bearing but you never know until you look and or diagnose.

I planned to do an oil change this weekend to see if there is anything in the oil. Within 1.5-2 months the car was 3 quarts of oil low.

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Just had a car here with a Low Oil Pressure Light on. Normal suspect would be the sending unit. In this case we found the sending wire on the drivers side of the Intake that runs to the gauge cluster to be chewed through by an animal. Winter months animals do whatever they need to stay warm. We then looked a little further and found the beginning of a nest.

Hmm didn’t think of looking for that will do this weekend

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Testing the waters to see if you'll build a 2015-17 5.0 based n/a engine to replace your ailing 3V. T56 mag xl.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

Oil filter full of metal...this does not look good.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I planned to do an oil change this weekend to see if there is anything in the oil. Within 1.5-2 months the car was 3 quarts of oil low.

3 quarts low on an eng that only holds 6 qts to begin with is.... bad news.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Oil filter full of metal...this does not look good.

Yeah I know...the car would still start and run but when you shut off the car you could hear a clanking noise. Like a rod bearing.

10 years, about 30k miles at ~550-700 hp combined with probably 350 passes, I'd say it did pretty good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back