Lowered Engine Mounts K-Member Question

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Hello,

2008 GT with KB, STB, Kooks headers, Magnum XL and one piece aluminum driveshaft.

I am considering a BMR K-member. However, with my blower and STB, I cannot afford even the slightest lift of the engine from where it is now -- the intake tube is already lightly touching the STB. Since I have to assume my OEM engine mount bushings are allowing a little sag after 10 years, adding the new K-member with new mounts MIGHT raise the engine too much.

So, I am considering the K-member that has the mounts lowered 1/2" (KM020R). I'm guessing with the new bushings that the engine will end up sitting about 1/4" lower than now unless I shim it.

Here is my question: If I left it lowered (even up to the whole 1/2" if the new bushings are not higher then the old), will it cause any alignment issues with my Magnum, one-piece driveshaft, and rear end? I'm picturing with the front of the transmission cocked down an extra 1/2", it will rotate the back of the trans and the driveshaft up . . . and I don't have the experience to tell me if that is going to cause any drivability issues. I talked to Kelly at BMR, and he said it would be "unlikely," but thought there was a chance the engine would have to be shimmed up. I failed to tell him about my one-piece driveshaft though, and I'm not sure if they have less room for movement.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I doubt a 1/4" up or down at the engine mounts would require a pinion angle readjustment. And even if it did, all you would need to do is a minor readjustment of the pinion angle.
You should have an adjustable UCA, as it is required by the magnum xl swap.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
1/4" difference 15 feet away isn't going to change the pinion angle enough to measure unless you're completely anal about it. And since we are discussing a bunch of moving parts, the angle is not constant anyway. Good question but you have nothing to worry about.

I also had the BMR K member with lowered motor mounts in my 643rwhp 2009 Bullitt. I also had the T56 Magnum 6 speed.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
1/4" difference 15 feet away isn't going to change the pinion angle enough to measure unless you're completely anal about it. And since we are discussing a bunch of moving parts, the angle is not constant anyway. Good question but you have nothing to worry about.

I also had the BMR K member with lowered motor mounts in my 643rwhp 2009 Bullitt. I also had the T56 Magnum 6 speed.

Good info, thank you. For what it's worth, I have to assume as much as 1/2" difference since I don't know how much the OEM mounts have sagged (unless I shim). Did you install the BMR K-member AFTER the Magnum and driveshaft (with no ill effects)?

P.S. Juice, I called JPC, who did my Magnum swap. They say that an adjustable UCA was not a requirement for the swap and not done. They opined however, if I dropped the motor, I would need to get the UCA and adjust the pinion. Sounded like they were just guessing based on general knowledge though, not on experience with these specific parts.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back