MGW or Barton?

lchauvin88

Reaction score
Looking to start racing my 11 GT on weekends. Ive already bought the vorshlag whiteline trans bushing. I have a JHR clutch line on order aswell. I want to install all the transmission supporting mods before I make a pass at the track. So onto my questions.
Ive looked at the MGW before and its a wonderful looking piece. Coming from the machinist field and having been through CNC classes I understand the extensiveness that went into design and manufacture of this piece. My only qualm is the price.
So i began looking into the Barton. I went onto americanmuscle.com and I see a vast assortment of Barton pieces. I see cheap bracket, expensive brackets, shifters, shifter bracket combo.
The prices are all over the place. So I began to wonder. What would be the better choice for my 11? Im going to be doing some drag racing and circuit racing. Im building my own air scoop similar to the Laugna Seca.

Whats everyones take?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PM Jayman33, he has had both and give you the pro's/con's of them but he is using the MGW.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
MGW. 30% reduction in throw vs Barton's 40%. The guys at MGW supposedly did extensive research and testing to see what the safest max reduction in throw was and that's what they came up with. The MGW replaces the entire assembly, lower shifter box included. The MGW includes the bracket, the MGW includes a heat shield, sound deadening material, and a new noise reducing boot.

I've had zero issues with my MGW and it was really the key to getting my transmission to perform flawlessly.

It's a smart idea to replace the transmission fluid as well.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Well I also had both n I sold my mgw for the Barton. IMO it felt more solid and with the addition of the two post bracket I feel it is superior.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I think the Barton would be a fine piece along with their bracket. The only thing that bothers me is, they didn't finish the job. MGW didn't stop at the shifter and the bracket. They produced the whole dang thing! Upper and lower assembly and the boot. They also provide dynamat for sound proofing and a heat shield. Expensive you say? Barton want 370 bucks for the shifter and the bracket. MGW want 390 that includes not only the bracket but, the lower box plus the sound proofing and heat shield, not to mention the boot which is far superior to stock.

I had the MGW on my '11 and I'll be getting another for my '13. I don't think you could really go wrong with either but, IMO, Barton didn't finish the job. Check out the link below and also, check the videos they provide for installation. If you are not impressed with MGW's attention to detail, one could only be surprised. :thumb2:

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If the $20 difference in price is still enough of a deterrent to keep you from buying the MGW, then consider their reputation for service after the sale. George and his staff always go above and beyond to take care of their customers and it doesn't matter if you bought it last week or 10 years ago. They have even sent out free replacement parts/ upgrades to people who have purchased their shifters second hand. I had a shop damage the lower grease boot on mine and inquired about purchasing a replacement boot, they immediately sent me one for free.

Robbinthehood

Reaction score
Do either of these have noise issues? I've heard of the two post making some whine and used to have a b&m on a different car that was terribly noisy.

lchauvin88

Reaction score
Guys thanks all. I was looking at the americanmuscle page and they have a barton shifter and bracket for 270. Im a long time corral forum member and with the forum discount i can get the mgw for 380shipped.

Ill pm jayman for sure. I just want to be certain this investment is the correct one.

What trans fluid is recommended? I live outside New Orleans, LA if that helps determine the fluid. I run 0w-20 mobil in my engine. What about replacing the rear axle fluid? Suggestions on that?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I use Amsoil in everything I own but am biased since I sell it.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Barton and it's a huge improvement however it does make noise. The noise is a rattle in third and 5th when the rpms are over 3k. Its like it vibrates at the bottom of the shift lever or something it drives me nuts but other than that its all good. If your going to do a shifter make sure you get rid of the fuck tard clutch spring as that was a huge factor in not missing shifts at red line. With those two mods I was able to drop my times by a good amount at the track, not miss any shifts and shift fast enough that it chirps the tires going into 4th.

With all that said I still sometimes wish the mgw was out when I made my purchase because I HATE that rattle. Anyone else get that with the Barton and know of a fix?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my take is that you need to review the posting rules, opinions on what part to buy is not tech on this board in 98% of the cases, including yours.

moved

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
If the $20 difference in price is still enough of a deterrent to keep you from buying the MGW, then consider their reputation for service after the sale. George and his staff always go above and beyond to take care of their customers and it doesn't matter if you bought it last week or 10 years ago. They have even sent out free replacement parts/ upgrades to people who have purchased their shifters second hand. I had a shop damage the lower grease boot on mine and inquired about purchasing a replacement boot, they immediately sent me one for free.

MGW for the win!! customer service is best out there...

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
MGW has included an up-graded bushing with their shifter, it's for track only, you get both versions, but you always have the option to change it out for track conditions.notice how solid the up-graded shifter is, plus with MGW your dealing direct with the manufacture and George is only a call away and will answer any questions during installation! in my book that's a winning combination.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
I use Amsoil in everything I own but am biased since I sell it.
+1....I wouldn't say that I'm biased because I sell it, I'd say I'm biased because it's a top-of-the-line product. The best around.

What trans fluid is recommended? I live outside New Orleans, LA if that helps determine the fluid. I run 0w-20 mobil in my engine. What about replacing the rear axle fluid? Suggestions on that?
For your climate I'd run Amsoil MTG transmission fluid.

Stop running Mobil, especially that light a fluid. Switch to a true synthetic such as Amsoil Sig Series/Red Line or at least Pennzoil Ultra 5w or 10w 30 and extend your drain intervals.

Differential fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 with a bottle of friction modifier. Either the Ford modifier or Amsoil modifier.

Do either of these have noise issues? I've heard of the two post making some whine and used to have a b&m on a different car that was terribly noisy.
I have zero noise issues with the MGW. Most people who do have noise issues, haven't properly installed the boot. MGW even mentions in the directions that if you don't properly install the boot and have noise issues, that's likely the culprit.

MGW has included an up-graded bushing with their shifter, it's for track only, you get both versions, but you always have the option to change it out for track conditions.notice how solid the up-graded shifter is, plus with MGW your dealing direct with the manufacture and George is only a call away and will answer any questions during installation! in my book that's a winning combination.

That's not a 2011 shifter but yes they do send two bracket bushings now.

lchauvin88

Reaction score
my take is that you need to review the posting rules, opinions on what part to buy is not tech on this board in 98% of the cases, including yours.

moved

My sincere apologies. Im used to the corral where we discuss everything about the 11+ 5.0 in one section. Pardon me Im still new to this forum. I was looking for a tech discussion about the shifters on these cars. Seeing as how it has cured lots of issues with the transmissions for these guys.

Thank you for moving it to the correct section. I do appreciate you not locking the thread.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
As far as moderation here, you'll find stkjock to be firm but fair. He doesn't play stupid mind games or hold grudges either. Once you get a feel for the rhythm around here, you'll find it to be one of the best moderated forums around.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
My sincere apologies. Im used to the corral where we discuss everything about the 11+ 5.0 in one section. Pardon me Im still new to this forum. I was looking for a tech discussion about the shifters on these cars. Seeing as how it has cured lots of issues with the transmissions for these guys.

Thank you for moving it to the correct section. I do appreciate you not locking the thread.

Well, unlike most other new members that join, you will be just fine. At least that's what I can tell by your response.

This forum takes some getting used too, and we appriciate when new members don't catch an attitude when corrected :thumb2:. Don't take anything personal when we curse either, some of us are just assholes.

Also, threads RARELY get locked around here.

lchauvin88

Reaction score
+1....I wouldn't say that I'm biased because I sell it, I'd say I'm biased because it's a top-of-the-line product. The best around.

For your climate I'd run Amsoil MTG transmission fluid.

Stop running Mobil, especially that light a fluid. Switch to a true synthetic such as Amsoil Sig Series/Red Line or at least Pennzoil Ultra 5w or 10w 30 and extend your drain intervals.

Differential fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-140 with a bottle of friction modifier. Either the Ford modifier.
The Redline and Amsoil arent sold locally on the shelf. At least not for the engine. My local dealer is also a FRPP dealer and their Shelby techs reccommend Mobil as its a synthetic. To use 0w or 5w. Thats what I was told by them anyway. They said due to the tighter tolerances in these newer engines and the variable cam timing that amsoil isnt a good choice on a molecular level.

Dont get me wrong. That didnt sound correct to me. But my warranty is on the line and I dont have 8 grand laying around for a new coyote if mine bites the dust and the techs say it was due to using 10w-30 or amsoil. This is my daily driver.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Barton and it's a huge improvement however it does make noise. The noise is a rattle in third and 5th when the rpms are over 3k. Its like it vibrates at the bottom of the shift lever or something it drives me nuts but other than that its all good. If your going to do a shifter make sure you get rid of the fuck tard clutch spring as that was a huge factor in not missing shifts at red line. With those two mods I was able to drop my times by a good amount at the track, not miss any shifts and shift fast enough that it chirps the tires going into 4th.

With all that said I still sometimes wish the mgw was out when I made my purchase because I HATE that rattle. Anyone else get that with the Barton and know of a fix?

I don't have any of those rattles.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back