Mini tub S197

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
See, I am looking at the lack of articulation from a stress standpoint. Specifically stress at the unibody end of the ladder bar. Any time you turn, say at the end of a run, I would think you are applying a large amount of load on the chassis side points of the ladder bar up until you started dragging the tire through the corner.
Maybe I am overthinking this (probably am) but it seems like the wrong way to do things with a suspension. Maybe it doesnt matter as much with soft sidewall slicks as much as a street tire but I would think that a ladder bar would react extremely poorly to any uneveness in the track surface.

Again, I wont profess to know anything about drag setups. I am willing to bet Colin Chapman would be pleased by a ladder bar setup: "Any suspension, no matter how poorly designed, can be made to work if you just keep it from moving."

Ok, I see where you are coming from. You need to realize this is a drag racing application, no street driving at all. Track car. If I am turning, the race is already over. Second, I don't race on tracks where the surface is uneven. And, I would argue for a drag racing application, a ladder bar setup is NOT a poor design.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BTW I appreciate everyones comments. Always room to learn something from various opinions.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Which in my case is significant as I am leaving on a transbrake at 4800 rpm and also squeezing right out of the hole a 200 shot.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Which in my case is significant as I am leaving on a transbrake at 4800 rpm and also squeezing right out of the hole a 200 shot.

I had a '90 GT big block car w/250 shot for a while. I have to agree, nothing like a big block car out of the whole on the bottle. Talk about getting planted back in your seat, good stuff.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes, its at the same chassis shop that did my 8.50 cage 3 years ago. Just got it recertified last week.

If it turns out good, Ken3030 is going to follow. However, he might retain the 3 link--but as far as the mini tub and notching the frame would be the same.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No turning back now.....

picture taken from passenger seat area looking back:

minitub5.jpg~original

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, its at the same chassis shop that did my 8.50 cage 3 years ago. Just got it recertified last week.

If it turns out good, Ken3030 is going to follow. However, he might retain the 3 link--but as far as the mini tub and notching the frame would be the same.

I dont understand.. tubbed AND caged? That makes too much sense.. I see way too many pro-street cars around here tubbed but without a cage :wtf:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"mini tubbed" vs "tubbed". I didn't want to tub the car as that would involve "back halving" the car and the tubs are huge. "mini tubbed" leaves the stock frame in place, all though mine will be notched, and the tub is smaller, but still allows for a significantly more tire clearance, as well as being able to drop the car over the tire vs sitting on top of it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back