"Mystery Mufflers" vs. Roush Axle Backs, Sound Comparison

DudeStang

Reaction score
Not sure if this really counts as "tech" but mods, feel free to move if necessary...

I picked up these axle backs second hand a few months back. Nobody really seemed to know where they came from (seller wasn’t sure either) so I’ve started calling them the “mystery mufflers”. This got them installed on my 2014 GT and made a video of the install and a sound comparison between these and my Roush axle backs.
96885B66-7921-4FE6-9066-D2A9A25E2192.jpeg
I did some searching and they bear slight resemblance to the flow master outlaws and the American Muscle SR performance axle backs but not close enough to either to be a confirmed match IMO.
A996B842-4A60-4315-A9DF-5C3A86772225.jpeg 366FC842-5800-4B02-8B34-241AE94D96E6.jpeg

Anyways, here’s the video. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
They look like generic glasspacks welded in place of stock mufflers with different tips. I’ve never seen hangers like those either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DudeStang

Reaction score
They look like generic glasspacks welded in place of stock mufflers with different tips. I’ve never seen hangers like those either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds plausible. A guy on another forum thought they look very similar to dynomax bullets.

The hangers do seem unique...really makes me think it's a one-off from a muffler/exhaust shop or something.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I think those are Jones' glasspacks with chrome tips welded to them. Yes, Jones brand are universal and you can get all different lengths and pipe sizes.

DudeStang

Reaction score
After driving around with the mystery mufflers for a week, I got tired of the drone...it was way worse than the Roush. This weekend I took those off and put the stock mufflers back on the first time in almost six years. I couldn't believe how quiet the car is. I still need to get the Roush mufflers cleaned up but am seriously considering trying to sell both the Roush and mystery mufflers and buy a set of the GT500 axle backs. It was actually nice being able to have a conversation with my wife without screaming while driving around the block, lol. I know I'm getting old but whatever...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back