Need Help with My ARP studs!!

A&B 06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed the same studs last sat on my rears and i had to grind a small flat spot for clearance and then the knurl was really big so i beveled them then hammered them in from the other side then a tac weld to make sure they dont move

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GOT EM' ON BABY!!!!

My camera died which sucked major balls, so no pics right now...

We pulled off the wheel/tires, brake calipers, rotors, then hammered out the stock studs. Then we did a little bit more measuring here and there and tried the first stud....IT WENT IN!!! NO DRILLING!!...I was soo happy!

Well, we got all of them in and straightened up perfect. I then proceeded to put my driver side Weld Draglite XP wheel on and it fit fine...then I started to spin the wheel and it stopped after trying to spin it all the way around.....it was some damn weights that were hitting up against the caliper.

So right now I got the stockers on and the studs stick out a bit but it really isn't all that bad. I ran up to the local shop real quick and swapped out the weights on the wheel for some clip on's. I'll have everything on tomorrow and ready to go for sure!

BTW, there were only weights on the driver side wheel and not on the passenger side. Whats up with that exactly? Could someone help explain that to me?

Thanks for all of yalls help!!!!

- Justin

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool!!! Now get some nice open lugnuts, I am shopping but I cant find black ones. They are a very tight fit but they feel very safe.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got some sweet Weld open lugs through Summit as well as some conical open lugs for the stock 18's. We ended up shredding a shit load of open lugs and just popped the tin/aluminum tops off of the stock lugs and they worked fine. I'm also gonna re torque down my wheels in about 5 or so more miles. But, do any of yall know what to torque the Weld Draglite XP's down to?

Thanks,

- Justin

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification,

The studs can be replaced without removing the axles?

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification,

The studs can be replaced without removing the axles?

Yup! All you need is a 1/2" air gun, open lug, and this special bearing tool and they'll suck right on in. Silver is right on grinding the heads down a bit to get them in. You'll also notice that the stock studs are ground down as well.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup! All you need is a 1/2" air gun, open lug, and this special bearing tool and they'll suck right on in. Silver is right on grinding the heads down a bit to get them in. You'll also notice that the stock studs are ground down as well.
"special bearing tool"? - I've always just used either a stack of washers or a nut that was larger than the stud to pull against (instead of the face of the axle flange)...

Thump - there is a well placed hole in the brake caliper mounting plate that allows you to pass the stud through. The grinding is to get past the ABS ring....

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
"special bearing tool"? - I've always just used either a stack of washers or a nut that was larger than the stud to pull against (instead of the face of the axle flange)...

Thump - there is a well placed hole in the brake caliper mounting plate that allows you to pass the stud through. The grinding is to get past the ABS ring....

The tool is this small black circular bearing. It goes over the studs first, then the open lug over it. The from there you use the gun to suck the studs through. I'm not sure how to explain it all that well but will find out for you no problem.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tool is this small black circular bearing. It goes over the studs first, then the open lug over it. The from there you use the gun to suck the studs through. I'm not sure how to explain it all that well but will find out for you no problem.
ahh - so just a fancy version of a "big nut" to prevent grinding the open lug on the surface of the axle flange... Gotcha...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back