New BMR K Member Installed, Bushing questions

Wheelz

Reaction score
Hey all, So I recently purchased a BMR K member for my 09 Bullitt, had it installed today from a local shop and well dam, that NVH is a lot more than I expected.. Whole cabin rattles at low rpms and pretty rough at around 2250-2700 rpm then calms down again. Feels like my buddies 65' Mustang! Thinking about adding dynamat now to the whole car due to this haha

Got a question about this - Is this normal compression of the motor mount bushings though? Or are these over torqued? The motor mount bolts don't seem perfectly centered either... Anyone have any input/thoughts on the bushings?

20221101-154218.jpg

20221101-154247.jpg

20221101-154218.jpg

20221101-154247.jpg

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don't remember my motor mount bushings looking like that. If I remember correctly they were a rectangular block. Did you get the K-member with the lower engine? Also the engine should be offset forward a bit on the actual K-member support. You can see in the pic they are not centered.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Well, gonna get down under the car today and check it out and take some pics and send them over to BMR again and get their input again.

Very hard to tell from the overhead picture. Really need a side picture. Have you called BMR?

I haven't called BMR, just sent them an email and they sent me a picture showing the bushings compressed at all. It should look like this compressed. I'll get down and get some more pics from the side
image001.png

I don't remember my motor mount bushings looking like that. If I remember correctly they were a rectangular block. Did you get the K-member with the lower engine? Also the engine should be offset forward a bit on the actual K-member support. You can see in the pic they are not centered

Hmm interesting, never seen a rectangular block bushing on their site. I got the regular height K-member.

Last edited:

Wheelz

Reaction score
Based on the last 2 pics, they seem to be overtightened.
Bout to head back to the shop and see what they can do about shifting the K member over to the passenger side about a 1/4" inch and to loosen up the bolts on the bushings

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, never seen a rectangular block bushing on their site. I got the regular height K-member.

I'm probably wrong on that as all of my car fixin shit is one big mushy spot in my brain. Probably thinking about my wife's Hyundai's mounts or something. I should go look. I did my own install and not sure how hard I cranked those mounts.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Based on the last 2 pics, they seem to be overtightened.
Well, they said the provided bolts weren't long enough to back them out enough, so they're gonna switch out the bolts to some longer ones to give the bushings less compression on it. Im hoping it changes the harshness of the vibrations the BMR K-member has introduced...

Wheelz

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the K-member/engine not lining up centered? To me it looks like the k-member is shifted slightly towards the driver's side. Would that be something to be concerned about? They did do an alignment on it, it drives straight as i can tell.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/97V8LYMm7RXd2XfJ9

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Is the K-memeber shifted or the motor? There is some room to wiggle the motor from side to side but I can't see the K-member having any leeway with alignment during install.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Somebody went crazy here with 200 lbs of torque!

That's what I'm thinking! I'm thinking the shop overtorqued everything now...

Is the K-memeber shifted or the motor? There is some room to wiggle the motor from side to side but I can't see the K-member having any leeway with alignment during install.

Looks like the K-member is shifted a bit to the drivers side. The motor mount bolts look a tiny off centered from the motor mount engine bracket.

I got the car back today, shop installed longer bolts and the car seems a bit softer now. The bushings still seem a bit compressed so I might just unloosen them a tad at home. I honestly feel like I should back each bolt out 1 by 1 and retorque them myself to spec...

Last edited:

Wheelz

Reaction score
Looks like the hole thing was thrown in there and hammered in place with a rattle gun.

I agree! The shop's reviews were decent so I gave it a shot... I don't think they know any more than the basic maintenance on cars, I regret going there.

Speed VS doing it right.

Agreed. Already contacted an actual race shop that does suspensions, hopefully they can take a look at the installed K-member and let me know their opinion.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Anyone on here who has a BMR K-member installed, would you be able to provide any pics of your bushings compression for comparison?

For those who have a BMR K-member installed, would you be able to show/provide a video of the inside of the car while driving, to compare if its like mine...

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Look on the BMR site for the install instructions. Loosen all the fasteners mentioned in the instructions. Shift, rattle, wiggle and pry the K member and engine bolts around until they look more centered and tighten the k member bolts in stages to the recommended torque. Then move on to the motor mounts and so on. Use a torque wrench and the clamp force will be correct on the bushings if you draw them up together.

Wheelz

Reaction score
Look on the BMR site for the install instructions. Loosen all the fasteners mentioned in the instructions. Shift, rattle, wiggle and pry the K member and engine bolts around until they look more centered and tighten the k member bolts in stages to the recommended torque. Then move on to the motor mounts and so on. Use a torque wrench and the clamp force will be correct on the bushings if you draw them up together.

I'm gonna try to do this but without messing with the control arms, I don't want to have to get another alignment. I'm pretty sure I can shift the K-member without having to undo the spindles from it. Just shifting the K-member shouldn't mess with the alignment, or would it?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back