New house, new renovation project :)

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you planning on paint all those doors teal or just the one door is going to be teal?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Are you planning on paint all those doors teal or just the one door is going to be teal?

Done painting doors.
Only teal door is the one to the bathroom.
Had a party here last weekend, it was certainly easy to tell people where the bathroom was :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got a shelving unit built for the storage tent we have in the back yard.
140" long, about 70" tall, roughly 15" deep (12" shelves plus the studs).
It's large, heavy, and awkward to move, but my fiancee and I were able to move it into the tent.

37180821223_e3177a4a4b_b.jpg

And it's shaped the way it is so it follows the shape of the tent:

37180820423_54dbf6e641_b.jpg

I did it mostly so that all the new-to-us '60's Mustang parts can be stored off-the-ground and behind the '69 Mach 1 shell that's coming back early next week from media blasting.
Started with one of the doors, and I wish I made that spacing a bit taller, but I was still able to get the door off the ground:

37191017494_149509ca16_b.jpg

And yeah, there's a lot of parts in there ... some in better shape than others, some will eventually be sold or traded for others ...

37180820033_3d52d58c58_b.jpg

And the '69 Mach 1, as it was last Monday, on the way to media blasting:

37190956024_9f14e6f851_b.jpg

37190955774_914ca96199_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Organized some of the '60's Mustang parts onto the new shelving unit I built and installed in the large canvas tent in the back yard. The hood is rotted on the inside so I don't think it will get re-used, but it's not up to me since it's not my project.
Tomorrow I'm picking up the car from media blasting and zinc coating, so I had to do this today to make room for it.
We also have a 390 V8 to bring home, but not sure how I'll do that since it's a heavy fucker and I don't have a hoist

37190909304_1c6ebb7a3f_b.jpg

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Since you're going to need it anyway, my suggestion is to hit Harbor Freight and pick up an engine hoist (and probably an engine stand as well). Stuff like that is cheap and you can resell it on Craigslist after you're done with it and recoup 50-75% of your cost.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
We're getting a stand with the engine.
I just spoke with a friend who has a hoist, he'll let me borrow it when I need it, but yeah eventually I want my own

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Since you're going to need it anyway, my suggestion is to hit Harbor Freight and pick up an engine hoist (and probably an engine stand as well). Stuff like that is cheap and you can resell it on Craigslist after you're done with it and recoup 50-75% of your cost.

Or just start on craigslist, they can take up decent amount of room and some people just get fed up and want it gone for almost nothing.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
You can get the 2 ton new from HF for 110 bucks if you wait for the coupon. Legs fold up, and the arm goes in far enough to not make it a big pain storing it. I had to buy the 2 ton one to clear the hood of my trans am since my 1 ton's arm wouldn't extend far enough even when trying to load in from the side with fender removed.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Gabe, its not your project? Who's is it?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
You can get the 2 ton new from HF for 110 bucks if you wait for the coupon. Legs fold up, and the arm goes in far enough to not make it a big pain storing it. I had to buy the 2 ton one to clear the hood of my trans am since my 1 ton's arm wouldn't extend far enough even when trying to load in from the side with fender removed.

Thanks, yeah I'm most likely gonna get one of them, since we're gonna need one for the '69 and I'm planning on a new engine for my '13 as well, so it'll be good to just have one.

Gabe, its not your project? Who's is it?

My fiancee's son.
He has a 2004 Mach 1 and bought the '69 Mach 1 a few months ago when he was up here visiting (he's in the Army and we don't get to see him much).

Picked it up Monday, it looks much better all one color, stripped and zinc-coated:

37180692543_cecd499e44_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Still doing stuff here and there around the house, today I installed a new coat hook rack at the entrance.
The cool stuff about the wood boards is that they are reclaimed wood from the horse stalls at the old Rockingham Park horse racetrack in Salem NH.
The boards even have some marks on them from the horses.
Combined them with some satin nickel hooks for an awesome rustic/modern combo.

I didn't do any bracing since the top shelf is quite solid, I have five 3"-long deck screws going through it into the top of the other piece

37190853984_6cfa04b448_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Built a tire rack today, made out of 2x4's and a whole bunch of 3" screws, secured to the wall as well.
Two tire shelves and a heavy duty top shelf.

And I lucked out and had enough space next to the wheels/tires for my stack of wood cribbing that I sometimes use when I lift a car (if I don't have to take off the tires, I use the wood and set the tires down on the wood pieces).

Now I have to figure out what to do with all the room I freed up in the garage, lol.

24048573908_4041829538_b.jpg

I then removed the small shelf above the new rack, used some of that shelf for a new smaller shelf above the higher set of tires, and also put up a few hooks for my cat-delete pipes and some extra exhaust clamps I have, and I completely filled the top shelf with all kinds of heavy crap.

24048563248_f16f854333_b.jpg

Last edited:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Not bad, I should do something better with tire storage. Although in general I want to do a row of high shelving and/or cabinets to get as much off the floor as possible.. truck, mustang, snowblower, tractor with plow, generator, etc. is killing floor space. Was thinking same when I do tire rack, get it up near ceiling (yes back breaking but again out of way).

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Not bad, I should do something better with tire storage. Although in general I want to do a row of high shelving and/or cabinets to get as much off the floor as possible.. truck, mustang, snowblower, tractor with plow, generator, etc. is killing floor space. Was thinking same when I do tire rack, get it up near ceiling (yes back breaking but again out of way).

Meh, they're only about 60 lbs, not that bad, lol.

Today I built up a small hanger thingy for the weed wacker, didn't take any pictures.
Also re-did the cat tree since the evil bastards haven't used it at all. Re-did a couple of the shelves to make it less intimidating.
We'll see if they use it now.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Years ago I built a cat scratching post for my cats. It was a single 6' tall 4x4 wrapped in carpet with a shelf on top. My cats didn't want to use it at first. When I caught them scratching the couch, I would grab them and throw them on the cat post about halfway up. It only took a few times before they figured out that the post was their 'safe space' and after that one of them was always sleeping on the top shelf.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Meh, they're only about 60 lbs, not that bad, lol.

Today I built up a small hanger thingy for the weed wacker, didn't take any pictures.
Also re-did the cat tree since the evil bastards haven't used it at all. Re-did a couple of the shelves to make it less intimidating.
We'll see if they use it now.

Ha, it's kind of funny when I move around the subaru wheels feel like Hercules with the 215/45R17's on aluminum wheels compared to the 275 20's on the stang & the truck.

Ugh the weedwhackers are always in the way, that's another I need to figure out. My buddies were just giving me hardtime about rearranging garage, I'm probably on my 10th setup in 3yrs :yaoface:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I'm psyched to no longer have the weed wacker leaning against a wall in the garage near my car ... now hanging on its own holder. Perfect! Thank you Pinterest for the idea, haha

37869562262_bb14f1e9e1_b.jpg

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Haven't updated this thread in a while, been still doing stuff here and there on the house, mostly in the back yard where we had a whole bunch of trees cut down by one of those "we drop'em for free but take the good wood and leave you the trash" companies. Took us a few months to clean up the yard of all the brush and other debris he left behind, but we now have a much better view of all the property we have to deal with.

Last few days I've been working in the small "basement" room under the sunroom, a weird room that can only be entered from the outside through a makeshift bulkhead, and which has a dirt floor, low ceiling (only about 6.5'), and it had terrible insulating done to it.

I ripped out all the old insulation inside, the old paneling that was up, cleaned/vacuumed all the bays, then started the re-insulating process.
Sprayed in foam insulation, packed the bays with R15 Roxul insulation, put up plywood to hold it all in and add more strength as well as a bit more insulation, then added 2" solid foam sheeting.

The old entrance set-up:

37181891243_943bb2ef32_b.jpg

That whole side is getting re-done, 2 days ago it looked like this:

37853533556_728f58ebcf_b.jpg

The room also had 2 small very drafty windows:

37901389401_780f9cecc3_b.jpg

Those windows have now been closed in, 1/2" plywood on the outside, new 2x4 stud framing on the inside.

The same wall as above with the 2 windows, now with the windows gone, and the sprayed insulation done:

37182499493_c6f62ec84d_b.jpg

Now with the Roxul stuff installed, the plywood added, a new double-2x10 beam installed, and more framing on the inside of this wall, to make it stronger and get it ready to support the new bigger deck we plan to hang off it next spring:

(sorry about the weird panoramic pic, it's tight in there and taking a pic of the whole wall is hard)
37644836770_dcf54a97a3_b.jpg

The wall now insulated again with regular pink insulation:

37901731961_663c0cf61f_b.jpg

Packed the upper bays with more Roxul, then covered the whole wall with more plywood, glued and screwed to the studs and the new upper beam, notching the plywood to have it cover the Roxul in the upper bays (which stick out about a foot as an overhang):

37644842770_c581b78d30_b.jpg

And the final pic of this wall, with the 2" solid foam insulation added, also notched for the upper bays, and with the last of the spray foam I had sprayed into all the little crevices I could find:

37644848000_bdb4fd8c22_b.jpg

Didn't do anything with the ceiling in this room, the sunroom is above it, and between the 50 degrees of the Earth below and the super-insulated side walls, we didn't find it necessary to insulate the ceiling too.

All the exterior walls in this room are now done like above, it's freaking toasty when I'm working in there.
Looking forward to finishing this project, which will actually see this whole room get closed in, door gone, outside area leveled off, and the side of the house will be re-framed below to go straight down, eliminating the overhang and the cubbies outside on both sides of those old doors where leaves would constantly collect.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got busy today and copied some Pinterest ideas for re-using old pallets.

Used 2 pallets for yard tool storage:

26224270009_0c3c05042a_o.jpg

I cut up 3 other pallets and re-used 2 of them as tables and 1 as a wall in-between the tables, with various hooks installed all over:

26224269109_d2227152de_o.jpg

I now have way more storage space available in there than I ever did, even with the snow blower and the lawn mower in there:

24148537538_092b6c3c65_o.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Over the last few days (with huge help from my brother-in-law) I made serious progress on the project to close-in the entrance to the weird room under the sunroom.
Finished the extra framing, fully insulated, eliminated the electrical in there, and closed-in the doors, fully insulated on the outside, with new framing to bring the wall of the sunroom all the way down to the ground, eliminating the weird overhang.

Went from this

37416134684_012d31e370_o.jpg

To this, so far (the cement board is gonna get covered in "Quickwall", a fiber-reinforced cement)

38125413321_602aa0fee3_o.jpg

The area still needs to be re-graded to take water away from the house.
I removed the pavers in this pic, they got re-used elsewhere, the whole area will get a new crushed-stone cover, or so the current plan is.
That 5'-wide "balcony" is in the plan to be replaced by a much larger deck in the spring.

38125414801_e321e13a3e_o.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back