Now thats heavy

gloryboy

Reaction score
I just picked up a new gt500 clutch / flywheel setup for when the bottom end gets built. This flywheel weighs a ton........is the stock gt flywheel this heavy? I wasn't sure if despite it being an 8 bolt flywheel it was different from the stock gt flywheel.

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
Is it an alum or steel flywheel? I thought my Findaza alum flywheel was a bit heavy too until I picked up my stocker.

LSlayer

forum member
Reaction score
It may be heavier. I'm guessing you've got a TR-6060 waiting around too huh.

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the weight physically, but my Mcloude alum flywheel cranks a whole lot easier that the stocker did.

gloryboy

Reaction score
It may be heavier. I'm guessing you've got a TR-6060 waiting around too huh.

Not yet, but I'm leaning that way........I might just throw a 26 spline input shaft in my stock tranny if the cost isn't too killer........

gloryboy

Reaction score
I don't know about the weight physically, but my Mcloude alum flywheel cranks a whole lot easier that the stocker did.

I've seen some debate on whether or not to switch to an aluminum fw and was thinking steel might be the way to go for driveability reasons, but after seeing how heavy that thing is, i think aluminum is in my future....

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
I just weighed them both. The GT500 clutch/flywheel is 7# lighter than the stocker. Plus, the GT500 has most of the weight much closer to the center which should make it act much lighter than the stock unit.

gloryboy

Reaction score
I just weighed them both. The GT500 clutch/flywheel is 7# lighter than the stocker. Plus, the GT500 has most of the weight much closer to the center which should make it act much lighter than the stock unit.

Hey Ryan, thanks for the info. Now i know why so many people have switched to aluminum.......

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I've seen some debate on whether or not to switch to an aluminum fw and was thinking steel might be the way to go for driveability reasons, but after seeing how heavy that thing is, i think aluminum is in my future....
what would the driveability issue be with an aluminum flywheel? I'm going to be looking at flywheels and clutches very soon, I've noticed aluminum and steel ones are usually the same price.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the aluminums are usually more... at least $100 from what I recall when I was clutch shopping

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back