O/R X-Pipe No Tune

Twin_Screwed_Cobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm planning on putting on this new mid-pipe and running it for a week or two before I get a custom tune for it in the mail. I know it will throw an engine light due to the missing cats but I wanted to ask will this make it run really rich or lean? I'm assuming it won't but I wanted to double check just to make sure. My A/F is something like 12.2-12.8 I believe with my current mods.

Thanks

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You'll be fine for a while.
FYI There is also a feature going on that dumps some fuel to cool the non-existent cats, which will be turned off when you get an updated tune.

jcw427

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It shouldn't be an issue short term. But I wouldn't run like that all season or anything.

Twin_Screwed_Cobra

forum member
Reaction score
Just a little update:

Car feels a little down on torque and overall power (I'm hoping the new tune will fix this) and when I get on it I can smell a little gas as if it is running rich. I'm guessing that's due to the extra fuel being dumped for the non-existent cats? Not worried about it I'm just curious of what the smell is due to. I know it's not leaking because I've checked over everything several times.

007GTCS

forum member
Reaction score
Factory tune runs richer to cool cats, now that it doesn't have it, you will smell gas. Even with a new tune you are still going to have a little bit of that smell. It's the nature of the beast lol

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
I know it's a little different. But would this apply to Longtubes on a 5.0? I'm going to put some on but my tuners shop is about a hour from me. Will the factory wideband account for there being no cats?

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Kyle, no tune required for long tube headers on your car. DO NOT USE THE O2 EXTENSIONS that come with the headers. You simply unhook the O2 wiring from the top of the trans and you will have enough wire to reach. You will need a tune to turn off the rear O2's if going catless.

Last edited:

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah it will be catless. Going to blankenship for the tuning. I'll remeber to not use the extenders. I have heard they cause issues.

dugstang

forum member
Reaction score
Catless def makes the exhaust smell...like 07grabr said. Its the nature of the beast. Ive ran catless on all my mustangs, its not that bad to deal with...unless you have cutouts.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Revive

I'm about to pick up some BBK cat delete pipes. I won't be able to get my hands on a tune for maybe a month or so. But due to the circumstances, I can't pass up the free BBK cat delete pipes and catback exhaust. I saw some folks said running a couple of weeks is ok. Anyone run longer than that?

Aesthetics28

forum member
Reaction score
Ur o2's are before the midpipe it won't affect anything but just a check engine line

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Ur o2's are before the midpipe it won't affect anything but just a check engine line

There are two sets. Upstream before the cats and downstream after the cats. From what I understand the the ones downstream are to monitor the cats and make sure they're in working order. Deleting the cats will make the engine think that the nonexistent cats are running too hot and initiate COT. I just don't know if it's safe to run that for an extended period.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Catless def makes the exhaust smell...like 07grabr said. Its the nature of the beast. Ive ran catless on all my mustangs, its not that bad to deal with...unless you have cutouts.

You could substitute the cats with a pair of small resonators. They'll absorb some of the sound and reduce the smell.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I'm planning on putting on this new mid-pipe and running it for a week or two before I get a custom tune for it in the mail. I know it will throw an engine light due to the missing cats but I wanted to ask will this make it run really rich or lean? I'm assuming it won't but I wanted to double check just to make sure. My A/F is something like 12.2-12.8 I believe with my current mods.

Thanks

If you are somewhere you need to get smogged you can build a couple of these and wire them between your front and rear sensors. They are basically homemade rear cat sims. Takes the signal from the front and steps it down to simulate that the cats are working. I wired these up and stuck them on my drive shaft loop mount, and passed my obd smog test.

Reaction score
If you are somewhere you need to get smogged you can build a couple of these and wire them between your front and rear sensors. They are basically homemade rear cat sims. Takes the signal from the front and steps it down to simulate that the cats are working. I wired these up and stuck them on my drive shaft loop mount, and passed my obd smog test.

That's pretty slick man! :waytogo:

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score

Do you have a write up on this?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back