Obligatory stupid catch can question!!!!!!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So ive been running a moroso can for awhile now on the passenger side on my coyote. It does a good job catching oil but im not sure its a prefect solution. I want to understand how they work with the engine and what the best solutions are out there. I had breathers on the engine but they made a mess on the driver's side and i didnt like that. Now i do notice on my engine that i have oil inside the tb and intake coming from the driver's side. I know most people say that most of the oil comes from the passenger side and while this may be true i do notice quite a bit of oil coming from the driver's side too. Options, The Peterson can looks like a nice setup, but when looking at it, its nothing more than a glorified breather. It doesnt have a vacuum source pulling the vapored air through it, it just relies on the engine forcing the crankcase pressure to it. Do we run 2 catch cans? Who makes the best looking and functioning can? Who makes one that is 100% sealed and doesnt allow unmetered air into the intake? The new thing is running a F150 Ecoboost pcv valve. Its been reported to not let any vapors though it, maybe thats because you cant blow through it? The ecoboost has higher crankcase pressure forcing the valve open, i dont see that being beneficial to us coyote owners. We need a way for the pressure to evacuate from the crankcase. Please help me understand all of this or what is the 100% best solution. Please dont say JLT!!!!!

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Did Irene type that title? I KNOW you don't know what "obligatory" means.

:lol::poke:

What's this Ecoboost stuff you're referring to??:yo: Snake oil!!!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lol you were the one who told me about it. Then i had to go read up on it.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Talk to UPR? They put a lot of research into their setups for the 15's.

TW1NTRB0

forum member
Reaction score
If you want 100% sealed and one that works check out Bob's Autosport. The problem with the JLT is it's straight through and the lines are short and it just pushes the vapors through. Never liked his setup or the logic behind it. Short lines and a straight through design are going to push the vapors right on through. I ran it for a few months and I never saw oil in the can but I did find it in the intake tract and cut the lines to his can and found that they were covered in oil. The Bobs on the other hand actually goes into the can and is forced through the filter element and then through the outlet and back into the intake tract. It's not perfect but that's the best solution for a bolt on setup. Do not mount anything to your firewall with a breather on it or you will smell the fumes in the cabin unless you run the cabin circulation all the time.

The setup I run is an all-star catch can with a breather. I deleted the pcv system and run both valve covers to the can. Each line is about 3ft and it's mounted to the lower portion of the radiator. If you have a lot of blow by the fan will dissapate it before the steam can run up and out the hood. I ran breathers before and it was an oily mess but for me on the drivers side. I had a lot of steam and blow by on my stock motor and when it was pulled and built my motor looked good as new. 21000 miles at 650 plus on nitrous, supercharger and twin turbos and I could have kept going. The Coyote just spits out vapor like candy and it's completely normal.

Another route you can take is grab a vacuum pump off a newer ford taurus and route it to the crankcase and provide power. I've seen quite a few doing this now and it's a nice setup if you want a sealed system. My engine builder runs this setup on his 1600hp race car and I may duplicate it but my conversation with him was I do not need it as the rings seat immediately, you don't need a sealed system to seat the rings like what people are spreading around the net. The crankcase would just be better at evacuating the crankcase pressures sealed but from what I can tell the Coyote doesn't need help.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
The JLT is just fine if you add a wad of stainless mesh to the catch can portion of it. Specifically, stainless scrubber pad from the cleaning aisle in the grocery store. I've been running this on my GT500 for a year and it works perfectly. That being said, I'm working with Bob's Autosports right now to develop a catchcan for my blown jetski that makes 16+ lbs of boost. They were interested right off the bat in helping me, whereas JLT practically hung up on me.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
+1 on the Bobs. I just installed one on my car a few weeks ago. I called and asked if they had a kit for the 4.6, and Steve was very helpful. Told me he hadn't had a chance to install one on a 4.6, but if I dropped by he would give me a bunch of parts to make it work. So I hung around and shot the shit with him for a while, he was very helpful and the can is top notch. Like S197 on Spray mentioned, the vapors are pushed right up though the filter media and into the can. Not only are the people at BAS helpful, but their products are great as well. I was emailing Steve pics of how I had my can routed and he was emailing back Sat/Sun night.

Another thing with Bobs kits is that they include larger lines, so the air has a chance to slow down a bit before it hits the can. Between slowing down and being forced through the media, it will grab a lot more vapors than the JLT. The JLT also looses effectiveness as it gets full, because there is less area for the vapors to pass through/dwell.

Last edited:

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Bob's here too with the longer hoses. It works good...

Attachments

• IMG_2967.JPG
    IMG_2967.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 98

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On my 05 4.6L running 14lbs of boost I'm running a Stef"s air oil separator #5128, if I'm not mistaken, on the drivers side.
There is absolutely no oil getting to my intake and blower with that catch can.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I did ok with the JLT but only because I ran two of them in series on my 4.6. The second can caught almost as much as the first can.

You can sort of see them beside the valve cover in this pic.
IMG_2516.jpg

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I run the Peterson setup. I check it at every oil change and only see residue of some oil.

Mine is mounted to the firewall, and only smell it once in a while, not all the time.

claudermilk

Reaction score
I'm using the Bob's one now and it's catching oil. Before I used the Moroso, and it worked well, too (only switched as other mods made it not fit anymore).

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any time you bypass the pcv system you are doing a disservice to your engine. There are more benefits to keeping it working properly, thats why i started this thread. I wanted to know if the principals were the same as older engines. After talking to several people behind the scenes i found out they are. Now im working with UPR on a solution.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Every RacecaR I've ever had has had the PCV system removed and run breathers. Every DD car that I don't mod I've left the PCV system intact. With that said the, the more outlets or brothers you run, the less of a mess. In fact with the valve removed and breathers on both covers along with an oil cap breather I get zero mess with the 3 breathers.

You can see two on the passenger side and one is hidden under the intake tube. Let me see if I can find a better pic.

Here are a couple more for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Sucks to hear you had a mess with breathers. Been running breathers for a while now and even after aggressive driving I haven't had much of anything to clean up. I do smell oil frequently however.

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
I have the UPR/ Billet Technology copy and it seems to work very well and collect a lot,
I have an earlier revision but they seem to have a new piece that improves it even further

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back