Odyssey PC680 battery

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback from guys using an Odyssey PC680 battery. I have one in my low-tech/carbureted kit car (408cid/10.5:1 compression ratio), and it's been great for six full years now. Of course, that car has very few electrical loads, and draws absolutely zero current when shut off. A modern Mustang is a different story electrically speaking...
I'd like to replace the full size NAPA battery in my '06 GT with the PC680 to save weight. Good idea? Bad idea? Discuss.....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well wrong terminals on it

light weight batteries have been discussed and used on the board by many members - most with good results.

you'll have to fab up a bracket or box to hold it in place.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used one for 2-3 years with no issues until I upgraded my fuel pumps and found out the hard way how vital a battery with the correct amperage is; I was at the track and could not get a clean run in, car was not going WOT/TB blade open fully and it drove us nuts..it was not until the car was being driven back from the track and the car would start load shedding every 3-5 mins that we figured out though the battery read fine and would start the car with no issues it was not providing the neccessar amps to keep with with the upgraded fuel pumps.

So...if you have a bolt on car/even a FI with a BAP you will be fine, once you upgrade to twin 405 pumps you will have an issue....

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
I don't have the exact listed battery but you can try what I did. I found a battery which fit into a Honda with 400cca at the local NAPA which fit into the stock battery tray perfectly and was half of what my stock battery weighed. ill find the part number when I get home tonight and post.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I had that battery in my car. If it was warm outside it was fine. If it was cold it had issues. Perhaps I had a faulty battery? If I had to do it again I would go with a Braille battery. For the same physical size the Braille is more powerful. Good luck.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
custom hold down?

DSC_4261-S.jpg

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
I use the stock battery tray and drilled a shorter hole in the battery tie down cloth to secure it better.

It does have problems starting up when it dips below 50-60 degrees or so. Warm weather climates should fare better. Im in So Cal and it can have trouble starting up in the mornings.

Takes a few seconds of cranking but it does start.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I use the stock battery tray and drilled a shorter hole in the battery tie down cloth to secure it better.

I did the same thing except I only used the factory tie down. I also hit the hole with a soldering iron to keep the hold together and not start to unravel.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
custom hold down?

Yes. It is all shown step-by-step here: http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects/S197-Mustang-race-battery/

First I removed the stock fiberglass/composite battery tray, then made this "adapter bracket" out of aluminum. This bracket bolted to the factory battery tray mounting holes + added more holes for another bracket...

DSC_4244-M.jpg

Then I used this store-bought bracket made for a PC680 (West Coast Batteries HDB 680) and bolted it to the "adapter" bracket I made (above step). This used counter sunk bolts to flush mount the store bought bottom to my adapter bracket...

DSC_4247-M.jpg

The adapter bracket I made kind of hung out in space so I made this support stand to bolt to the lower factory mounting hole...

DSC_4250-M.jpg

This extra "stand" gave my adapter bracket 3 bolt holes to mount too (it is bolted under the 3rd hole, at the right, in the below pic)...

DSC_4254-M.jpg

Then the store-bought bracket bolted in place...

DSC_4257-M.jpg

Then the battery went in place....

DSC_4258-M.jpg

Then the CNC top bracket bolted to the base assembly....

DSC_4259-M.jpg

Viola!

I made this all with a band saw, drill, and a welder. Kind of ghetto but it is rock solid and has withstood years of abuse, plus I didn't have to drill a single hole into the car and it fit with the factory positive and negative cables. I can unbolt all of this and reinstall the stock bits in 5 minutes.

Cheers,

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
hardly looks ghetto, looks good, well done Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back