Oil catch can issues.

Johnstone

forum member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is getting blue smoke at startup.. not always, it just happened once so far. He recently installed an oil catch. Can this cause any issues with that?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not if he i stalled it correctly

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
What he said.
If the catch can was indeed installed correctly, this may be the first sign of worn valve stem oil seals.
How many miles on the engine?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
There is one oil catch can - it's called a mann provent.

If he has any of those other things, it's just a way station that collects some small amount of liquid from the PCV before passing it on into the engine as it always would go.

The smoke is probably fuel.

AnotherS197

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've noticed in the past that if I start the car to move it say a couple feet and immediately shut it off and do it a few times (pull it out of the garage to wash it, pull it back in, pull it out again to work on or move something, pull it back in), it'll have a small puff of what looks like oil smoke. If the car fully warmed up during the previous drive, no matter how long it has sat, I do not get that same puff. This would lead me to believe seals are fine.

My guess is when cold either I don't have full combustion chamber sealing, or the pcv system draws in more crap when I first start it. Either makes sense to me. Depending on when your friend's car exhibits this, it may be similar and explained by the first condition. YMMV.

Aerofinz

Reaction score
... if I start the car to move it say a couple feet and immediately shut it off and do it a few times (pull it out of the garage to wash it, pull it back in, pull it out again to work on or move something, pull it back in), it'll have a small puff of what looks like oil smoke... YMMV.

Agree, under similar conditions it is normal, (extremely) common and not an issue. Both my '07's with less than 10,000 miles and a previous 5.4L Lightning with less than 2,000 miles all will puff blue (it is oil) after a very short start/stop (cold and backed out of garage to wash, as above, etc.) and restarted a short time after. It's a decent obvious amount.

High miles, frequent and especially when warm, probably a wear issue (guides, seals), etc.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
FWIW, I've noticed in the past that if I start the car to move it say a couple feet and immediately shut it off and do it a few times (pull it out of the garage to wash it, pull it back in, pull it out again to work on or move something, pull it back in), it'll have a small puff of what looks like oil smoke. If the car fully warmed up during the previous drive, no matter how long it has sat, I do not get that same puff. This would lead me to believe seals are fine.

Sounds like it's probably smoke from unburnt fuel, which is normal when you start the engine from cold and shut down after only a few seconds.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back