Oil pressure gauge maxed out?

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Just got my car back on the road and the oil pressure gauge on the cluster is pegged out at max. I couldn't find anything on search, possible bad sensor or bad connector? What could cause this?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I would think bad sensor. IIRC, the closer to 0 ohms the higher the gauge would read. Meaning a dead short would max out the gauge. At least that's how it was in the older cars. So if it still works that way if the sending unit is bad unplugging the sending unit should cause the gauge to read 0. Then if you short it to the engine it should read max.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
the gauge is just a dummy gauge. either yes or no, if its pegged its probably a stepper motor issue.

However would be a good thing to double check if your paranoid on it

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1, it is not really a "pressure gauge", but more like a dummy light: when there is pressure, it will show somewhere around middle, and with no pressure, it will peg to the left. Pegging to the right is most likely a stepper motor issue.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
So, we think it's the gauge on the instrument cluster itself? Does the cluster get the mileage from the PCM and I can swap any cluster in there?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ The gauge cluster holds the OD data, I'm about 99% sure of. I have seen them for sale with the OD value so going on that alone I conclude this. On the other related question I had a friend here at work who actually repaired his 06 cluster that developed some issues. I believe there is a kit available, but not sure the source as I have been fortunate not to have that on the Mustangs but may be having to deal with it soon on my 99 F150.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You can swap them and get it programmed at a dealer.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back