One More #8 Kids!

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Sorry didn't mean the piston itself , I thought they were talking about the # of engines that were popped with a Brenspeed tune.I just find it hard to believe it is 5 or 6, if that were the case Brent / Brenspeed would have fixed the problem by now if in fact it is tune related.

If that's the case they aren't sending revised tunes to their existing customers.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
A Brenspeed race tune will get you through the traps at over 114 mph. It just might not get you home lol.

Orrin-Nuthatch-Black-Eye--55362.jpg

OUCH!!! That's gonna leave a mark!!

:laughlots::lol:

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
If I had one of those 11+ GTs, I'd definitely rip that 5.0L out ASAP and throw a 3V into it.

I'm such a nice guy that I'll even offer my 3V as an even trade to any of your 5.0L guys who are worried and want to make the swap.

that's why i love my 2010 so much.. tried and true 3v/5spd powertrain with the styling and interior of the 11. plus i don't have the stupid convex mirrors or back seat headrests lol

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've had nothing but good experiences with Brenspeed, I use there tunes currently. Had the choice to choose between the 93 race or 93 street and I'm starting to thank myself for choosing street. I would think they would work something out since I don't think its common with their customers. Call them, see if they'll work out a deal, maybe some discounts on labor and parts. You never know but thats if you're not on the West Coast.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Sucks. Isn't that like the 4th or 5th car for brenspeed?

I would like to know what he was doing prior to the failure... No one seems to fes up what they were doing when they blow their #8 cylinder.

Are you just guessing? Can you supply links for this info?

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Had the choice to choose between the 93 race or 93 street and I'm starting to thank myself for choosing street.

I saw one post that tanked #8 on a BS street tune. Just a heads up.

But seriously I feel I've been keeping up on this pretty well and out of all the tunes BS sends out I've only counted 2 which seems pretty good since they are most likely in the top 2 for volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reaction score
Are you just guessing? Can you supply links for this info?

No that's why my post was formed in the form of a question. I've thought i have read that brenspeed has had the most failures somewhere. Last i checked this meant "?" question though.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
Just trying to find out if there was any hard info to you posing the question. There are different types of questions such as: hey, would you like another drink or ..Hey did any one else hear 302 is gay? Just a couple of examples.

Last edited:

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Damn, not good. Friend of mine blew his (Bama Tune) after doing a 60-160 pull. Blew when he was slowing down after the pull (engine down revving)

Has he spoke with Bama? Apparently they are backing up their tunes with repair work.

Reaction score
Just trying to find out if there was any hard info to you posing the question. There are different types of questions such as: hey, would you like another drink or ..Hey did any one else hear 302 is gay? Just a couple of examples.

No, i'm just not the one(red candy 5.0) that has been extensively beating this issue down everytime i read about it on another messagebaord then post about it on the other boards. I did a little digging about the guy in the newest #8 thread and apparently he's installed a TR6060 in the car. Then when i dug a little deeper and beyond him commenting on how nice cars are, and his TR6060 swap he posted a video of him beating the car while street racing. So i can gather(my opinion) that the person who blew the engine really has no regard for the car in the first place, and/or has a lot of money and does not care if he or she breaks something. I just want to know how these cars were being driven prior to failing, and no one is really coming out and stating what happened prior. I don't see this issue cropping up on a mustang that has a tune and the owner uses it for a grocery getter while driving it "spirited" as some call it.

FYI: The car in question in this thread on the #8 is kona blue.

Brenspeed

forum member
Reaction score
Sucks. Isn't that like the 4th or 5th car for brenspeed?

I would like to know what he was doing prior to the failure... No one seems to fes up what they were doing when they blow their #8 cylinder.

This is actually the 3rd customer who has contacted us about this issue. 3rd customer in the last year and of those 3 we have probably sent out atleast 500-600 2011 5.0 tunes. The first customer of ours who blew a number 8 the Ford engineer covered it under warranty due to an oil squirter failing, the second (who i believe is a member on here) broke a rod bearing (split in half) and the third customer is this customer who you are reading about and the car hasnt been to the dealer to diagnose the issue. We have also heard of long tube headers causing this issue as well, which i find it very hard to believe, but again there are no facts, just speculation. The funny thing is that everyone is blaming the tune, but this is an ongoing issue (according to our local ford dealer) on the FORD tech forums and there is a lot of finger pointing going on. You all are just hearing about cars with tunes having these #8 issues on forums, but if you look at the facts 90% of the 5.0 customers on forums have their cars modified and are running tunes. These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars, but who's to say that has anything to do with it, because we dont know the facts and probably never will. We have been running our most aggressive Race tune (more aggressive than we send out to customers) on our 2011 test car for the last 16k miles (on 93 pump gas) and have raced it at nearly all NMRA events and definitely a LOT of spirited driving and abuse (naturally aspirated and with over 600rwhp to the wheels with a Vortech). We also have 2 other 2011-2012 in house test cars with ZERO issues as well. Ford's OEM calibration has parameters in place to protect the engine and we DO NOT remove these calibrations or alter the parameters. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached directly at 574.594.9559 ext 3.

Thanks,
Chandler

Reaction score
This is actually the 3rd customer who has contacted us about this issue. 3rd customer in the last year and of those 3 we have probably sent out atleast 500-600 2011 5.0 tunes. The first customer of ours who blew a number 8 the Ford engineer covered it under warranty due to an oil squirter failing, the second (who i believe is a member on here) broke a rod bearing (split in half) and the third customer is this customer who you are reading about and the car hasnt been to the dealer to diagnose the issue. We have also heard of long tube headers causing this issue as well, which i find it very hard to believe, but again there are no facts, just speculation. The funny thing is that everyone is blaming the tune, but this is an ongoing issue (according to our local ford dealer) on the FORD tech forums and there is a lot of finger pointing going on. You all are just hearing about cars with tunes having these #8 issues on forums, but if you look at the facts 90% of the 5.0 customers on forums have their cars modified and are running tunes. These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars, but who's to say that has anything to do with it, because we dont know the facts and probably never will. We have been running our most aggressive Race tune (more aggressive than we send out to customers) on our 2011 test car for the last 16k miles (on 93 pump gas) and have raced it at nearly all NMRA events and definitely a LOT of spirited driving and abuse (naturally aspirated and with over 600rwhp to the wheels with a Vortech). We also have 2 other 2011-2012 in house test cars with ZERO issues as well. Ford's OEM calibration has parameters in place to protect the engine and we DO NOT remove these calibrations or alter the parameters. If anyone has any concerns or questions feel free to call me anytime. I can be reached directly at 574.594.9559 ext 3.

Thanks,
Chandler

See that's whats annoying the shit out of me. We have some people, and i don't want to point the finger but i do in fact think it was red candy who stated he spoke with Deysha about this and said that there are reports of cars being broke, but they *ALL* had/have aftermarket tunes. I'm in no way trying to call you out on this, and i'm glad you did get in here to clear it up. I've been running a tuned car for 13000 miles on the same tune with just 1 datalog and 1 dyno session after the initial tuning from my tuner and have had zero issues also. It would just be nice for someone who had this issue say, I was doing so and so been doing so and so etc. As it stands right now especially with this issue and the previous one on the boards we beat to death there is a lot of questionable items floating around.

EDIT: Adding credibility to my post: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10902386-post127.html

Last edited:

bullitt boy

Reaction score
^Agree again . Perhaps after they are repaired or denied by ford the truth will out. I do have the feeling that some spirited driving was the order of the day.Not that you should limit yourself to driving like granny but conditions and temps have a bit to do withwhen and where.

Reaction score
^Agree again . Perhaps after they are repaired or denied by ford the truth will out. I do have the feeling that some spirited driving was the order of the day.Not that you should limit yourself to driving like granny but conditions and temps have a bit to do withwhen and where.

Well, now that it is settled and i wasn't trying to troll i'm going to lunch. :chairfall:

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the 5.0s- pure speculation/wondering, but after seeing all these posts I have to wonder:
- Are the fuel rails designed in a manner that the #8 cylinder injector could be "starved" and subsequently running that cylinder lean?
- Anything in the manifold design that could result in differing AFR on #8 compared to the other cylinders?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Makes me lean towards a casting problem... again just a feeling, signs point to me being wrong but I can't shake it.

We've been over this... If it were a casting problem, it would be happening to any random cylinder on any random car. Instead, it's happening to tuned cars on #8 only.

I've seen a few suggest to replace it with the FRPP but doesn't it come with the same cast rings as a stock block?

The stock rings aren't cast. They're plasma-moly. And it's not the rings that are failing, it's the ring lands of the piston itself. There's a possibility the ring end-gaps are too tight. I've seen evidence of this on the 2nd ring on a broken motor I've torn down, but that motor completely leaned out with a Procharger and melted 3 pistons and bent 5 rods. So after running that hot, I'd almost expect the rings to butt in that case.

These issues are happening on FRPP tunes as well as 100% stock cars, so its very hard to place the blame on the tune. All of the cars that we have heard about having this issue have been EARLY production cars,

This is complete BS. There was 1 FRPP tuned car that failed. There have been zero stock cars fail, and it's not limited to early production cars as the linked car in this thread is a '12. The fact is, it's tuned cars. That's it.

I don't know anything about the 5.0s- pure speculation/wondering, but after seeing all these posts I have to wonder:
- Are the fuel rails designed in a manner that the #8 cylinder injector could be "starved" and subsequently running that cylinder lean?
- Anything in the manifold design that could result in differing AFR on #8 compared to the other cylinders?
The fuel rails flow plenty as they're supporting 700 hp supercharged cars with ease.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back