paxton coupler failure

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
so I haven't seen this before today, has anyone had this happen? during a wot pull I heard a loud pop so I shut off the car and got stopped asap, popped the hood and found two clamps were gone and this coupler had blown in two. I was only making 13psi or so when it happened.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 28

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
As far as to answering your question; I have also heard that loud ass POP noise when losing a rubber coupler. It didn't quite explode like yours but just couldn't handle what I had thrown at it forcing it to pop off. It's a scary sound.

How long has it been on the car?

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
As far as to answering your question; I have also heard that loud ass POP noise when losing a rubber coupler. It didn't quite explode like yours but just couldn't handle what I had thrown at it forcing it to pop off. It's a scary sound.

How long has it been on the car?
The kit was bought from another member on here about 4/4.5 years ago and had 8k miles on it, I've put maybe 2k miles on it since.

Holy crap. I guess I'll be replacing those soon.

Don't go out spending money you don't have to just yet, I'm going to call Paxton and see if this is normal.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Probably had a small tear or nick that eventually failed. I cant imagine Paxton would tell you that's normal lol.

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Probably had a small tear or nick that eventually failed. I cant imagine Paxton would tell you that's normal lol.

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me if it had a small abrasion or something.

Ha, doubt they would say it was normal as well, in fact I'd be utterly shocked if they said it was just something that happens.

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
If only some vendor could figure out a kit that replaces all the Paxton couplers with higher quality ones and tbolts for our year... I'm lazy and just want to click buy rather than figure out all the different sizes needed. I bought my Paxton kit used and would not trust the couplers in their current state after being shipped poorly... *hint take my money Jeremy*

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
Yeah that would be cool of a vendor to do.

I just ordered a 45* 3" coupler off fleabay with two t bolt clamps for $12, we will see how long that lasts.

*im not expecting it to last long but will be pleasantly surprised if it does*

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
ive used plenty of silicone stuff and t-bolt clamps from siliconeintakes.com - know plenty of folks using that stuff on their jeeps, and a few mustangs as well.

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
ive used plenty of silicone stuff and t-bolt clamps from siliconeintakes.com - know plenty of folks using that stuff on their jeeps, and a few mustangs as well.

This one is from EMotor USA and they claim its good to 40psi.

The seller is boostmasters and they have a 98.7% positive feedback.

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There's different thickness of couplers used in this setup. Some are thin as crap, some are nice and thick and stout. Yes, the clamps are getting upgraded to t-bolt clamps from worm clamps, to keep the couplers on and in place. The weak points in the system are being identified!
If this was one of the thicker couplers, I would agree there must have been damage or a flaw in the coupler. If it was one of the thinner ones, it wouldn't surprise me.
:beer:

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
This was actually one of the thicker ones. I'm going to put it on and make sure that it's good to go then probably order a replacement for all of the couplers.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Darrel, get the full list of all you need, including clamps. Sometimes you can get a good "set" (3-ply or better) from ebay, or individual ones from siliconintakes.com. Also can get that section of pipe there, too.

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
I'm going to gather up the list from the install pdf I've got to make it easy on myself.

Last edited:

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I just checked that coupler on mine and it looks fine. I have not had to make the leap to T-bolt clamps yet. They do make better quality band clamps and those are what I use. I've never had a pipe pop off. I am also still using the 6 rib belt with a 2.62 pulley. Don't believe everything you hear. :)

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have replaced all of my couplers with 5 ply as I had some of the thinner varieties blow apart at 20 or so psi. A little tip for you when assembling, is to spray the inside of the coupler with hairspray and clamp it down. The hairspray makes it stick to the tubing and greatly reduces the chance of it blowing off.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back