PI 3200 stall?

Tragik

Reaction score
Where is everyone getting their PI stalls from? Straight PI or somewhere else? What do they cost for the lockup converters from them? Is PI pretty much the standard that most people are going with? I heard that some people didn't like the TCI stall. So are there any other options besides PI that you guys with go with?

How hard is the install on these? I was just under the car yesterday putting on longtubes and there is plenty of room under there so I would the transmission would come out pretty easy. I just worry about getting it filled back up correctly.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Haven't seen you here before, so Welcome to S197 Forum.

I got my PI 3200 stall from ST Motorsports. I've been thru a few TC's and so far this one is holding up. When it shifts going to or out of overdrive, it shifts hard. Over all I like it.
I use to have a TCI 3200 or 3500 stall also, but it lasted two months. But it was great when it worked. Don't bother with Art Carr TC's, I went through two of them, POS.
I didn't install mine, so I couldn't help you with those questions. Plus I don't have PDF files to help you, maybe someone else does.

Here's Adam card if you want to oder a PI from him.

Ed

STCard004CustomSmall.jpg

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
PI is the way to go. Can't argue with a 1.489 60' time---they really work. I have the multi-disc because I run a whipple at 16psi. You don't need the multi-disc if your N/A.

The trans is pretty easy to take out and put back in. If you have put in a torque converter before on another car, this one won't be a problem. Just make sure you rotate the t/c so it drops on the input shaft all the way.

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
re TC

I am a vendor for PI,so let me know. I can get you a descent price on one.

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I've got a PI 3000 multi-disk in mine, I ordered it from PI. Not sure if that was the cheapest way to get one or not.

sook

Reaction score
OP, you already read my reply over at TMS, but I had to throw in my two cents over here. Adam and his crew at ST just put in my single disk PI converter and it is absolutely sick. I love it. They did a great job at a fair price. I am N/A and I am doing just fine with a single disk. But hey, if youve got the cash, a multidisk never hurt anybody. Good luck. Track results to follow... :onfire:

Tragik

Reaction score
OP, you already read my reply over at TMS, but I had to throw in my two cents over here. Adam and his crew at ST just put in my single disk PI converter and it is absolutely sick. I love it. They did a great job at a fair price. I am N/A and I am doing just fine with a single disk. But hey, if youve got the cash, a multidisk never hurt anybody. Good luck. Track results to follow... :onfire:

School me a little bit here. Whats is the main difference between single and multi disc. One is just able to take more abuse? I'm going stay NA, so I would hope the single disc would be sufficient for my needs. This is my DD driver as well so does one offer any drivability limitations over the other? I would like to stay with single disk mainly for cost, but if the multi disk is really a necessity I could possibly swing. Just not right away like I wanted...

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
The difference is the amount of plates, with each plate you add clutch surface. The more clutch surface you have, the better the clutch is at holding during lockup which is what you want.

The problem with the PI Single Disc's is the clutch and clutch lining. If you get the car tuned properly to use the TC( Lockup Schedule ), it is a matter of WHEN not if as to when it will fail. I have seen personally, a PI Single Disc trashed by a N/A 4.6 2V making less than 260 RWHP. That TC had under 10000 miles and about 30 track passes on it. If PI has not changed how they make the single disc, which I haven't heard that they have, is that something you really want?

sook

Reaction score
IMO, if you JUST daily drive your mustang, then the single disk will probably do you just fine. But you have to keep in mind, with the single disk, you get more slippage, lower converter efficiency and higher heat buildup. If you take it easy, the slip is lessened. If you race your car or drive pretty agressivly, the multidisk might be a better choice.

I personally went for the single disk mainly because of my budget, but I don't daily drive my mustang or take it to the track much now that LACR closed.

edit: I type too slowly. The above story is valid and I've also seen my fair share of TCs fail. Granted, not a PI one, but that isn't to say it doesn't happen. go with your gut.

Last edited:

Error404

photographer
Reaction score
I went for the multidisk over the single disk, after hearing several stories about the single disks failing. I don't go to any tracks (accept for high speed runs at El Mirage, which means alot of lockup I guess?) and I don't street race, but I have a blower I figured it's worth the piece of mind knowing that there is a much smaller chance of the TC going south. Especially since the reason I got a new TC in the first place is because the factory one was starting to slip after the blower was installed. At first it was only noticable on the dyno, but then after a few weeks I would notice some mornings I could feel it slipping pretty good. Since I'm going to replace it, I might as well get the best I can afford.

Last edited:

Tragik

Reaction score
What is the price difference of the multi disc over the single? If I'm gonna do this I might as well do it right and get the multi....

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am looking for the Same Information, N/A Stall Price for Single and Multi Disk.
I have a limited budget and don't want cheap poop.

sook

Reaction score
The single disk will run you about $700 and the multi clutch will be around $900. This is all plus shipping. Adam at ST sells them, as does Dyno Joe. I got mine from Adam. He is a great guy to work with. You should give him a call.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back