Poor body shop experience

Embalmer

Amateur Expert
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I took my car in to a local body shop to have the underside of my hood blasted and painted due to the corrosion most of us get. I decided to have them paint the top of the hood as well because it had numerous rock chips and paint swirls. They had it for 2 days, and charged me $350 to R/R the top of the hood. I got it home and put it under the lights and this is what I saw:

100_3102.jpg

100_3105.jpg

So the very next day I called them up and told them it was unacceptable to have these kinds of swirl marks on fresh paint. They tried to tell me how it always looks worse under direct light, etc... but I wasn't buying it. I took it back and told them to make it right. So, 2 days later I bring it home again and here are those pics:

100_3136.jpg

100_3138.jpg

Some quality work, huh? I came to the conclusion that they simply were not capable of producing the kind of results I wanted. You know, smooth glossy clear paint with no scratches! So I broke out my DA and some Meguiars Swirl X, and after 4 attempts of buffing and removing, here are the results!

100_3159.jpg

100_3160.jpg

100_3162.jpg

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
I took my car in to a local body shop to have the underside of my hood blasted and painted due to the corrosion most of us get. I decided to have them paint the top of the hood as well because it had numerous rock chips and paint swirls. They had it for 2 days, and charged me $350 to R/R the top of the hood. I got it home and put it under the lights and this is what I saw:

So the very next day I called them up and told them it was unacceptable to have these kinds of swirl marks on fresh paint. They tried to tell me how it always looks worse under direct light, etc... but I wasn't buying it. I took it back and told them to make it right. So, 2 days later I bring it home again and here are those pics:

Where did you go Maaco ? $350 is very very cheap. Most body shops do not have the correct polishing compound and materials and the ones that do almost never take care of the pads like they should to produce show quality results. What you got was regular production work (and price) what you wanted was true show quality. You did a nice job on a fix & I'm sure there's room to get it even better. Try Black 3M waffle pad with 3m PERFECT-IT 3000 for swirl mark removal.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back