Popped a coyote. who has good deals on shortblocks?

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Better figure out what caused it man. Don't think it's just because it was stock. I've raced them on 750rwhp+. If the rod bent it could have slung the rod because the underside of the piston would hit the counterweight of the crank. Detonation will sling a rod. Usually wipes a bearing from bearing being hammered. When that happens the bearing galls, overheats the crank and rod, then rod exits stage left. PLEASE find out what caused it before a new engine goes in.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
You dont think it could be just due to the power level? Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Impossible? No, not saying that. But it would be a real mother fucker to lose a brand new engine on the first pull due to a clogged injector.
Cheaper to confirm it was from the power level than to assume it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
720whp is about 800hp and some change crank right?
I think that had a major role, but definitely rule out anything else like was said above.

I know it aint my engine but I hate when people COULD have prevented an issue by not getting greedy on the stock parts.
Always hate to see an engine in pieces on here!

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
We are definitely going to check all possibilities. We will have the heads off later tonight.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
Could been the power for sure. Could also been something else. Some of these cars have blown at 550whp, while others are living at 700whp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

bullitt boy

Reaction score
wouldn't 720 factor out to about 860 crank? Lots of torque being slammed down on a power pull for sure.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
So here is what we found when pulling the front cover and the drivers side head this evening.

Looks like the piston found its way to the oil pan.

20130430_213234_zps52411fef.jpg

No piston

20130430_223658_zps8ca17574.jpg

Whats left of the connecting rod.

20130430_223624_zpsc27b9901.jpg

The drivers side head has minor valve damage. Forgot to snap a picture.

Last edited:

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
So here is what we found when pulling the front cover and the drivers side head this evening.

Looks like the piston found its way to the oil pan.

20130430_213234_zps52411fef.jpg

No piston

20130430_223658_zps8ca17574.jpg

Whats left of the connecting rod.

20130430_223624_zpsc27b9901.jpg

The drivers side head has minor valve damage. Forgot to snap a picture.

If only one rod broke in one cylinder and only one head has damage you are blessed its cheap to have a machine shop check them and repairing one head is better than two keep fingers crossed :thumbup:
When mine broke i was 4th gear wot 6800 rpm driving on i 20 so under full load not on dyno mine broke 1 rod on driver side it through rotating assy out of balance and then broke another rod on passenger side damaged both heads.

JPO8GT

forum member
Reaction score
Found a picture of the head.

head_zps60d4313b.jpg

most likely valves bent on that cylinder that failed also look at top of all other pistons and see if there are any marks on them that look like valves hit or made contact with pistons if the motor jumped timing or if cam phaser failed it could cause timing to get off causing piston to valve contact most likely that didn't happen but it doesn't hurt to look for marks on piston the marks typically will be quarter or half moon where the valve struck if you find no marks that's a great sign if you see marks then there's a possibility those valves are bent.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
most likely valves bent on that cylinder that failed also look at top of all other pistons and see if there are any marks on them that look like valves hit or made contact with pistons if the motor jumped timing or if cam phaser failed it could cause timing to get off causing piston to valve contact most likely that didn't happen but it doesn't hurt to look for marks on piston the marks typically will be quarter or half moon where the valve struck if you find no marks that's a great sign if you see marks then there's a possibility those valves are bent.

Just got the drivers side off. The other 3 cylinders looked good. No marks of any kind. Will be waiting a few days to pull the other side.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
I'll get some pictures up after we get the engine out and pull the pan off.

FYI, The last datalog (not taken when engine let go) was spot on per the tuner. No further tuning need.

I think the motor was just at its limit or just above its limit apparently.

Doug1227

forum member
Reaction score
Man, talk about a box full of crumbs... painful to even see that! Good luck! I hope you come back stronger, man!

slagburn

forum member
Reaction score
Better figure out what caused it man. Don't think it's just because it was stock. I've raced them on 750rwhp+. If the rod bent it could have slung the rod because the underside of the piston would hit the counterweight of the crank. Detonation will sling a rod. Usually wipes a bearing from bearing being hammered. When that happens the bearing galls, overheats the crank and rod, then rod exits stage left. PLEASE find out what caused it before a new engine goes in.

I know what you're saying.. These stock rods aren't all that great though, I bent one last year and caught it before it went boom. Bearings were pristine except for a little side wear from the new angle when it bent. Piston looked perfect. Never had any sort of hydro situation.
It was actually pretty impressive how all the bearings looked, 30K at 9 psi and they would have almost passed for new.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
We pulled the passenger side head and found this at the front cylinder. The rod was found inside the bottom end and pulled out with a magnet.

20130513_195450_zps8e4473b7.jpg

20130513_195245_zps3fa046a0.jpg

20130513_195158_zps44a5f7d2.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back