Pro Racer package tune software...

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
During my weekly chat with my tuner, he told me this week again, that he thought with my basic understanding of tuning that I may benefit from a software package called PRO RACER. HE stated that he could sell the package to me as a single user for a fraction of the price of an open setup that they use for their business. He offered me my current tune completely opened to all tuning, the software package, and phone assistance and tech support as I developed my skills with it.

Anyone gone the route of doing their own tuning with this package yet? What is your feedback? The one thing I do see is the ability to make updates directly at the track without having to wait for an updated email reply after sending a datalog.

I personally like the idea but wonder if I may be getting in over my head a little bit. However I always take the conservative approach to learning new concepts in hopes to only break things gently vice trashing with a false sense of confidence. And these guys are very good about over the phone support. I know I would go in full tilt if they were right down the street from me.

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bunch of guys have used it.

BruceH comes to mind as the biggest/most successful user of it on the site

TheBlackPearl

forum member
Reaction score
I use it. Best advice I can give is don't change anything until you know exactly what it is/does.

TBP

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
Might want to look at HP Tuners software too. I was thinking about going that route when I was looking into it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Might want to look at HP Tuners software too. I was thinking about going that route when I was looking into it.

I'll stick with what my tuner recommends if I go any route at all. I'm kicking it around for 2017. Just curious at this time if anyone using it really benefited from it and was able to pick it up relatively quick. No point in buying it if I do no more with it than I can currently do with the SCT tuner.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
redfirepearlgt:

I have used Advantage (the P/R program) to tune my cammed '98GT and it is (a) fun and (b) straightforward but it takes time to datalog and analyze the data. In short, you need to invest the time to collect and review the data and then make adjustments in the tune.

SCT has a ProRacer forum but I have not visited for a long time. It used to have lots of activity and good info and the info is still there (if you search), lol.

A big difference with the new cars is that the throttle is electronic and you want to make sure that you will have access to it/them to sharpen up the feel. A few years ago, SCT required that you take a course or two before they granted access to the throttle table(s). I don't know what their policy is these days but your tuner may be able to provide some insight.

I liked using ProRacer and tuning my old GT. I'd use it again if I were tuning my '12.

HTH,

Chris

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
awesome. Thanks. According to my tuner the tune would be 100% open. I have been data logging my car all of august to work with my tuner in getting the default shift points right, and get the the car to full potential without pushing the limits of the tune. Right now WOT is @ 18 degrees. I've learned a lot but I know I am still just scratching the surface especially with the drive by wire and cam phasing. I'm still up in the air on this, but as I learn more behind the witchcraft of tuning I may dip my toe in the pool come next spring. The price is reasonable. It's not like having to buy Photoshop CS5 or CAD 2016 or whatever revision they are on with that software package.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Buy the book "Advanced Engine Management" by Greg Banish from Amazon. It will be less than $20 and give you a lot of insight into what is being controlled and why. It also has some excellent info on internal combustion engine theory.

By the time you are done with the book you will know if you want to tune your car. If you decide to tune your car the book will help with concepts and parameters.

It's a learning curve but it is learnable. SCT still doesn't grant Drive By Wire "Calibrator status" without a course unless you can convince them you know what you are doing and aren't going to do something stupid like command 1000 lbs of torque at a low pedal position.

Calibrator status is needed to tune for custom throttle bodies, cams with a different icl than stock (if you want the fuel to spray at the right time anyway), things like that. It isn't absolutely needed for most tuning. More than likely your tuner already has calibrator status and will be able to help write files for the restricted parameters if needed.

SCT provides you with a stock tune and value files for most mods. This gives you the ability to assemble a base tune and go from there. The base tunes need adjustments, it's not plug and play. That's where you really start to learn things about adjusting driveability. WOT tuning is fairly simple and straight forward. Adjusting for stock like driveability is where it can get tricky depending on the mods.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. I will buy that book. My tuner has suggested going this route to me several times now, stating that my ability to relate to him when we are massaging the tune for my car indicates a level at which he feels I could handle tuning and would enjoy it.

Really appreciate your input. looks like Barnes and Noble also carried the book for under $20.

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I also have the RP but now I only use it to tweak my MAP tune. It's fun to learn, I was forced to learn the basics just to get a base tune when I put the twins on, this was before I found MAP and there are value files for lots of normal options. I think you would really enjoy playing with your tune.

Nutter281

forum member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity does the Pro Racer Package allow you to turn on/off O2 sensors or play with emissions systems at all?

Austin

lskiller

forum member
Reaction score
I've used the PRP for over 10 years. If you have a non- stock throttle body, it's almost impossible to do a complete tune without the Drive By Wire (DBW) access that was mentioned above. There are value files available for many t/b's but to do it completely, you need the DBW (calibrator) access.

For me, it's well worth the investment (money and more importantly, time) to learn to tune yourself.

If your tuner is willing to give you the raw tune file to use as a starting point, that's 70% of the battle right there.

Good luck!

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I've used the PRP for over 10 years. If you have a non- stock throttle body, it's almost impossible to do a complete tune without the Drive By Wire (DBW) access that was mentioned above. There are value files available for many t/b's but to do it completely, you need the DBW (calibrator) access.

For me, it's well worth the investment (money and more importantly, time) to learn to tune yourself.

If your tuner is willing to give you the raw tune file to use as a starting point, that's 70% of the battle right there.

Good luck!

Yes. The software and my current tune unlocked is what he said I would receive.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This package was designed so that you could tune you car in conjunction with the person you bought the package from. There are sections that are not available to this package and that is where your tuner would help you. This package isn't designed for you to be able to tune anyone else's setup, you need the full package for that.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
This package was designed so that you could tune you car in conjunction with the person you bought the package from. There are sections that are not available to this package and that is where your tuner would help you. This package isn't designed for you to be able to tune anyone else's setup, you need the full package for that.

That's pretty much how it was explained to me by my tuner. And yes I am aware it is a single party dedicated package limiting the use to the purchaser only.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back