Put regular oil instead of synthetic

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so I was moving and needed a brake job before I went and told the guy to change my oil as well. 2 weeks later after moving and I notice that the reminder sticker says to change after 3k miles, not the usual 6k that they have marked in the past.

I have always done synthetic there, but this time might have forgotten to remind the guy (had a lot going on in my head), and they are closed today. If they did use regular oil after 2 1/2 years of synthetic, will it be ok for another thousand or 2 miles or should I get another oil change ASAP?

I feel like such a n00b asking this.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
conventional oil change it at a 3k miles no exceptions.

Remember it is usually 3 months or 3k miles whichever comes first. If you do a lot of short comutes you gotta change it earlier.

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
i dont think he was asking about the time frame but about going back to regular oil after running syntethic for so long.i really cant tell you on that but i allways heard not to go back to regular after synthetic.now myth or truth dont know.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I think he means is he gonna dick up his engine running "dino" oil instead of synthetic since he has been running the synthentic for some time now.

Here is something I found on Popular Mechanics.

Q: After a recent trip to two major auto parts dealers for oil (5W 30), I realized synthetic oil is slowly replacing nonsynthetic on the display shelves. The problem is, I'm getting conflicting information about synthetic oil. One store attendant told me I shouldn't go back to regular oil after changing to synthetic. Then he said it would be okay to add a quart of regular oil to synthetic, if I needed to top up. Another clerk said I should never mix the two. At a different store, the employee said it didn't matter if I used synthetic and then later replaced it with regular oil.

A: Early synthetics got a bad reputation for leaking. This was because, despite the claims of the oil manufacturers, the seal-swell characteristics of the new synthetics were different from those of the mineral oils they replaced. If the seal-swell rate was lower, the seals shrank and oil leaked from crankshaft seals and rocker cover seals. If the rate was higher, the seals swelled a little extra and the engine was tight. Then if the owner changed back to mineral oil, or added a quart when no synthetic was to be had, things got really bad. The crank seals had become worn, in their turgid state, and then relaxed. The valve cover seals were compressed when swelled, and when the different oil was added, everything leaked like, well, an old English sports car.

Fortunately, the situation has improved; you should have no problem switching back and forth. Adding a quart of mineral oil to a crankcase full of synthetic will be fine. Read the fine print -- a lot of the "synthetics" on the market are blends containing a substantial proportion of mineral oil.

Hope this helps some.

James

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From Pennzoil's website,

Synthetic oils have been available for almost 30 years and a number of inaccurate myths have developed during this time. Some areas of misunderstanding are clarified below, including manufacturer requirements for using synthetics, how to switch from conventional to synthetic oil and the effects of synthetics on an engine.

Myth 1: Synthetic oils are too thin to stay in the engine. This is not true. In order for a lubricant to be classified in any SAE grade (10W-30, 10W-40, etc.) it has to meet the viscosity guidelines, or thickness, specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

Myth 2: Synthetic oils will void manufacturers’ warranties. Synthetic oils such as Pennzoil Platinum® will not void manufacturer warranties. They are formulated with the requirements of the auto manufacturers in mind, and so if used in accordance with the owner’s manual, synthetic oils will not void any of the warranties. The only exception is that full synthetic oils should not be used in Mazda Rotary engines, which have unique and specific lubrication requirements. Always check the vehicle owner’s manual.
Myth 3: You can’t switch between conventional oil and synthetic oil. Switching between synthetic and conventional oil will not cause any harm to engines. Synthetic oils and conventional oils are formulated to help protect your emission system, including oxygen sensors and catalytic converters.

Myth 4: Synthetic oil will make seals leak. If an older engine’s seals do not leak with conventional oil, they will not leak after switching to synthetic oil. Synthetic oils do not damage engine seals in an engine of any age.

Myth 5: Synthetic oil cannot be used to “break in” a rebuilt engine. In a rebuilt engine, a certain amount of controlled wear can be expected to occur to allow piston rings to “seat” and the engine to “break in.” Synthetic oil may be used for the “break-in” period and throughout the life of the engine.

Synthetic base oils combined with a strong additive package allow synthetic oils to perform better than conventional motor oils under virtually all conditions. In addition to this unique additive package, Pennzoil Platinum® now has adaptive molecules which protect against heat, shear and pressure inside an engine.

http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/motor-oil-myths/

Every oil manufacturer has this on their website, im just showing 2. Its not going to hurt anything.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
Fact 1: When I bought my new 97 F-150 switched to Amsoil and the rear main started leaking. Fact 2: Switched back to regular oil and it stopped. Fact 3: Regular oil has been around since the dawn of time and many of those engines are still running.

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
Fact 1: When I bought my new 97 F-150 switched to Amsoil and the rear main started leaking. Fact 2: Switched back to regular oil and it stopped. Fact 3: Regular oil has been around since the dawn of time and many of those engines are still running.

Fact: That was 14 years ago.

Synthetics have come a long ways since then. If a manufacturer of synthetics says it shouldn't be an issue, it shouldn't be an issue. Valvoline makes both and says that synthetics are now derived from crude oils. Read about it here.

FlyByNight

Banned
Reaction score
Fact: That was 14 years ago.

Synthetics have come a long ways since then. If a manufacturer of synthetics says it shouldn't be an issue, it shouldn't be an issue. Valvoline makes both and says that synthetics are now derived from crude oils. Read about it here.
I'll take your word for it, and I'll keep running the cheap shit because I'm a cheap fucker and have better ways to piss away cash.

Chrome61

forum member
Reaction score
Dino oil has worked for me, I have never had any type of failure due to the type of oil I have used, commom sense here, I keep it changed and CLEAN, This could be a episode of myth busters.

I have two F150's and the manual says to change the oil every 7500 miles, I do it around 6000 miles, changing it every 3000 is a waste of money. BTW, One has 285,000 and the other 110,000 miles.

Last edited:

chrismc

forum member
Reaction score
I run royal purple. change it every 5k miles. dont burn or leak a drop at 65k miles. its even still purple when i take it out.

esworld05

GHR
Reaction score
I use mobil 1 synthetic,for the only reason that I don't have time, and am to lazy, to change it ever 3k miles, lol.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Roy - you'll be fine, especially the way you drive. :poke:

Skarkull

forum member
Reaction score
I have always done synthetic there, but this time might have forgotten to remind the guy (had a lot going on in my head), and they are closed today. If they did use regular oil after 2 1/2 years of synthetic, will it be ok for another thousand or 2 miles or should I get another oil change ASAP

He didn't ask if he should use "dino" or synthetic, he asked if his car would be messed up if "dino" oil was accidentally used since he has been using synthetic.

The conclusion from reading on the internet is you'll be fine, just make sure you change it when your supposed to.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Pretty easy to translate: Do not go OVER 3000 miles with dino oil, no exceptions. If you do a lot of stop and go/short trips, then you need to change it SOONER.
+1 and no issues between the two just how long before the changes . I do 3k on Dino and 5k on synthetic (though some say 7500).

Royski

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry if it was confusing, but yes I was asking if I would do damage if I went back to "dino" oil after years of synthetic.

Speed+Clinic

forum member
Reaction score
So which one is it?

Pretty easy to translate: Do not go OVER 3000 miles with dino oil, no exceptions. If you do a lot of stop and go/short trips, then you need to change it SOONER.

+1 and no issues between the two just how long before the changes . I do 3k on Dino and 5k on synthetic (though some say 7500).

Thank you very much. This is because on a lot of short trips the engine doesn't completely go up to temperature and the engines run a bit richer which contaminates the oil with the fuel. Not to mention that all the metals haven't completely expanded which makes the piston not seal completely thus there maybe leaks which the oil gets polluted with fuel. Why do you think you test compression with the engine on operating temperature??

Also remember if you are turbo you have to add that to the consideration since the turbo adds an additional stress on the oil system since most turbos are not only lubricated by the oil on the engine but they also cool down the turbo which tends to get very very hot and cooks the oil.

Read the oil bible it is very good reading stuff, but you see the diference between synthetics and regular oil. Have you ever opened an engine that runs on regular oil vs a synthetic? It is cleaner.

3vs197

forum member
Reaction score
you will be just fine to switch if regular oil was used. 3month/3k was a standard set many decades ago and oil quality has improved alot since then. for 11' ford uses a 10k mileage interval for motorcraft synthetic blend oil (sometimes a little earlier depending on conditions).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back