Rear brake issue. See pic....

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357516236.498476.jpg

Before I get a smart ass answer, yes I see the pad not sitting all the way down... That part is obvious. But why?

This is a new caliper with the Baer larger rotors and Hawk pads...There are no signs of brake fade, nonvibrations at high or low speeds,nothing ...... Brakes completely normal.

Upon inspection the pads are sitting correctly in the brackets.. Shims installed.... Nothing seemed wrong when the install was done... The funny part is the inside pad is wearing normal.

Has anyone else ever had this happen.

I will tear it down later this week but just noticed it today at the show...

Wanted to see if some one had this happen to them before..

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
Any chance you could get a picture of the outside pad with it assembled to show us how it's sitting?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm going to guess that the bracket isn't bolted in place correctly, you missed the threaded hole with one of the bolts but the other bolt is holding it tight.

wckdgt

forum member
Reaction score
i had this happen on my 97, the slides are stuck. I replaced both slides then it worked great

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
i had this happen on my 97, the slides are stuck. I replaced both slides then it worked great

New caliper and new slides...... But you would think hat the front and rear pad would wear the same. This is only wearing on the side as pictured

Young pony..... I will get pics when apart.

07 Grabber GT

Reaction score
Really need a closer pic of the caliper with the pads installed, someone with their foot on the brakes ... for the way it looks in this pic (or is it just me) ... the pad appears to be upside down?

kojack

Reaction score
Had that when I changed pads. I didn't have the pin on back of inner pad lined up in the "V" groove,had turned the the piston in too far. Backed it off alittle to align pin in V groove, all OK! This made the outer pad only touch or lineup with half the disc, same as your pic. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Redfire281

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that the bracket isn't bolted in place correctly, you missed the threaded hole with one of the bolts but the other bolt is holding it tight.

I agree. Looks like one of the caliper guide pin bolts (13mm) either worked itself loose or is stripped causing insufficient torque. Loctite or buy new guide pins/bolts - Autozone under $10. If you replace the pins also get new boots and one of those little green packets of lube.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Really need a closer pic of the caliper with the pads installed, someone with their foot on the brakes ... for the way it looks in this pic (or is it just me) ... the pad appears to be upside down?
This is what I was thinking.

Memphis 05

forum member
Reaction score
Pad can't go upside down.... There is a spring of some sort that pushes the pad down off the caliper......

Got home too late to take a looks. 5 am comes to early and it is dark outside.... I will try to take a look tomorrow during the evening

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Pad can't go upside down.... There is a spring of some sort that pushes the pad down off the caliper......

Got home too late to take a looks. 5 am comes to early and it is dark outside.... I will try to take a look tomorrow during the evening
Sounds like we have the same schedule!

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
i had the same issue,,,look at this video go all the way to 3:24. i missed that part in my car and had the pad eating the rotor from the outside just like your car....good luck

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
I got this problem on my 2007 GT driver rear let me know what you find out going crazzy

Scrape

forum member
Reaction score
Check the springs in the pads. They maybe stuck in the hole in the caliper which may potentially cause this problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back