Rear Suspension Upgrades

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Today I will be installing my gears and suspension upgrade.

I am outing in Lower Relocation brackets from BMR. What is the most recommend setting for the lowers? (I believe the middle hole is what Ive heard the most.)

Also, I will be installing Strange single adjustable shocks. What setting is best on the shocks?

Thanks for any input. Pictures of everything and timeslips from the upgrades will be posted asap.

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
mid hole if lowered, top if not. actually i wouldnt use the relo brackets if not lowered.

for single adjustable, you want them as stiff as you can get without spinning. I have QA1 singles, and have them at 5 clicks (out of 18) from full hard.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Made it out to the track the other day. Got the car down a little faster ran a couple 12.7x with consistent 1.7x 60's. Still need to do some dialing after the 4.10s and suspension work.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
nice work! I've got a similar setup:

- adj uca in upper hole on uca bracket
- lca in middle hole on bmr relocation brackets
- cj springs (older ones)
- strange single adj struts/shocks (front struts full loose, rear shocks +7)
- m/t et street bias rear tires, 15psi
- 6500rpm launch
- 4.10's

12.095 with a 1.576 60' (great track prep and negative d/a), 302 rwhp and 3490 lbs

good luck, and keep the updates coming

Last edited:

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
nice work! I've got a similar setup:

- adj uca in upper hole on uca bracket
- lca in middle hole on bmr relocation brackets
- cj springs (older ones)
- strange single adj struts/shocks (front struts full loose, rear shocks +7)
- m/t et street bias rear tires, 15psi
- 6500rpm launch
- 4.10's

12.095 with a 1.576 60' (great track prep and negative d/a), 302 rwhp and 3490 lbs

good luck, and keep the updates coming

That's a incredible set up and time! Track prep was just above none when I went out on Wednesday, I need to work on the adjustment of my rears a little and and try a little more air in the tires. The car has potential. I will keep the updates rolling in as much as I can.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Well didn't make anymore progress tonight at TNT. Track prep sucked. Spun HARD both passes I got in. Like 1.99 60' hard spinning. I need to get a log book and start keeping track of things. Open to any suggestions as well.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
Well didn't make anymore progress tonight at TNT. Track prep sucked. Spun HARD both passes I got in. Like 1.99 60' hard spinning. I need to get a log book and start keeping track of things. Open to any suggestions as well.

Yea I had the same issues. Was getting 1.9 60's with QTP's. Determined it's due to not getting the tires hot enough in the burnout. I bought a C-F-M line lock kit but still need to install it. That will allow me to do a good 2nd gear burnout, plus dialing in my double adjustable rear shocks should do it for me.

From what I've read, for single adjustable shocks set them as hard as you can get away with. If you spin right from the hit, back off a little. The idea is to keep the rear suspension from rebounding and taking weight off the rear. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I had the same issues. Was getting 1.9 60's with QTP's. Determined it's due to not getting the tires hot enough in the burnout. I bought a C-F-M line lock kit but still need to install it. That will allow me to do a good 2nd gear burnout, plus dialing in my double adjustable rear shocks should do it for me.

From what I've read, for single adjustable shocks set them as hard as you can get away with. If you spin right from the hit, back off a little. The idea is to keep the rear suspension from rebounding and taking weight off the rear. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the 2 biggest factors in my case are driver error (fluctuating launch RPM) and track prep.

I think Im going to get a 2 step on order. I am looking into a N2MB Wot Box. That should (hopefully) clean up the driver error and get thing settled out. Hopefully I can get my POS figured out before the NMRA Norwalk event!

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Been a while since I have updated the thread. Work has been crazy, and I haven't had much track time other than a couple of Wednesday night events and NMRA McLeod Clutch Event @ Summit Motorsports Park.

The first Wednesday night the car was ON. Running 12.70-12.74 for 9 or 10 passes with 1.7x 60's. I was loving it to say the least.

The following Wednesday night, the track was JUNK and the DA was equally as bad. Couldn't get the car to hook up. 1.99 60's spinning leaving at 4500 RPM (Normally leave around 5750). I think the best pass the car clicked off was a 12.97 @ ~ 107.9. Wasn't happy at all, but was optimistic hoping the track would be better Friday-Sunday for NMRA.

NMRA rolls around, took Friday and Saturday off work, went out on Friday and hot lapped the car trying to see what it would do running back to back for the True Street passes on Saturday. Made 4 passes (all 12.90s). 5th pass, the car launched and headed left toward the wall hard all the way down track. Upon further review, I tore up a LCA bushing. Got the stock LCA's back on the car for Saturday. Sat the car ran consistent high 12's low 13s. About right for the DA and 130 cars making 3 back to back passes on a low prep track.

Sunday, went to run brackets first round and the car clicks off a 12.801 on the brakes.

Also, let me say that BMR was awesome with the response to the torn bushing. Thanks for such great customer support and great product.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have the MSD 2-step. It works ok, but if I could do it again I would get the Wot Box. Diggin the no lift shifts. I think there is a group buy going on around here right now...

...EDIT... found it...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122677

Two Cents: a lot of the racers are having electrical issues with the wotboxes. Almost without exception, the heads up racers use the MSD.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Been a while since I have updated the thread. Work has been crazy, and I haven't had much track time other than a couple of Wednesday night events and NMRA McLeod Clutch Event @ Summit Motorsports Park.

The first Wednesday night the car was ON. Running 12.70-12.74 for 9 or 10 passes with 1.7x 60's. I was loving it to say the least.

The following Wednesday night, the track was JUNK and the DA was equally as bad. Couldn't get the car to hook up. 1.99 60's spinning leaving at 4500 RPM (Normally leave around 5750). I think the best pass the car clicked off was a 12.97 @ ~ 107.9. Wasn't happy at all, but was optimistic hoping the track would be better Friday-Sunday for NMRA.

NMRA rolls around, took Friday and Saturday off work, went out on Friday and hot lapped the car trying to see what it would do running back to back for the True Street passes on Saturday. Made 4 passes (all 12.90s). 5th pass, the car launched and headed left toward the wall hard all the way down track. Upon further review, I tore up a LCA bushing. Got the stock LCA's back on the car for Saturday. Sat the car ran consistent high 12's low 13s. About right for the DA and 130 cars making 3 back to back passes on a low prep track.

Sunday, went to run brackets first round and the car clicks off a 12.801 on the brakes.

Also, let me say that BMR was awesome with the response to the torn bushing. Thanks for such great customer support and great product.

No problem! Whatever you need, you know where I'm at. :waytogo:

Two Cents: a lot of the racers are having electrical issues with the wotboxes. Almost without exception, the heads up racers use the MSD.

^ Vouch

We have had nothing but issues with our WOT boxes. They literally make the cars we have tried them on go crazy. Speedo issues, stuttering, weird electrical issues.....I am a big fan of the MSD stuff, and only recommend it.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score

The car still needs to come a long way but its getting there.

As for the MSD over WOT Box; The only real reason why I would prefer the WOT Box over the MSD is because of the way the 2 step is set up. I would prefer to be able to run it off the clutch position sensor (like the WOT Box) rather than off a button with the MSD 2 step.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ Really?

I prefer the clutch position switch set-up on the MSD.

I could not stand the WOT box set-up - it was too "picky" for me. Rev too slow, didn't work...too quick, didn't work. etc. lol

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
^ Really?

I prefer the clutch position switch set-up on the MSD.

I could not stand the WOT box set-up - it was too "picky" for me. Rev too slow, didn't work...too quick, didn't work. etc. lol

I guess I didnt realize that I could wire the MSD up to the clutch position. Ill have to look into it. Im too stupid to dump the clutch and let go of a button at the same time. So I need to do it off clutch position!

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I didnt realize that I could wire the MSD up to the clutch position. Ill have to look into it. Im too stupid to dump the clutch and let go of a button at the same time. So I need to do it off clutch position!

Mine is wired to the switch at the top of clutch travel that disengages the cruise control.

I originally tried wiring it to the clutch neutral switch like others have but couldn't get it to work. I did some digging and apparently the wiring changed at some time during the years. My wiring was different than a pic I had of someones setup that worked.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Haven't updated the thread in a while. But that doesn't mean I haven't been making passes.

The car has been running great, running consistent 12.72-12.78 range all day long.

This week, I went out to the track and decided to tighten up my rear shocks a bit more and the car loved it! Ran a new PB of 12.637 @ 107.90 on a 1774 60'.

Also, the car has loved the new bushing that BMR shipped me after destroying the Polly LCA bushings.

The car wouldn't be running how it is without some killer product from BMR and Strange and a killer tune from Jeff over at CRT!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Haven't updated the thread in a while. But that doesn't mean I haven't been making passes.

The car has been running great, running consistent 12.72-12.78 range all day long.

This week, I went out to the track and decided to tighten up my rear shocks a bit more and the car loved it! Ran a new PB of 12.637 @ 107.90 on a 1774 60'.

Also, the car has loved the new bushing that BMR shipped me after destroying the Polly LCA bushings.

The car wouldn't be running how it is without some killer product from BMR and Strange and a killer tune from Jeff over at CRT!

Great to hear!

I also have another bushing design that I finally buttoned up, that I may send you as well. It's going to outperform the current ones you have, and may even last longer than those Elastomers under the shock loads you are putting them through.

Keep up the great work!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back