Rear sway bar swap

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, need a little help. I'm trying to swap my oem rear sway bar for an adjustable one. The previous owner installed a rear sway bar relocation kit and i can not seem to make the new sway bar fit. Before i throw it on for sale, is there any way to adapt the new sway bar? Or am i forced to look for a diffrent one? Any help will be appreciated.

I tried fitting it on but had no luck.

I enclosed a few pics of what's on my car and the new bar i bought.

Thanks

497f9b0df949872f6064fd917bbaaa80.jpg

540b66809f057a4a915d0415915c67ef.jpg

31fc5ad3cb090de9e9acd9445af1a327.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
Do you need the relocation brackets? Are you running little rims? if not take those things outta there and I would think the new one should bolt right up. What part is not fitting?

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Do you need the relocation brackets? Are you running little rims? if not take those things outta there and I would think the new one should bolt right up. What part is not fitting?

No, i don not want to run a drag setup. I wanted to beef up my rear and i run into this issue. There are rear sway bar relocation brackets on my car already. I'm trying to install the adjustable pictured above, but veryway i try to fit it it seems to hit something.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can't quite tell from the pictures, but it looks like the previous owner cut off the original bracket...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I can't quite tell from the pictures, but it looks like the previous owner cut off the original bracket...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

You are correct sir. I forgot it's been so long. But you have to cut the bracket off to fit 15" rims, thus the relocation of the mount.

So with that said I think you're stuck with either a BMR sway bar or one that follows the OEM bends and lengths to a T. Where does it hit? I know there is a relief cut into the LCA bracket for the sway bar to clear. I think It used to make contact there when I had the axle hanging but it cleared when the suspension is loaded. I have an Extreme sway bar now so I don't even use those mounting points any more. I guess you could get a new mount tab welded on there if you wanted.

Problems like this are almost expected when you buy a modded car.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, that's what i was afraid of and wanted to make sure that i couldn't use it. I have to put this rear sway bar for sale and look for an OEM style like the mentioned BMR or Steeda. Thanks for the help guys.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yea, that's what i was afraid of and wanted to make sure that i couldn't use it. I have to put this rear sway bar for sale and look for an OEM style like the mentioned BMR or Steeda. Thanks for the help guys.

I'll look for my old BMR sway bar. I think I gave it away but if I still have it I'll let you have it for a small charity donation. I'll look tonight as I'm working on the car later anyways.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
You could weld on a section of mild steel to match the tab that was removed. It's fairly simple and will allow you to mount to the original location.

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
I'll look for my old BMR sway bar. I think I gave it away but if I still have it I'll let you have it for a small charity donation. I'll look tonight as I'm working on the car later anyways.

Oh man, that would be awesome! I'll PM you my cell phone # in case you find it please get in touch with me

Davidx9x

forum member
Reaction score
You could weld on a section of mild steel to match the tab that was removed. It's fairly simple and will allow you to mount to the original location.

I thought about this, but wouldn't the welds be a weak point with time?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
And not that it matters but the shock bolt is on backwards too. The tabbed nut should be on the other side.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I had a similar issue after relocating the sway bar, in that the LCA relocation brackets needed a relief area for the sway bar; made a little space in the LCA brackets (filing and grinding) without affecting structural integrity of the LCA brackets.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back