Return VS. Returnless Fuel System...Which way to go?

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I remember Jason "Jodade" Had some drivability issues with his with twin 405's in a GT500 hat running returnless. I guess the only issue is when you are flowing too much for the factory components to compensate for.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wonder how far Dual Deatschwerks DW200 Fuel Pumps In Stock Hat, S&H Performance Hat To Rail Fuel Line Kit With FORE Fuel Filter, FORE Fuel Rails and ID1000's will take me without a BAP on E85 returnless? LOL, I might find that out next week.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I remember Jason "Jodade" Had some drivability issues with his with twin 405's in a GT500 hat running returnless. I guess the only issue is when you are flowing too much for the factory components to compensate for.

Yup. The pcm had a hard time dealing with the rapid change in flow when it modulated those pumps. I have had two people test the dual 405 pump in a gt500 hat setup in returnless. First Greg and then Jason. Both tuners Mike at Mid Atlantic Performance and Adam at rev auto for each car respectively had a hard time and spent a lot of time getting them to work well. Greg's setup was seeing some pretty wild spikes, some up to 90-100psi iirc. He had every returnless supporting mod in the book, other than stock rails still. I had full 10 gauge wiring to the fpdms and from fpdms to the pumps, pprv deleted, 8an line and fore filter upgrade. We even tried adding a bap to help stabilize the voltage to keep the pressure under control. Safe to say 800-900lph was too much for the returnless setup to handle.

I wonder how far Dual Deatschwerks DW200 Fuel Pumps In Stock Hat, S&H Performance Hat To Rail Fuel Line Kit With FORE Fuel Filter, FORE Fuel Rails and ID1000's will take me without a BAP on E85 returnless? LOL, I might find that out next week.

To guess, around 600rwhp on your turbo setup with e85. A pd blower setup would see a bit less. A single 40amp bap would make me feel a little more comfortable on that setup depending on your power goal.

A safe rule of thumb that I'm starting to see work pretty often for e85 is that max power potential is around 10% (give or take) more than the total lph of your pumps.

So if you have a twin 255lph pump setup or around over 510-520lph of flow 600rwhp is a safe estimate. If you want 1,000 rwhp on e85 a pump flow of around 900lph is a safe goal. etc

Again things like bsfc for your setup, line/rail upgrades, injector size etc, all play a role in this.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
First I'd look at the manufacturers data. I haven't found an aftermarket pump that was recommended for a returnless system other than Walbro. With that said I know that they are being used successfully in some applications so there is a disconnect of some kind in the manufacturers specs.

I've used GT500 pumps without a bap and with E85. The pumps were maxed at around 575rwhp. Changing from the gt500 power wire (14 gauge?) to an 8 gauge wire allowed for a safe 599rwhp.

Adding a single 40 amp bap allowed for 699rwhp and a duty cycle of 86% with e85. That was with Bosch Racing 970cc injectors and a delta of 39.15psi.

I would think that two 255 walbros would give you the same results only a little more because you aren't driving a supercharger.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Welp, guess they finally fixed that issue lol. I had the 200s, I figured bigger ones would be even harder. Good job on their part

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are a good choice, I have used the standard ones modified to fit, they work very well and dw's 3 year warranty is legit. But like mentioned it was a lot of work to get them in. I am currently testing the more compact dw300's that fit the gt500 hat right now and plan to add them to my lineup of offerings. I want to make sure they have the same range of performance first and I have a few different setups being tested.

Last edited:

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are stock returnless lines with Fore rails enough for my goals?

You can always push more fuel through stock stuff with enough pump. But at 600rwhp on e85 is where I would upgrade it. On Dysan's car he saw a 26% drop in duty cycle with the 8an line and filter upgrade and pprv delete. This was a gt500 fuel system with a bap at around 600rwhp.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
You can always push more fuel through stock stuff with enough pump. But at 600rwhp on e85 is where I would upgrade it. On Dysan's car he saw a 26% drop in duty cycle with the 8an line and filter upgrade and pprv delete. This was a gt500 fuel system with a bap at around 600rwhp.

Does someone have a kit with bigger lines to stay returnless?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back