Return VS. Returnless Fuel System...Which way to go?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Where to start? lol

They have pros and cons as anything from a driveability, tuneability and reliability standpoint this is what I have found. Returnless setups are great and do well for the average setup up to around 700-800hp on gas and 600-700 on corn. You can always mod the system to go past that, bap, rails line filter upgrades, pprv delete etc. These mods help a lot and are all things done on a return setup that are being carried over to returnless. E85 will always favor a return setup from a flow standpoint alone mechincal regulation will always be better responding to the increased flow demand. Not that you cant make a returnless setup work. I love returnless setups and moding them making them work, but going return for my power goals(700hp+) on e85 was a no brainer and I'm glad I did.

Another thing to note, you always get such wide results from guy to guy running the same returnless mod'd setup. I deal with this all the time. You don't get that with return setups they are more direct and up front with the hp they make and its not a big difference from setup to setup.

Dead head setup: So yes this is one of the many ways to do it and while it will work and is the simplest, less hoses and connections etc. It is the least desirable for a high hp application imho. One reason is path of least resistance when it comes to flow because the fuel is returned to the tank right a the regulator pre-rails (before the load/injectors take the fuel). You will not get as much flow and hp potential though the rails as you would on a setup that mounts the regulator post rail and all the flow must go through the rails (which is most common/preferred method.) Regulator valve design and internal geometry also play a role in this, not all regulators are designed to be "dead head" supportive. Some regulators only support pass through regulation from certain port configurations etc. That aeromotive regulator appears to have the proper setup for dead head from what I can see. I know Fore's cheapest stage 1 kit is a dead head kit and he only rates it to 800hp, where as the series/parallel rail with post rail regulator setups are rated to 1200hp. Not that the dead head setup cant work and wont work well when setup up correctly. There is a more positive determination of hp potential when all fuel flow must pass through the rails. The dead head setup gives the flow a choice on going out to each rail or going back down to the tank so you cant say for sure there isn't a flow/pressure differential from each leg, again regulator design and geometry with help this.

Pressure
The base pressure in a return setup is/can be setup no different than delta pressure in a returnless setup like mentioned. The regulator gets a boost/vac signal just like the frps does on the oem setup. And base pressure ( pressure set at the regulator with the car off and pumps on) is maintained just as delta pressure is by the pcm.

The return setup with mechanical regulator will always be better controlled and more accurate than a returnless setup. As the regulator is mounted up at the rails where the load is. As mentioned this really shines at high flow high hp levels. The mechanical regulator responds instantaneously to maintain base pressure as flow is always there and the valve is all that moves. In returnless you are also still subject to the rate of flow change cause by the pump when its modulated so its not precise adjustability like the valve in the regulator. While the pcm is pulsing the pumps will always be playing catch up to whats going on. (frps at the rail and fpdm pulsing the pump down in the tank) The biggest lag here is pressure differential due to the frps being so far away from the pump from what I have seen. Also large changes in boost/vac, while the frps and pcm in turn see it right away the pump itself responding is not as quick.

An example of how they compare in this regard is when I was testing my bap on my returnless setup, I had the car on and idling. I would wing the knob from full lean to full rich and the fuel pressure would jump from the 30's at idle to 50-55psi and take a few seconds to come back down to delta where it was. On my return setup I was doing a similar test to test the trigger for my second 465 pump. The regulator is set at 43psi and the car is on idling at 32ish psi (my regulator is boost/vac referenced). I tested the trigger and heard the pump comeing on, so remembering my results from testing the bap, I turned to watch my fuel pressure gauge. This time my fuel pressure was still solid there was the faintest twitch noticeable when the pump kicked on and I just added 430lph+ of flow to the system compared to 100-150lph a bap will add. Noticeable difference for sure for me.

Another example to mention is I ran run out of gas a few times before on my returnless setup, in each case fuel pressure began bouncing wildly before hand and then dropping slowly to zero and then car shut off. When I was driving out the rest of the 93 out of my tank on the way to the track on the return setup I was expecting the same results to know when to pull over and add the e85 I had in the trunk. However pressure stayed rock solid up until the car shut off and pressure dropped right to zero.

This gives you some insight on how a regulator responds compared to a frps/fpdm.

I will try to find some vids of before and after, on my many returnless setups, they always bounced pressure even at steady state operation.
With the regulator pressure is rock solid everywhere, at key on, idling after vac is applied and when it ramps up with boost to maintain base pressure.

Bruce I envy you, you have the ability to tune your own car and have lots of experience with your setup which is a huge plus for you making it easy to dial in for your changing setups. Your average tuner tunes thousands of different setups and that goes hand in hand with tuning issues in returnless fuel systems. They don't get all the attention and time that you can put into your own setup and that's why so many guys have issues. As some one that makes fuel systems, I have found the many ins and outs of this and learned a lot about it. And from this often ask guys who they use for tuning before I recommend a fuel system.

Last edited:

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
Anyone have any reason not to run a "deadhead" system? It's a return style system, but is returnless at the motor. This is what I have planned for mine.

It goes; supply line to regulator. Return line from regulator. Then two supply lines from the regulator to the rails. No fuel returns from the rails which are capped at the ends.

That is how I have been running mine. I did not have real estate to do anything else at the time thanks to the location of my alternator.

With my new setup I will be running thru the rails tho

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Here are a few datalogs of wot pulls. The first one is my current setup with the M122 and DOB. BAP is turned all the way down. Commanded fuel pressure is 39.15 and 54psi.

Fuel system consists of gt500 pumps, 55lb 2013 gt500 injectors, 8 gauge power wire, and a bap turned down.

This is from the Procharger setup. I had to scale the tune to accommodate the airflow. Fuel pressure was commanded at 39.15psi. It had the same fuel setup except the bap was turned up, 970cc Bosch injectors were used, and the fuel was E85.

The pumps weren't able to keep up toward the end. They still kept enough fuel flowing to keep the a/f where it was supposed to be. You can see that on this log I was using the RFS Error pid. Adding the error and actual psi should equal 39.15 or really close to it depending on the lag between signals.

This pull made 699.97rwhp.

Like I've said previously my experience is only with my setups and returnless has worked very well for me.

Does anyone have a log of fuel pressure with a return setup? I'd like to see it. Does anyone with a return style still have the frps hooked up for logging purposes?

The injector pressure drop pid only showed what was commanded so it was a flat line at 39.15. Looked real good until I figured out it was the target, lol.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I still have my frps, most tuners like to keep it making easy to see when tuning, it also has a temperature sensor. I actually inquired with Mike when he was tuning my car about the fuel pressure and he ensured me I had nothing to worry about with the return setup. He showed me a pull on his laptop to humor me pressure was 43-44psi throughout the run, no spikes when getting on it, just goes right to where its set. I don't have a picture of it. I have my base pressure set to what is recommended for my injectors 3 bar (43.5psi). I'm sure someone will have some pics of datalogs for ya.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
IMO returnless is a better way to go. It lets you adjust fuel pressure in the tune and on the fly. What I mean by that is you can run 39psi for lower loads and command a higher psi for higher loads. This lets the injectors run a longer and more accurate pulse width at lower loads like in town driving.

The max I've run on e85 was 699rwhp uncorrected -meaning that it was actual power the pumps were supplying. This was done with gt500 pumps, bosch injectors that were rated 970cc at 3 bar and 1300cc at 4 bar, and a single 40 amp bap. It was powered with an 8 gauge wire.

Max duty cycle was 86%.

Someone might correct me on this but all a return style really does is make it easier for the tuner. Set the regulator and that's it. The downfall is at lower power levels because that 5 bar needed to run wot is still there for normal driving. This means very short pulse widths are needed to run the motor at low loads.

Ready for someone to explain it differently.

I agree with most of this, except aren't a lot of return systems based of vac/boost pressure?

All the ones I've seen you set your base pressure and it goes up and down based on vac/boost pressure.

EDIT: Ignore me, Jeremy covered it hahaha

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So a boost referenced regulator is going to change psi depending on vacuum/boost? But it never has a microsecond of drop or spike between the motor signal (vacuum) controlling the regulator and the actual demand?

It's clearly visible in the returnless datalog I posted. It hasn't caused any issues though.

FWIW a stock 4.6 3v commands up to 72.5psi at higher loads. I've never seen a spike larger than that.

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with most of this, except aren't a lot of return systems based of vac/boost pressure?

All the ones I've seen you set your base pressure and it goes up and down based on vac/boost pressure.

EDIT: Ignore me, Jeremy covered it hahaha

The regulator can be set as "static" or "rising rate". Static is set the pressure and it doesn't change. Rising rate uses a boost reference to increase fuel pressure as boost increases. The fuel pressure doesn't reduce lower than the set base pressure on either setup.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Exactly. The best system setup is the regulator after the rails, meaning the pressure in the rails is exactly what the regulator is letting through. The delay in time is quite literally immeasurable by any tool we could afford, and is magnitudes less than the electronic delays.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If it's a boost referenced regulator then it's also dependent on a signal to raise the pressure.

BTW an electronic signal travels at close to the speed of light.

But the volume of fuel is already there.

There's still time for everything to react. I'm an electronic tech by trade. So I play with electrical signals quite a bit. :D

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I was a tech back in the mid 80's during my Air Force days. Worked on Weather and Navigational equipment/systems.

I realize that this is going to be against the grain but I'm wondering if a return system is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in the s197?

Has anyone had issues with the returnless system in a s197? It seems to work very well with factory components like gt500 pumps and factory rails.

Maybe it only becomes a liability when you are pushing so much fuel that aftermarket pumps, lines, and rails are needed? Most of the aftermarket pumps I've looked into say that they only work with a return system. Is there a mismatch of components going on that's causing issues?

I'm just wondering what all the hub bub is about? Lol.

There's still time for everything to react. I'm an electronic tech by trade. So I play with electrical signals quite a bit. :D

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The regulator can be set as "static" or "rising rate". Static is set the pressure and it doesn't change. Rising rate uses a boost reference to increase fuel pressure as boost increases. The fuel pressure doesn't reduce lower than the set base pressure on either setup.

Mine will run lower pressure under vacuum.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks Dave,

Unfortunately we don't have the same pids. IIRC rail, rfs, and injector drop all display the same pressue or very close to it. If not someone will be in to explain why not. I'm fairly certain this is why I no longer log pressure drop because the other pids display the same values with livelink.

Here's one of the logs Dave sent. The pressure still varies throughout the rpm range.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Here's one of the logs Dave sent. The pressure still varies throughout the rpm range.

What kind of setup is that? My pressure is all over the place (it's supposed to). mine runs anywhere from 36-64psi depending on vac/boost.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that Billy. This is a log from when I had the Paxton. The injector pressure drop pid I selected must not be the right one because other than a couple of blips it's almost a straight line throughout the log just like it is in this view of just the pull.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What kind of setup is that? My pressure is all over the place (it's supposed to). mine runs anywhere from 36-64psi depending on vac/boost.

The first gen Fore/Lethal triple pump set up.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A boost referenced regulator. Ok, I get that. How is it better than returnless with a vacuum/boost regulated fpdm getting it's signal from the frps?

It sounds very similar except for the return line. If fuel pressure is regulated by a signal then why have the return line?

IMO, reaction time. With a return system the ECU has to sense that you've floored it and then tell the pumps to speed up to increase pressure. While it happens fast, it still takes time. With a return style the volume is always there ready to be used.

If it's a boost referenced regulator then it's also dependent on a signal to raise the pressure.

BTW an electronic signal travels at close to the speed of light.

This is a good exchange on the matter and the key point to how the systems differ and why return is favored for higher hp applications.

In return. the flow and volume is always/already there to support the max hp capable by your pumps/system. Based on vac/boost and load of the injectors the regulator just maintains mechanical set pressure base and bypasses the rest of the fuel back to the tank. The regulator reacts directly to the boost/vac reference and its done, that's it. Your not just increasing pressure with load per say, rather the regulator is decreasing flow back to the tank on the spot. (this in turn raises rail pressure)

In returnless. The flow/volume to make the power is not there yet. The pcm has to modulate the pumps while not exceeding delta pressure as commanded to get the fuel flow needed at that given time to the injectors. So you are physically waiting on the fuel to get to the rails from the tank after all the sensors and pcm do its job. So your not just relying on a speed of light electrical signal. The FRPS reacts the boost/vac signal and pressure it senses. Then sends signals to the pcm, pcm narrows or widens pulse width to increase flow of the pumps to maintain delta and that fuel has to physically get to the injectors from the tank.
This is why you get pressure spikes and why my bap spiked pressure when turning it up. The pump just ramped up and shot a bunch of fuel up to the rail that had no where to go, now the frps/pcm sees over pressure and ramps the pumps down below past where they actually needed to be in the first place. This is the "always playing catch-up" scenario I mentioned. It is noticeable during shifts as well when your dropping boost and injectors are shutting for a split second. With this method you really are increasing or decreasing pressure to get that flow the injectors need.

A mechanically regulated setup doesn't have this issue. What ever volume is not needed or needed when getting on and off throttle and in and out of boost is simply used or bypassed back to the tank.

To close, this is where that big/high HP reliability comes in to play for a return setup. If your fuel setup is built to handle 1200hp on your car, then the fuel to make that power is always there for the injectors. There is no waiting for it to get there when the boost and power comes in.( bar using a hobbs to turn on other pumps if you do so etc). Returnless has to get the fuel flow there after its realized its needed, not that it cant do it fast and be tuned to do it well with some detailed attention. Which method would give you a warm fuzzy on that high $/hp build? This goes for the guy getting his car tuned as well as the tuner. I like both systems for their different pro and cons. Returnless will always be more street friendly and put less heat in the fuel, it can be done cost effectively as well when the setup is not overly complicated which is nice. They have enough differences to always be able to argue reliability one way or the other.

Last edited:

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Well stated Jeremy, your post is spot on. I will add that Ford uses an Aeromotive return fuel system for its factory Cobra Jet race cars.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back