RIP SBE - just like that it is over!!! NSFW - bare engine parts inside

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by ponys197, Apr 29, 2021.

1. ponys197

ponys197 forum member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She let go mexico testing after about 5 or 6 passes the previous weekend and about 20 passes at 18 to 20psi.

Rick Simons and MrAwesome987 like this.
  2. ponys197

ponys197 forum member

Here is the tear down video -

3. RED09GT

RED09GT Equal Opportunity Offender S197 Team Member

It had a good run.
    It didn't window the block so that may be salvageable. That is pretty much the least destructive stock rod failure I've seen on a mod motor.

4. Dino Dino Bambino

Dino Dino Bambino I have a red car

Unfortunately it did hole the block so it's trash but the crank looks like it survived.
    With ~600rwhp from a stock 4.6 3V short block, it did very well to last that long considering you ran the piss out of it. A spectacular and fitting end to its life. No doubt you'll find another 3V engine, build that up with a forged bottom end plus billet oil pump gears, and aim even higher. Perhaps to run 8's?

5. 86GT351

86GT351 forum member

ouch!

6. Juice

Juice forum member

I want to see the top of the piston!

7. ponys197

ponys197 forum member

I will work on getting the heads off and seeing what they look like. I don't think it is up that far.

8. Juice

Juice forum member

I know these rods have a rep for being "weak". I was just wondering if there may have been some detonation that stressed the rod.

9. ponys197

ponys197 forum member

I don't think there was. Running E85 and a Holley - AFR's looked good and consistent in all the logs. Only seeing a max of 11 to 14 degrees up top on timing. The motor had a Whipple on it before the turbo on the stock ECU on 93. It lived a hard life the last 2 years for sure as it was raced without hesitation. I took that inspiration from Carroll Shelby in that these cars are made to be enjoyed and that I did.

10. Rick Simons

Rick Simons Member

That's a pretty respectable lifespan for that bottom end running that much puff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.