Roush front bumper failed inspection in VA

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
So I recently failed inspection in Virginia for having too many front lights. I have the original fogs and aftermarket roush ones on the bottom bumper. Is this a actual thing? I've never had this happened before. Apparently they told the max amount of lights is 4 not 6.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'm all for personal freedoms but I'm guessing the reasoning behind the law was to prevent idiots from putting a bunch of extra lights on their cars and blinding other drivers. Not to mention how silly a car would look with two separate sets of fog lights.

I'm not feeling much sympathy for ya, sorry.

JJ427R

Reaction score
I believe most Roush's came with both sets 2010 and prior, my 2010 was that way. You are able to turn one set or the other off. I've never heard that law before or ever had an issue with mine. I now have the Roush 7 bar upper grill so grille fogs are deleted, that would be an option for you....

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Skwerl, I think he means that there are two in the grill and two in the lower bumper.

If so, pull one set out for inspection and replace when done. Or point out that the wiring does not allow them all to be on at once, turn it on and show them. Pulling out on the main switch turns on the grill set, turning on the Roush rocker turns off the grill set and turns on the Roush fogs.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Your inspector doesn't know what they are talking about.

Per the code, you CAN have headlamps, driving lamps and fog lamps. There is nothing in the code that states you CAN'T have six forward facing lights. However, the code does state that not more than four lamps can be lit at the same time and the wiring in the system does prevent them all from being lit at the same time (unless, someone has defeated this functionality).

Per the code:
"No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle."

The code details the operation of driving lamps and fog lamps; in specific, when they can operate in conjunction with the headlamps in either low or high beam.

theRedStorm

forum member
Reaction score
Your inspector doesn't know what they are talking about.

Per the code, you CAN have headlamps, driving lamps and fog lamps. There is nothing in the code that states you CAN'T have six forward facing lights. However, the code does state that not more than four lamps can be lit at the same time and the wiring in the system does prevent them all from being lit at the same time (unless, someone has defeated this functionality).

Per the code:
"No more than four lamps, including two headlamps, may be lighted at any time to provide general illumination ahead of the vehicle."

The code details the operation of driving lamps and fog lamps; in specific, when they can operate in conjunction with the headlamps in either low or high beam.
This is what I told him. I believe you can have as many as you want but only a total of 4 lamps have to be on at once. I'm literally SHOCKED This is the first time this has ever happened to me in 3 years of owning my car. Smh. These losers

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
That inspector is clueless. All 2005-2009 Roush cars have six forward facing lights. As stated above, only 4 illuminate at once...and the selected fogs/driving lights shut off with high beams.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
That inspector is clueless. All 2005-2009 Roush cars have six forward facing lights. As stated above, only 4 illuminate at once...and the selected fogs/driving lights shut off with high beams.

Baffles me why fogs can't be used in conjunction with high beams ?? Like if ur gonna blind somebody with the high beams, who really cares if the fogs are also on. On my 2011 Fusion, there is separate hi and low beam modules. The low beams sit outboard. At least on the Fusion, when on hi beam, the low beams are still functional..and that setup works superb...with 4 lights on at once. Fogs shut off when high beams are on.

On my old dodge, halogen combo low / hi beam module sat outboard. Inboard of that was the separate stand alone high beams. When on high beams, BOTH high beams on each side came on ! Resulting in a total of 4 x high beams.

I installed a 7 bar upper grille and lost the oem upper fogs. The Piaa fogs mounted in my lower CDC grille are next to useless.. they are too low to be effective. Whats needed is a led driving lamp, super bright, but they too have to be well off the ground to be effective. If we didn't have to have front plates, that would be a good place to put em.

Roush dealer, local to me, said they modify the oem Roush switching, so either / both fogs can be used at the same time as the normal hi / low beam lights... IE: 6 on at once. Illegal of course, but it's done all the time. Simple mod.

The inspector obviously doesn't know the rules. Put all the lights you want on the car.. just don't turn on more than 4 at a time. On a side note, when I lived in Northern BC, the odd trucker would have aircraft landing lights installed..which worked great in the middle of the night, on desolate hwys'.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Bring a copy of the code to your inspector and have them read it + add up the lights (e.g. headlights (2) "and" fogs (4) = the amount allowed. If they don't agree, ask for their supervisor. Should be a no-brainer/slam-dunk!

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
So I recently failed inspection in Virginia for having too many front lights. I have the original fogs and aftermarket roush ones on the bottom bumper. Is this a actual thing? I've never had this happened before. Apparently they told the max amount of lights is 4 not 6.

I live in Northern Virginia, I have had my set up for 10 yrs which means = 10 annual inspections. Never had an issue and I have taken mine to different shops. This inspector does not know the rules. Recommend you take to a Ford Dealership and get it inspected there.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tell the inspector you believe he's wrong due to the code (show it to him or tell him what it is). Then tell him you will contact the DMV (or whatever Va. calls the group) to complain.

I had an inspector tell me something was going to fail my car once. I knew better, told him the law and said I'm going to complain the NY State. He was indignant about the whole thing. I stopped outside the building and took a picture of his inspection license sign with my phone.

Within 30 minutes he called me back and said he did some research and found I was correct. He apologized.

Nobody wants the State coming around about a complaint and digging into their business records.

13v6

Reaction score
The inspection guy was right. You cannot have more than four lights on at any one time. It may not be enforced as much but it's still a thing. 2 headlights + 2 fogs or 4 headlights and fogs go off automatically when the highs are on. I bet if you either disconnected 2 or put them on a separate switch it would work but that's not a 100% bet.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The inspection guy was right. You cannot have more than four lights on at any one time. It may not be enforced as much but it's still a thing. 2 headlights + 2 fogs or 4 headlights and fogs go off automatically when the highs are on. I bet if you either disconnected 2 or put them on a separate switch it would work but that's not a 100% bet.

Roush cars are wired such that only ONE set of fog lamps can be on at any one time. Roush installs a 2nd switch. 2nd switch used to toggle between oem foglamps in upper grille...and Roush foglamps in lower grille. IE: no way to have more than 4 lights on at any one time. So, it's either low beam lights and your choice of upper / lower foglamps, or high beams..and no foglamps at all.

The inspector busted him for simply having a total of 6 x lights on the car..which is bs.

bambam 06

Reaction score
You had the bad luck of running into somebody that has no idea what he is doing. Go back and show the supervisor what the law requires, get re inspected and don't return to that place.

Bullitt 4641

Reaction score
So, according to that "inspector", the earlier Jeep Trailhawks would be illegal to license in Virginia (?). No doubt you were dealing with an idiot.
2015-jeep-cherokee-trailhawk-front-angle-4-640x640.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back