S-197 Retro question/opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I've always thought 65-66. But seemed popular opinion was 67-68

The roof, 1/4 windows along with separate A/B pillars are most definitely 65-66 and also the horizontal decklid as well.. The instrument cluster, gauges, dash pad and steering wheel hub are all inspired by the 67-68.. The hood, grille, fog lights and front valance seem to take after the 69 models and the tail lights IMO are reminiscent of the 1970 design..

So do u think the 10-14 look like a different year style? 67-68? 69-70?
Just interested in opinions

Ford took styling cues from 65-66, 67-68 and 69-70.. Not just from one particular year or body style.. As for the 10-14 look, all Ford really did was take the styling cues from the 05-09 cars and gave the 10-14's a more contemporary but still retro look to them..

Last edited:

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
The roof, 1/4 windows along with separate A/B pillars are most definitely 65-66 and also the horizontal decklid as well.. The instrument cluster, gauges, dash pad and steering wheel hub are all inspired by the 67-68.. The hood, grille, fog lights and front valance seem to take after the 69 models and the tail lights IMO are reminiscent of the 1970 design..

Ford took styling cues from 65-66, 67-68 and 69-70.. Not just from one particular year or body style.. As for the 10-14 look, all Ford really did was take the styling cues from the 05-09 cars and gave the 10-14's a more contemporary but still retro look to them..

Perfect. Thanks for your answer. thats just what I was looking for !!:party52:

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
There is definitely a blend of many of the early years of the Mustang in the S197, especially (to me) the '05-'09's.

My preference would be a 65-66 fastback if I could afford it.

For me, the S197 is the modern iteration of the 60's muscle car but with modern amenities like brakes that work, shit like that, lol. That's exactly why I bought my Bullitt. Yeah it's crude, unrefined and noisy but it gives the car character, I think.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The hoods on the 1965 - 1970 Mustangs were 'flatter' and did not droop like the '71 - '73's . . . or the S197's. This specific detail is what I was referring to earlier - judge for yourself from the profiles already posted (cropped).

picture.php

Norm

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
For me, the S197 is the modern iteration of the 60's muscle car but with modern amenities like brakes that work, shit like that, lol. That's exactly why I bought my Bullitt.

My thoughts exactly. S197 is my favorite mustang and my favorite car. Bought my 14. never intend on selling it.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
There is definitely a blend of many of the early years of the Mustang in the S197, especially (to me) the '05-'09's.

My preference would be a 65-66 fastback if I could afford it.

For me, the S197 is the modern iteration of the 60's muscle car but with modern amenities like brakes that work, shit like that, lol. That's exactly why I bought my Bullitt. Yeah it's crude, unrefined and noisy but it gives the car character, I think.

Here's how J.Mays VP of Ford design described the styling of the S197 Mustang..
The S197 is a modern interpretation of the classic 1st generation 65-70 era Mustangs referred to as Retro-Futuristic..

That being said, I happen to agree with this description completely :hail:

The hoods on the 1965 - 1970 Mustangs were 'flatter' and did not droop like the '71 - '73's . . . or the S197's. This specific detail is what I was referring to earlier - judge for yourself from the profiles already posted (cropped).

picture.php

Norm

I see exactly what you mean now from the profiles you posted.. What I was getting at through is, I was going by the similarity the S197 hoods have in common with the 69-70 cars, as in the way they both have tapered curved edges to them.. However after comparing the differences between the profiles you posted, I'm now convinced the 65-70 hoods are indeed flatter compared with the 71-73 and the S197..

In the meantime, thanks for posting the profiles, as they were very helpful :waytogo:

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
What do you mean the fastback on the 69-70 cars don't go all the way to the back of the car :goofy_batman: I suggest you look again, as they most certainly do go all the way back to the rear decklid.. FYI: the 69-70 fastback models were technically referred to as Sportsroofs..

Perhaps you missed the part where I specified "Mach 1". Take a look at all these pics which is just a yahoo search for 1970 Mach 1. Notice how in most of the pics the roof line goes almost to the taillights but not quite. Also look at the spoilers and see how similar they look to the s197 spoilers.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...waXZz?p=1970+mach+1+pics&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the part where I specified "Mach 1". Take a look at all these pics which is just a yahoo search for 1970 Mach 1. Notice how in most of the pics the roof line goes almost to the taillights but not quite. Also look at the spoilers and see how similar they look to the s197 spoilers.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...waXZz?p=1970+mach+1+pics&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t

I didn't miss anything that you posted Darren.. The point I'm getting across is all 69-70 fastback models including the Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 351 and Boss 429 all have sloping rooflines that extend throughout the decklid/trunk.. The tail lights have nothing to do with it.. It's the roofline and trunk area that matter..

Compare the 67-73 fastback models with the 65-66 and 2005-14 S197 models and you'll notice the difference how much longer the roofline extends all the way back into the trunk area at a 90 degree angle..

The 65-66 2+2 fastback and S197 models on the other hand all have flat, horizontal trunk sections and also have much shorter rooflines.. In the meantime, hope this clarifies things a bit more..

-Rocky

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The spoilers your referring to on the 69-70 Mach 1 were mounted just in front of the trailing edge of the built in ducktail spoliers.. The S197 has never had an integrated ducktail spolier, as once again the trunk section on the S197 is flat and horizontal just as the 65-66 2+2 fastback models are..

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't miss anything that you posted Darren.. The point I'm getting across is all 69-70 fastback models including the Mach 1, Boss 302, Boss 351 and Boss 429 all have sloping rooflines that extend throughout the decklid/trunk.. The tail lights have nothing to do with it.. It's the roofline and trunk area that matter..

Compare the 67-73 fastback models with the 65-66 and 2005-14 S197 models and you'll notice the difference how much longer the roofline extends all the way back into the trunk area at a 90 degree angle..

The 65-66 2+2 fastback and S197 models on the other hand all have flat, horizontal trunk sections and also have much shorter rooflines.. In the meantime, hope this clarifies things a bit more..

-Rocky

Ok, lets see if I can get my point across this way.

Look at this pic of the back end of a 1970 Mach 1 with spoiler. I'll call this pic A.

http://adamcomotorsports.com/wp-content/gallery/1970-mustang-mach-1-fastback/P7252533.JPG

Here is a classic looking fastback with no spoiler / no ducktail. This is what I am referring to when I say a roofline that goes to the tail lights. I'll call this pic B.

http://www.endangeredcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/red-1970-mustang-rear.jpg?efb8be

Here is a 1967 GT500 back end with the classic ducktail. I'll call this pic C.

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/110414135+w620+re0/1967-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-brittany-blue-rear.jpg

Here is a 1970 GT500 back end with a ducktail. I'll call this pic D.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/shelby/shelby-mustang-010-2.jpg

And of course, here is a 2005 Mustang GT back end.

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/techarticles/18432442/m5lp_0601_04_z+vortec_2005_ford_mustang_GT+rear_view.jpg

Now which of the above pictures most resembles the above 2005 mustang GT in my opinion? That would be pic A every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

They are not twins by any stretch of the imagination but the resemblance is certainly there. I hope this clarifies my opinion and why I choose to defend it.

Darren

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, lets see if I can get my point across this way.

Look at this pic of the back end of a 1970 Mach 1 with spoiler. I'll call this pic A.

http://adamcomotorsports.com/wp-content/gallery/1970-mustang-mach-1-fastback/P7252533.JPG

Here is a classic looking fastback with no spoiler / no ducktail. This is what I am referring to when I say a roofline that goes to the tail lights. I'll call this pic B.

http://www.endangeredcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/red-1970-mustang-rear.jpg?efb8be

Here is a 1967 GT500 back end with the classic ducktail. I'll call this pic C.

http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/110414135+w620+re0/1967-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-brittany-blue-rear.jpg

Here is a 1970 GT500 back end with a ducktail. I'll call this pic D.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/main/shelby/shelby-mustang-010-2.jpg

And of course, here is a 2005 Mustang GT back end.

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/techarticles/18432442/m5lp_0601_04_z+vortec_2005_ford_mustang_GT+rear_view.jpg

Now which of the above pictures most resembles the above 2005 mustang GT in my opinion? That would be pic A every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

They are not twins by any stretch of the imagination but the resemblance is certainly there. I hope this clarifies my opinion and why I choose to defend it.

Darren

Darren ! I completely understand where your coming from.. The differences in the images you posted are in the spoilers.. The only difference between the image of the 67 Mustang fastback and the 67 Shelby GT500, is the 67 fastback doesn't have a spoiler and the 67 GT500 does.. Remove the duck tail spoiler from the 67 GT500 and you end up with exactly the same trunk lid as the 67 fastback.. Same applies with the 69-70 Mach 1..

Now do a side by side comparison between the images you posted and ask yourself this question.. Do the trunk sections slope towards the rear of the car at a 90 degree angle ? If the answer is yes, they're a full fastback..

Then do a side by side comparison between the 65-66 2+2 fastback and S197 and ask yourself the same question.. Then compare them all, and you'll then see the difference and realize the S197 has far more in common with the 65-66 2+2 fastback as both trunk sections are level and have no slope to them at all, where as the 67-70 fastback models all have 90 degree angled trunk sections to them..

-Rocky

Attachments

• 66fstbck_a.jpg
    66fstbck_a.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Mustang-5826.jpg
    Mustang-5826.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 7
  • kylepics004.jpg
    kylepics004.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2008_00004_05.jpg
    2008_00004_05.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score

picture.php

Norm

You are probably more right than I am. I tell ya though Sitting in the car this morning on my way to work. In my line of sight I look at the line. the horizontal line of the back of the hood from the edge of the fender its flat. then raises up and goes 3/4 to the other side and goes flat again. Reminds me very much of my 89 GT that I put a Cervini Mach-1 hood on.Also Noticed that as the fender comes up to meet the hood it does sink down a bit before meeting the hood. Like the 71 models

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score
You are probably more right than I am. I tell ya though Sitting in the car this morning on my way to work. In my line of sight I look at the line. the horizontal line of the back of the hood from the edge of the fender its flat. then raises up and goes 3/4 to the other side and goes flat again. Reminds me very much of my 89 GT that I put a Cervini Mach-1 hood on.Also Noticed that as the fender comes up to meet the hood it does sink down a bit before meeting the hood. Like the 71 models

as for the fenders sinking a bit I mean for the 13-14 models. Not sure about 05-12.

FloStang

forum member
Reaction score

Cool Thanks. All I saw was 65-66 influence. You opened my eyes to where the 67-68 came from

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Darren ! I completely understand where your coming from.. The differences in the images you posted are in the spoilers.. The only difference between the image of the 67 Mustang fastback and the 67 Shelby GT500, is the 67 fastback doesn't have a spoiler and the 67 GT500 does.. Remove the duck tail spoiler from the 67 GT500 and you end up with exactly the same trunk lid as the 67 fastback.. Same applies with the 69-70 Mach 1..

Now do a side by side comparison between the images you posted and ask yourself this question.. Do the trunk sections slope towards the rear of the car at a 90 degree angle ? If the answer is yes, they're a full fastback..

Then do a side by side comparison between the 65-66 2+2 fastback and S197 and ask yourself the same question.. Then compare them all, and you'll then see the difference and realize the S197 has far more in common with the 65-66 2+2 fastback as both trunk sections are level and have no slope to them at all, where as the 67-70 fastback models all have 90 degree angled trunk sections to them..

-Rocky

You can't remove the spoiler from the S197 because that would negate the whole debate IMO. This is about how the cars look from the factory. So once again, in my opinion, the 69 Mach one looks similar to me to the S197.

The front ends:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...bump-cov-gt500-chin-spoiler-installed-005.jpg

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru..._gt_cobra_jet_convertible_cj-front_grille.jpg

Yeah they are not twins but I can definitely see the family resemblance.

The back ends:

http://image.mustang50magazine.com/f/techarticles/18432442/m5lp_0601_04_z+vortec_2005_ford_mustang_GT+rear_vi ew.jpg

Yep, I definitely see the family resemblance. It seems to me you are hell bent on trying to tell me that my opinion is wrong (or crazy) just because it doesn't exactly match your opinion.

Well sorry to say that I am entitled to my opinion, I'm justified in my opinion and I see no reason to change my opinion. Remember that I didn't start this by quoting you and attacking your opinions but rather that is what you did to me.

So you want to keep this going? Fine. Keep quoting me and I will keep defending my position. This thread can get to 100 pages or get locked if the moderators get annoyed enough.

You have a great night though,

Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back