S197 Mustang in SCCA Solo: STX vs STU vs ESP?

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
C5 Z06 - Just about the best bang for the buck anywhere -

I think it's clear that ESP is still the best place to run a Mustang. Would I rather run a Corvette or a Mustang in STU (should that happen?), it's a no brainer to me on weight and CG alone.

Anyway, you need to bear in mind that this proposal is for a normal NON Z06 C5 Corvette. :)

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
And I'd take a 370Z over a Mustang in the same street tire class too. I've got lots of experience in 370's (including setting them up for C-stock), and Mustangs too (including setting up some that have won some stuff). Last time I drove a Shelby GT back to back with a prepped 370Z, I was faster in the Z. That's on Hoosiers and in a Mustang that has some ST type mods vs. Z that doesn't. You don't want that.

The Z is smaller, lighter and on street tires the "lack of power" isn't a very big deal since you can't get but some of it down anyway.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it's clear that ESP is still the best place to run a Mustang. Would I rather run a Corvette or a Mustang in STU (should that happen?), it's a no brainer to me on weight and CG alone.

Anyway, you need to bear in mind that this proposal is for a normal NON Z06 C5 Corvette. :)

Don't the "standard" C5 and the Z06 have pretty much the same suspension setup, though?

boardkat

n00b
Reaction score
I think it's clear that ESP is still the best place to run a Mustang.
100% agree. but the incremental steps in *SP over ST* (super wide wheels/rcomps, UD/BD, intake manifold/ITBs/fuel, EMS, aero, bodywork, etc) make it significantly more expensive. not that ST* is cheap either (i calculated a 20k investment done right), but at least you aren't stuck with a car that needs to haul wheels/tires to events and diminished value due to cut fenders :p

i was really hoping there'd be a competitive stop on the way to ESP. i just don't see that with this new proposal.

Last edited:

brdollmeyer

Reaction score
ESP may be the best place now, but there's nothing wrong with trying to find a place in Street Touring as well.

Terry, I agree that the C5 would be an overdog for the class, in fact, it seems to invite many other 2 seat cars as well. However, how do you think the STAC & SEB are going to react to "what are you guys smoking"? That automatically sets the mindset of anyone reviewing the merits of your letter.
I'll write a letter as well, if many others do, we will prevail in getting the Mustang in STU with 315's, but, it's going to take some well written, well though out letters with cohesive arguments and facts to back them up.
You're the main protagonist for the Mustang cause in ST & many thanks for that. But please let a week go by & cool off before firing off letters to the STAC/SEB.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
So is the consensus that we *might* be competitive in STU with 315s? It may help the cause if we all ask for the same thing....politely. And no corvettes.

Sam Strano

forum member
Reaction score
Don't the "standard" C5 and the Z06 have pretty much the same suspension setup, though?

In much the same way a V-6 and a GT have the same setups, yes. But the Z06 is lighter, more powerful and has 12% shorter gearing.

I was just pointing out that we aren't talking about Z06's here.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
ESP may be the best place now, but there's nothing wrong with trying to find a place in Street Touring as well.
Agreed. ESP is still more competitive place to race in these cars, but... the extra allowances and (Hoosier) tire budgets needed to be competitive in ESP vs STU are vastly different.

• An "STU built" S197 would and should still stay street legal, and street friendly. 18x10 or 11" wheels, 285/35/18 tires (Hankook RS-3), some headers, good shocks/springs/camber, some bushings, and maybe seats, cold air, tune and exhaust. You could drive this car to work. We ran in STU for many years with M3s and EVOs and STIs and all of them were still great street cars.
  • An "ESP built" S197 would have all of that plus 1000# springs, no emissions equipment, cut fenders and flares, no a/c, and front aero that drags the ground. You don't HAVE to do all of those things to an ESP Mustang, but if you want to win.... you will. These won't stay street cars.
Now I'm not saying it isn't worth the effort to at least TRY and run a Mustang in STU. Because it is, from both the tire costs savings AND the other basic rules in STU make for a much better dual purpose street/autox car. And honestly, THAT is what the majority of Mustang racers want.

DSC_4534-M.jpg

There are less than a dozen S197 owners in the entire USofA that will take a fairly modern Mustang, cut it up, gut all of the convenience items like air/con, rip out the a/c and then 100% trailer their car... all to drive around cones in a parking lot. Hell, I've got two of these cars and I don't want to yank the A/C, emissions, and street use from either. But if you want to WIN in ESP, that's what you have to do.

DSC_2024-M.jpg

But i suspect there could be hundreds if not thousands of S197 people that wold like to run in STU locally or even Nationally, if they had half a chance. And, at the local level, I think they do have a chance with the added tire allowed in STU (285mm max, no wheel maximum). The 265mm tire and the crazy narrow 9" wheel limit in STX was just BRUTAL to these cars. They didn't have a hope of trophying at the National level in STX with those skinny ass wheels and tires on these 3500+ pound cars. Add in the 430 whp power levels the 5.0 cars are capable of in STX and the cars become almost undrivable.

DSC_6074a-M.jpg

But then add 1-2" of wheel width and another 20mm of tire and they aren't half bad. Sure, they still spin the rears in 2nd gear, but it is not like driving around on ICE. And I say all of this from direct experience of doing these exact things, running these cars in these exact classes: STX, STU and ESP.

Sure, a 295 or 315mm tire would make them more competitive in STU, but nobody seriously expected that group of hand wringing old ladies to make that tire allowance at the same time as the STX -> STU jump. It was always going to be a multi-year battle...

Terry, I agree that the C5 would be an overdog for the class, in fact, it seems to invite many other 2 seat cars as well.

Yep, write those letters and stop this C5/350Z overreach.

However, how do you think the STAC & SEB are going to react to "what are you guys smoking"? That automatically sets the mindset of anyone reviewing the merits of your letter.

Heh, it almost doesn't matter what I write anymore. I used to make these long, detailed, fact filled letters. Just like a lot of my posts. But for the SEB? Ignored. Ridiculed. Turned around and thrown in my face. They'd rather use mob logic and "look at the numbers of letters" than spend one second choosing good logic over bad.

After 25 years of dealing with their obtuse rulebook, tortured logic and twisted rulings, I have lost all patience with the SEB. There is definitely some animosity between that group and, well... me and several others that disagree with almost everything they do. Just seeing my name on the online letter already sets them on "auto delete", heh. I could fill my SEB letters with reams of data (used to do that - total waste of time), rainbows and fart pixie dust and they'd still ignore everything and make a bone headed decision in the end. That seems defeatist, and it is - because of their long history of utter ineptitude.

I'll write a letter as well, if many others do, we will prevail in getting the Mustang in STU with 315's, but, it's going to take some well written, well though out letters with cohesive arguments and facts to back them up.
Nope, the arguments almost don't matter. All it just takes is volume and lots and lots of time.

You see, the SEB cannot think for itself. They always blame some committee or "the members" for their bad choices. The only thing they respond to is copious numbers of letters. Hundreds and hundreds of letters. Over the course of many years.

This "S197 to STU" is just the first step in the battle to take what is obviously a VERY popular car (at any HPDE/time trial/track event) and make a proper home for it in Street Touring (the fastest growing category in all of SCCA Solo). These cars came out in 2004, and it is now 2013... and they are finally talking about putting these cars with the other V8 RWD solid axle cars, in STU. Yep, it took nearly 9 years to make this leap. This is Rules Making at the speed of tectonic movement.

This car never had a real shot in any ST class before, and honestly still won't win Nationals after the STU move. BUT, many of us knew this was just an iterative step, and knew that those meat sacks would ignore the obvious need for more tire allowance on these weight handicapped cars (3500-3600 pound cars running the exact same "max tire width" as 2900-3100 pound 2WD cars in STU... MAKES NO SENSE). Of course we asked. Of course many of us put "please add more tire!" in our "please move these cars to STU" letters.

I would wager that it will take... another 2-3 years of poor performances from a multitude of S197 Mustangs in STU at the National level before they would even consider adding a tire modifier to these cars (315mm tire). Why? They are afraid. Afraid of upsetting the "delicate balance of the class"... which, illogically, was just thrown on its head with the "350Z and C5 Corvette to STU" proposal. Afraid of making the logical jump to this: "Well, my oh my! These modern pony cars sure are heavy! They are neither Miatas NOR Civics! And we have a static maximum tire limit in Street Touring? Well, maybe we should modify that on a curb weight basis, and give these obscenely heavier cars +10 or +30mm of tire? "

The above logic is not ever going to happen from an SEB meeting, without an angry mob beating on the castle door with torches. Now if this was a new Miata or other sporty 2 seater, they'd jump through rings of FIRE to get it classed competitively and quickly. Just look at the FR-S/BRZ.

You're the main protagonist for the Mustang cause in ST & many thanks for that. But please let a week go by & cool off before firing off letters to the STAC/SEB.
Heh... yea, I'll still be just as sick of these pinheads in a week, a month, a year. It never changes. They always f*ck these things up and make something that should make sense to a 3rd grader take 5-10 years to "get enough letters" from members they don't ignore. Like how they had a chance to revamp the failing Stock category, and they caved on ALL of the important points. I could list 100s of botched rules change attempts they've made, but we don't have enough time.

Cheers,

Last edited:

brdollmeyer

Reaction score
I’m agreeing with you on the Street Touring Classing Terry. If there was a STB (Beef) class for these cars it would be healthy.

I’m new to this site and haven’t read any of the old threads (I have seen RRAutoX…kind of new there too) but I assume you started the STU push & I’m glad to see you haven’t given up. Just hold the temper…count to ten :)

Clearly this latest decision with the C5 lends credence to your points listed above, but, it’ll get washed out once enough member comment comes in.
BTW, nice touch signing your post with “Cheers”. LOL

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I'm warming up to the idea of STU, actually looking forward to it. 4 more events this year, then moar tire. I sent this in, hope it benefits someone.

In support of the proposal to class Mustangs in STU, thank you. By now you realize how badly this car needs more tire and rim width and its ability to compete in in STX was largely non existent . Even courses that favored the car it was hard to keep pace.

I will ask that you open the tire width to 295 in place of the existing 285. 285 limit’s our platform to either the RS3 or RE11 but by going to 295 the BFG Rival is an option as well. I don’t ask this just for Mustangs, but to open all RWD competitors in STU to 295 and maintain the current unlimited rim width.

I do have a Mustang specific request for an allowance. The 3 link rear suspension in the S197 cars is very well engineered and works quite well at factory ride height but the second the car is lowered, the geometry goes bad quickly and severely limits the ability of the car to put down power. Being that this platform is the only car in STU that still rides on a solid rear axle, it is at a disadvantage against lighter, independently suspended cars. The two things the (‘11 and up) S197 platform has going for it are ample horsepower and the ability to swallow some decent size tires. Since 315s are undoubtedly out of the question, perhaps an allowance for relocation of the axle side lower control arm attachments is reasonable.

Wholesale replacement of the single upper link with a torque arm is legal, but typically requires a diff cover that at the moment is not legal (although that is out for comment) and comes at a cost of approximately $1,000. Simple relocation brackets for the axle side lower control accomplish the same goal of helping the car put down power but require no additional parts, can be installed by just about anybody, and cost right around $100. Also, relocation brackets are very common modification in the Mustang enthusiast world, in an effort to get those types involved and keep them involved it would be nice if they were not thrown in SM. If you are going to match the Mustang with a back seat, against a purpose built sports car like a Corvette, and throw in some lighter, better suspended cars in the mix and throw all of us to the AWD, turbo wolves, at the very least allow the chance to try and harness the power that Ford put in the car.

Thank you for your time.

I've never written a letter asking for anything before, not even to Santa, its sort of a strange thing to do.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I'm warming up to the idea of STU, actually looking forward to it. 4 more events this year, then moar tire. I sent this in, hope it benefits someone.

I've never written a letter asking for anything before, not even to Santa, its sort of a strange thing to do.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the conversation about relocation brackets has come and gone. I was told rather bluntly it wont happen. Something something something "class philosophy" which is VERY ironic considering how common those modifications are for these cars which is the very basis and premise of the whole ST category.

Also, the 4th gen Camaros and Firebirds have been in STU since class hopping was removed from ST and are definitely live axle cars. I would also think they would be interesting STU cars.

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I know the relo brackets had been covered before. The class philosophy argument doesn't hold water. Why can I change the upper, axle side mounting point which is nearly impossible. Wouldn't you rather install a set of hundred dollar brackets in a couple of hours than spend the money and effort going to a torque arm? I don't intend to argue the actual merit of a TA vs a 3 link, but if "make it easy, make it fun" is the mantra the relo brackets fall under "no brainer" along with the diff cover.

As far as the 4th gen F body, I welcome the competition. I think they all are in ESP or power parked at the SuperChevy show. But honestly, that's another crowd where 295mm street tires are pretty common and so they end up excluded anyways unless the tire rule bumps up 10mm. They benefit from relo brackets as well and may be more competive because of it. In reality, if someone goes shopping for a used car to build for STfU and doesn't come back with a vette I would be very surprised.

It should be EASY for a new guy to come in. ST should reflect modified cars that are common, if the philosophy is different than that, I would love to have it explained to me.

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
I know the relo brackets had been covered before. The class philosophy argument doesn't hold water. Why can I change the upper, axle side mounting point which is nearly impossible. Wouldn't you rather install a set of hundred dollar brackets in a couple of hours than spend the money and effort going to a torque arm? I don't intend to argue the actual merit of a TA vs a 3 link, but if "make it easy, make it fun" is the mantra the relo brackets fall under "no brainer" along with the diff cover.

As far as the 4th gen F body, I welcome the competition. I think they all are in ESP or power parked at the SuperChevy show. But honestly, that's another crowd where 295mm street tires are pretty common and so they end up excluded anyways unless the tire rule bumps up 10mm. They benefit from relo brackets as well and may be more competive because of it. In reality, if someone goes shopping for a used car to build for STfU and doesn't come back with a vette I would be very surprised.

It should be EASY for a new guy to come in. ST should reflect modified cars that are common, if the philosophy is different than that, I would love to have it explained to me.

Ehh, it would be hard for me to say one way or the other that if they allowed relocation brackets that I wouldn't buy the Torque Arm setup. It has other advantages outside of the 20% increase in %AS. We don't want to leave out pinion angle control, turning the force of the pinion climbing the ring gear into a downward force at the tires, and my favorite: Making the car easier to drive fast at the limit. If that latter part is true then I'm all on board.

I already had this conversation with Mark on the SEB. He asked me about "what if we had an ST*Pony class, what mods would you think would attract new blood to ST from the pony car crowd?" and this was my list:

1.) Rear Lower Control arms
2.) Rear Lower Control arm relocation brackets for the AXLE side
3.) 315 max tire width, unlimited wheel width
4.) True Coilovers (for the Fox/SN95 guys)
5.) Revised Torque Arm mounting rules to allow SFC connection for TA mounts with stipulations on the size of said mount (pick a common mount such as the MM mount and make it that mount)

I was told:
1.) Maybe
2.) Unlikely, relocating control arm points is taboo, cost to cars that don't have bolt on options, etc
3.) Possible
4.) Nope
5.) Definitely nope

For some odd reason these things are apparently "hard to legislate" and rather than trying to draft up some language for it to satisfy their needs, it was pushed off as being too difficult. I was also told that any of these rules would also carry over to SP so to be careful with what mods I thought were common and that didn't change their opinion any...

At this point I'm not sure there is a large enough push from the Mustang community to get too much more pushed through.

My suggestion: We may not be competitive in STU, but we must build for it anyway. Things are, as Terry said, going to suck for a few years so spend the time building the car up and lets make a solid National level effort across the board from multiple different people and try and develop a sense of community and drag people to STU as much as we can. I doubt many will be coming from ESP down to STU but we can drag some locals from ESP to STU who are on street tires anyway. 285's are a more common square setup and even staggered setup on these cars than anything involving 265's so that is at least a bonus and having no wheel restrictions is ALSO a bonus so STU became a much more attractive location to play, we just need to keep people interested long enough to want to hang around until things get more competitive.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. At one time, the official category purpose for ST was

SCCA National Solo 2002 Rules said:
"To serve as a membership recruitment and retention tool by providing a natural competition outlet for auto enthusiasts using streetable sport sedans equipped with drivetrain and suspension modifications that are beyond those allowed in the Street Prepared category"
That's since been tweaked in an attempt to make ST fit better somewhere between S and SP. But regardless of that, you're assuming that logic will prevail. History appears to suggest otherwise.

Norm

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
"Go ahead and completely redesign the rear suspension but don't move that lower control arm 1 1/2" sheesh I would like to know what other cars even fall under the solid axle allowance that would be affected by this rule change

3rd and 4th gen fbody
fox and sn 95 mustang....that's all I got. Those four platforms plus ours are still outclassed even with relo brackets.

I'll got to STU because stock sucks and ESP = racecar and it will be a lot more fun. I have no illusions about being competitive.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
"Go ahead and completely redesign the rear suspension but don't move that lower control arm 1 1/2" sheesh I would like to know what other cars even fall under the solid axle allowance that would be affected by this rule change

3rd and 4th gen fbody
fox and sn 95 mustang....that's all I got. Those four platforms plus ours are still outclassed even with relo brackets.

I'll got to STU because stock sucks and ESP = racecar and it will be a lot more fun. I have no illusions about being competitive.

Yup I'm with you there...I rather like my radio and AC.

It looks like I'm pretty close to a solid STU effort in my car (other than the weight), I would love to have an experienced (read: better) driver take it out against some good competition and see where it stacks up.

About all that's left that I could do (after a cursory glance at rules)
-seats
-power (headers, lightweight exhaust, intake)
-Watt's link
-torque arm (maybe?)

I've got the other suspension stuff down, and I'll soon have the ability to get some 285's on 11" wide wheels....I'd say I'm pretty close.

To somebody more in tune with the rules than I am- what sort of weight reduction can one do in STn classes and stay legal?

Terry- do you have any nationally competitive STU people down in Dallas? If I brought my car there would you co-drive for evaluation purposes?

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've got the other suspension stuff down, and I'll soon have the ability to get some 285's on 11" wide wheels....I'd say I'm pretty close.

To somebody more in tune with the rules than I am- what sort of weight reduction can one do in STn classes and stay legal?

Terry- do you have any nationally competitive STU people down in Dallas? If I brought my car there would you co-drive for evaluation purposes?
Would I like to co-drive your car in STU? With 285s on 11" wheels? Ohhhhh ...ABSOLUTELY. :thumb2:

DSC_8970-M.jpg

Your Mustang on AST 4150s, 18x11" Forgestars and 285 Hankooks should be mostly prepped for STU. (your 11" wheels are coming back from powder coat tomorrow and shipping Monday - woot!). Once you get after the headers/exhaust, cold air/tune, racing seats, and a harness bar, you will be running out of things to add.

DSC_8097-S.jpg
DSC_8084-S.jpg

Texas Region used to have a robust STU contingent, and we've taken home a gaggle of trophies from Nationals, but they have mostly moved on to other classes or sports. Now it is mostly just "local level" STU competition, if you know what I mean? Well, looks like at the next event there's a fast guy in STU running an EVO X entered. We do have some very fast STX drivers here, so it would be worth running your car in STU and comparing to them in PAX. Mark Sipe's RX8, Brad and Jen Maxcy's 328is (black E36 above), and Chris and Sherrie Ledbetter in another 328is (white E36 above). Well prepped and well driven.

I'm always game for a co-drive in a fun car, and I don't have another track event until NASA Nationals in September. I'm pretty sure we could run in STU without any flak, especially if we said it was an experiment to show data for the proposed new classing. Our region is pretty cool.

Next Texas Region Autocross events:

• Jul 28 - Dallas Raceway Crandall, TX, Solo Event #5
  • Aug 18 - Dallas Raceway Crandall, TX, Solo Event #6
Tell me what number(s) you want and I'll make you some new STU* class letter and matching number decals for either of these two events. I'll even be your tire warmer and run first...

Let's do this.

Last edited:

Whiskey11

Reaction score
Cough*someoneislookingforacodriverfornationals*cough....

Something is in the air around here, sorry. :p

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back