School Me: Such thing as too much traction? Yes.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^which means your converter is too tight, which makes complete sense if you still have the stock converter.

Lupo222

forum member
Reaction score
My self and the OP both had the same results. I ran consistent 13.0s with stock tires, 13.2s with hoosier 28" slicks and 13.1s on 26" MT ET streets. It would go quicker spinning a bit off the line and getting the RPMs up then sticking with the good tires.

Touche! That baffles me. I had an old 98 GT auto and when I went to DRs, IIRC I ran .5 quicker and my 60's went from 2.2s to 2.0s

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
^Me too.:sigh1: Thought when you went DR's, the car would be quicker. Better 60' and quarter mile times. Unless I should have went with some DR's for my everyday wheels? IDK Think the only thing I should do is wait for the weather to cool down and then go out and try again. Then go from there depending on how my times go.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
^Me too.:sigh1: Thought when you went DR's, the car would be quicker. Better 60' and quarter mile times. Unless I should have went with some DR's for my everyday wheels? IDK Think the only thing I should do is wait for the weather to cool down and then go out and try again. Then go from there depending on how my times go.

Running the same height tire (MT 26in) and a Procal tune in my 12 auto I get pretty consistent 1.85-1.90. I stall the car until it almost pushes through the lights and it seems to work well enough on the stock converter. Did you change the tire size in the tune? I know cody doesn't like to unlock options in his tunes, so it may not be an option for you until you ask for it..

I ran at NPR yesterday during the day, same deal. I went 12.477, 12.476, 12.475 all at 113 in three runs. I have a damn bracket car. (Procal, airaid, o/r x, driveshaft, radials). DA was around 2300.

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
Running the same height tire (MT 26in) and a Procal tune in my 12 auto I get pretty consistent 1.85-1.90. I stall the car until it almost pushes through the lights and it seems to work well enough on the stock converter. Did you change the tire size in the tune? I know cody doesn't like to unlock options in his tunes, so it may not be an option for you until you ask for it..

I ran at NPR yesterday during the day, same deal. I went 12.477, 12.476, 12.475 all at 113 in three runs. I have a damn bracket car. (Procal, airaid, o/r x, driveshaft, radials). DA was around 2300.

Procal also adds a bunch of torque down low, so that helps you get out of the hole...

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Procal also adds a bunch of torque down low, so that helps you get out of the hole...

Don't quite know what you think a "bunch" is, but an aftermarket tune should be quite comparable, if not better (evidence from the higher mph trap speed on his best runs). Also, stock gear/converter is almost impossible to get better than a low 1.8, I don't care what tune you have.

Here is a dyno of my car stock vs. procal (3rd gear auto). I went back to the dyno after the intake/or x and didn't pick up ANY power on the frpp tune. I gained 1.5mph and .07 to .10 from the driveshaft.

2emh08i.jpg

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
Procal claims its biggest torque gains right off idle, which is right where you are stalling to. Hence my comment. I never commented on anything else, so I don't know why you are bringing any of that up.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Procal claims its biggest torque gains right off idle, which is right where you are stalling to. Hence my comment. I never commented on anything else, so I don't know why you are bringing any of that up.

You made a declarative statement (which seemed to dismiss my evidence) which was false. I gave you the reasons why. I know how much it gained, I brought it to the dyno. Biggest gain was where the cursor is, around 4400.

BlackDragon

Large Member
Reaction score
You made a declarative statement (which seemed to dismiss my evidence) which was false. I gave you the reasons why. I know how much it gained, I brought it to the dyno. Biggest gain was where the cursor is, around 4400.

Well, I wasn't trying to dismiss anything you said, but agree along with. So I apologize for triggering your defenses. Your dyno doesn't prove or disprove ford's claimed low end torque boost around 1500 rpms. And I only have sotp feel to go by which is why I used the term "bunch" instead of a number. So interpretation would be subjective.

My apologies to the OP, I didn't mean to derail your thread in any way.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score

Ah hey man how's it going?! No Cody's tunes are locked down. I see you're not running cats and have a DS. So I'm sure those helped with your times. Had one on my 07' and would like one on my 12'. A driveshaft would probably be my last legitimate mod to the car. I really want this car to hit 11.9 with what it has now, in the right weather of course.

Oh btw, how about that fan switch link now that I got ya on here?! :stooges:

Isn't tire size in a tune just for speedo calibration??

Yea I'm pretty sure thats all its for. Don't think that would of helped with anything but I'm open to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
In the auto it would also effect shift points. Car shifts at RPM or MPH, whichever comes first. So if you had a shorter tire it could start short shifting.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Ah hey man how's it going?! No Cody's tunes are locked down. I see you're not running cats and have a DS. So I'm sure those helped with your times. Had one on my 07' and would like one on my 12'. A driveshaft would probably be my last legitimate mod to the car. I really want this car to hit 11.9 with what it has now, in the right weather of course.

Oh btw, how about that fan switch link now that I got ya on here?! :stooges:

Yea I'm pretty sure thats all its for. Don't think that would of helped with anything but I'm open to hear anyone else's thoughts.

I wish the o/r x made power, dyno'd the car before/after. NO gain on the frpp tune. Did a KAM reset, cooled the car down, etc. Nothing, which leads me to believe the DS was where the ET/MPH came from.

The fan relay jumper kit I use is here.

http://www.ipatools.com/9036.html One of the larger jumpers works on the 2010-2013. The smaller relay jumper works on the 05-09's. Sorry it took so long!

In the auto it would also effect shift points. Car shifts at RPM or MPH, whichever comes first. So if you had a shorter tire it could start short shifting.

Exactly. I change the setting every time I put the MT's on the car.

Last edited:

SRTthis

Reaction score
To answer the thread question- NO

U need a coverter to launch harder

As to the burnout, 55-60 MPH for 4-5 seconds should be all u need

try again... the true answer to the question

such thing as to much traction?

is yes....

in his case there are some changes to be made to help him out such as gears and coverter... but a converter is matched to things like cam specs gears power band of the car. while yes you can make tweaks in it to tighten on loosen to get it where you need it you loosen it to much to get it to hit hard it will kill you on the top end. if you tighten it to soften the 60foot youll pick up out the back.

take the race car for example... in the fall on slicks at MIR the car will blow the tires off. and this is on a 28x10.50W. sounds like to little traction right? WRONG! the track actually to tight and drags the front of the car back down and unloads the rear tires. can it be fixed? yes... we need to make adjustments in thinks like air pressure to allow the car to hook less to actually go faster.

so the answer to the question is yes there is a such thing as having to much traction... BUT the OP has things he can change that will allow him to over come his issue he has here since things arent set up correctly

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ in a thread like this about a street car, I prefer the KISS principle, you're talking about a race car.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score

I wish the o/r x made power, dyno'd the car before/after. NO gain on the frpp tune. Did a KAM reset, cooled the car down, etc. Nothing, which leads me to believe the DS was where the ET/MPH came from.

The fan relay jumper kit I use is here.

http://www.ipatools.com/9036.html One of the larger jumpers works on the 2010-2013. The smaller relay jumper works on the 05-09's. Sorry it took so long!

Exactly. I change the setting every time I put the MT's on the car.

About the tire size settings I see what your saying. Makes sense actually because if memory serves me correctly the last outing on the street tires I was shifting about 50-60ft before the line. Now with the ET Streets I was shifting damn near on the line. Which was fine with me. I'll try and get with Cody and see if I can twist his arm some about unlocking the revs per mile settings.

ebrow: Really no gains with the O/R X? Hmm..I was sure it was like a 15hp gain when you remove the cats on these cars. Just a guess but I would guess the Ford Racing tune is probably the cause for no gain. But again that's just a guess.

And thanks for the link!!! :thumb2:

try again... the true answer to the question

such thing as to much traction?

is yes....

in his case there are some changes to be made to help him out such as gears and coverter... but a converter is matched to things like cam specs gears power band of the car. while yes you can make tweaks in it to tighten on loosen to get it where you need it you loosen it to much to get it to hit hard it will kill you on the top end. if you tighten it to soften the 60foot youll pick up out the back.

take the race car for example... in the fall on slicks at MIR the car will blow the tires off. and this is on a 28x10.50W. sounds like to little traction right? WRONG! the track actually to tight and drags the front of the car back down and unloads the rear tires. can it be fixed? yes... we need to make adjustments in thinks like air pressure to allow the car to hook less to actually go faster.

so the answer to the question is yes there is a such thing as having to much traction... BUT the OP has things he can change that will allow him to over come his issue he has here since things arent set up correctly

Thank you for that post and providing an example. I'm more of a visual person. Would you be able to tell me what YOU think would be some things to change on my setup to get it to where I want or that may help with the issue I'm having?

Further more after this weekend I'm almost positive that the heat is the majority of what is hurting us out here. I know this is common sense and there's no point in running the car but this past weekend was just ridiculous with the amount of heat and humidity we had. :yuck:

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Huh...wish I would of found DragTimes DA calculator sooner. Think I'll start paying more attention to what others suggest. lol Didn't realize the humidity was so high that night. I know its a little late but just wanted to post it for reference sake.

According to DragTimes it was:
nf689.gif

..and my last run would correct to:
12.287 @ 115.249 MPH

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well I guess we'll agree to disagree as to how much those principles apply.

SRTthis

Reaction score
Thank you for that post and providing an example. I'm more of a visual person. Would you be able to tell me what YOU think would be some things to change on my setup to get it to where I want or that may help with the issue I'm having?

really hard to see in the video...

few questions.
stock converter?
what air pressure?
any videos during the day?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back