SCT X4 Error........

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
At this point, I wish I could jump off the SCT ship and find something else, but I am also a bit stuck, because I am not interested in learning to tune my car myself. I just don't feel like I have the time or patience for that right now. I am perfectly happy with remote tuning (Lito), but I am stuck to what ever device he supports.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
From rep, Lito is the man. I would have just went with him,but he didnt do coyotes. Maybe he does now, I dont know.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
SCT just called me at 6:30, guy remoted into my laptop again and worked his voodoo. Was able to restore a stock file or something and then had me return my car to stock. After this was complete, I started it up and fired immediately (this is with the "stock" tune). All seemed well, so he said go ahead and flash your custom tune, and hung up. So I flashed my Lito tune, car starts just fine, but now I have a CEL with code P0602. Never seen this code before. Going to try to return it to stock and then reapply the Lito tune when I get back home from church. Making progress! (I think...)

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Still getting the check engine code. I have tried all sorts of flashing and going back to stock to no avail. SCT got back to me today via email and asked for the stock file from the device, so I sent it to them. This is their response, in the screen shot attached. I'm beyond frustrated and don't even know what to do at this point.

Keep in mind, I have never had a single problem with the X4 before their software updated it, and messed something up. I have never had this check engine code before, using the same exact tunes provided by Lito. The check engine code occurs even when running their "stock" tune that they "restored".

20200522_160957.jpg

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Still stuck with the CEL. Contacted Lito and he knew nothing of it. Sent me a tune that disabled the CEL for that particular code, but said he's never had to do that before. Seems like just a bandaid to me. I have sent multiple emails to SCT about it and they are just ignoring me at this point.

Am I asking for too much here?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
The VID block is corrupted, and cannot get info from the EEPROM. Only software solution I can think of is take to your local dealer and have them flash to as-build data from stock. Then go home and save the stock time and write Lito’s. The PCM wants evidence of the stock tune before an aftermarket calibration

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
So I would need to go to the dealer, return the car to "Stock" (using whatever SCT gave me), have the dealer flash it, and then load my Lito tune (this should save the new dealer stock tune as the stock file)?

This is just so frustrating, as this is going to cost me, when it is purely SCT's fault.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, just had a thought. Not sure if this makes any sense, as I really don't know a whole lot about this particular area.

The strategy code as read from the X4 tuner is "FPAR0B3". Is it possible that will all the stuff SCT tried with my tuner the strategy code could have changed, and thus, cause issue with the tune? Reason I ask is I have been doing some reading and have found that this could possibly happen when dealers flash cars, so I am wondering if this could have happened with SCT's process.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
So I would need to go to the dealer, return the car to "Stock" (using whatever SCT gave me), have the dealer flash it, and then load my Lito tune (this should save the new dealer stock tune as the stock file)?

This is just so frustrating, as this is going to cost me, when it is purely SCT's fault.

Yeah basically. You don’t even need to return to “stock” since it’s missing. You need the dealer to in a sense “wipe” it. Like they would do on a trade in car with no tuner and no history. You need a clean slate to write tunes over. I’m guessing when you lost your stock fine file, SCT had something similar and loaded it, which isn’t close enough and confusing your PCM. I think the dealer charges about $75 to flash to as-built.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Ok, just had a thought. Not sure if this makes any sense, as I really don't know a whole lot about this particular area.

The strategy code as read from the X4 tuner is "FPAR0B3". Is it possible that will all the stuff SCT tried with my tuner the strategy code could have changed, and thus, cause issue with the tune? Reason I ask is I have been doing some reading and have found that this could possibly happen when dealers flash cars, so I am wondering if this could have happened with SCT's process.

No. Strategy code is one of a list, and is on a sticker on the unit itself. The dealer will also use that sticker to find proper VIN as built data.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah basically. You don’t even need to return to “stock” since it’s missing. You need the dealer to in a sense “wipe” it. Like they would do on a trade in car with no tuner and no history. You need a clean slate to write tunes over. I’m guessing when you lost your stock fine file, SCT had something similar and loaded it, which isn’t close enough and confusing your PCM. I think the dealer charges about $75 to flash to as-built.
How would I make the X4 pull the new stock file? Wouldn't it have to think the car was already stock before it will pull a new stock file? Just trying to figure out what I need to do to get it all working at/near the dealer. No way the car will run on a stock tune.

Thanks....

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Just called my local ford dealer. They want 250 bucks to flash it, and said they'll need two keys, which I don't have. This has snowballed into an absolute nightmare.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
How would I make the X4 pull the new stock file? Wouldn't it have to think the car was already stock before it will pull a new stock file? Just trying to figure out what I need to do to get it all working at/near the dealer. No way the car will run on a stock tune.

Thanks....

Unmarry the tuner before the flash.

And call another dealer. They dont need 2 keys, you're flashing to as-built data. Sounds like they misunderstood as programming for additional keys and PATS.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Called a different dealer, person freaked out when I said "tune", then calmed back down when I said I wanted it returned to stock. Said they charge $123 and require two keys.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You don't need to return it to stock. Use your existing tune/configuration as the 'stock' tune. The tuner doesn't care what the stock tune looks like or if it came from Ford. It just needs 'a' tune to copy.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
You don't need to return it to stock. Use your existing tune/configuration as the 'stock' tune. The tuner doesn't care what the stock tune looks like or if it came from Ford. It just needs 'a' tune to copy.
I guess I don't understand where the code is coming from. The X4 has a file it thinks to be stock, but the code shows up on both the "stock" tune and the Lito tune. So is the code an issue with the tunes, or with the tuner, or with the PCM?

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand where the code is coming from. The X4 has a file it thinks to be stock, but the code shows up on both the "stock" tune and the Lito tune. So is the code an issue with the tunes, or with the tuner, or with the PCM?
Code is with the PCM only. EEPROM error, corruption on the ROM. We suggested a Ford factory flash to try and remedy. Has nothing to do with the SCT X4, and likely cannot be fixed using an X4. You'll need VCM / IDS

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back