SCT X4 Error........

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
So I got a new tune revision from Lito yesterday, plugged my tuner into my laptop, launch the SCT Device Updater software. It prompts me for an update to the Device Updater software, so I allow it. The update finishes and I click "Load Custom Tune" and I immediately notice that I don't see any of my previous tunes on the right. I select the new tune to add, click "Program" and get the following error: "Loading Custom Tune Failed (SF ERROR)".

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with this thing? This is the first time I have ever had a problem with it over the past 4 or so years. Used it many times for datalogging and tuning two different cars.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I got a new tune revision from Lito yesterday, plugged my tuner into my laptop, launch the SCT Device Updater software. It prompts me for an update to the Device Updater software, so I allow it. The update finishes and I click "Load Custom Tune" and I immediately notice that I don't see any of my previous tunes on the right. I select the new tune to add, click "Program" and get the following error: "Loading Custom Tune Failed (SF ERROR)".

Anyone have any idea what's wrong with this thing? This is the first time I have ever had a problem with it over the past 4 or so years. Used it many times for datalogging and tuning two different cars.

Have you tried rebooting your PC? Is it possible to reinstall the older version of the program?

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep happened to me, had to send it to sct and pay hundred dollars for whatever it is they to to it. It's a software glitch. When I got it back it was blank, so sct just remote access my laptop reinstalled some stuff and it seemed like a mess. I still don't have all my previous tune files and such.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting your PC? Is it possible to reinstall the older version of the program?
I actually just tried using my work desktop, which had an older version of "Device Updater" on it - same error. Just rebooted laptop and tried again. Same error.

Yep happened to me, had to send it to sct and pay hundred dollars for whatever it is they to to it. It's a software glitch. When I got it back it was blank, so sct just remote access my laptop reinstalled some stuff and it seemed like a mess. I still don't have all my previous tune files and such.
That's what I've seen online so far. This is ridiculous.

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oh it definitely fking sucks! Took like a week for shipping there and back. Lost my stock tune, I had mostly everything else in emails. Sct said they reloaded stuff back on but I don't visualize see it anywhere. Hope you have a better experience than I did.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
Just walked out to my car and plugged it in to see if I could see the tunes on the tuner. Get the same "DEVICE COMM ERROR" that I see when plugged into my laptop. (This error is in addition to the "SF ERROR", forgot to put that in my OP.)

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes that for sure will have to be sent back to Sct for a reprogram/reflash.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with an X3 and managed to get an older firmware file to upload, not sure if that is even a possibility with the X4. Even then, I have one X3 that I use for tuning my car and use a locked spare that I have for datalogging as my older one would not update to use livelink version II without having to be sent in to SCT for a couple hundred dollars in "Updates"

With all the lawsuits and what not, I will not allow any updates from SCT on the software I have on my computer or to my devices as I suspect that some of the updates are to track who has what turned off in their tunes or to disable certain features to prevent future legal issues for them. All thanks to the rollin' coal crowd.

MrAwesome987

forum member
Reaction score
I searched the web and couldn't find anyone with the standalone firmware file for the X4. If anyone happens to have one let me know...

I did an online chat with SCT and after a few minutes the guy told me it couldn't be resolved over chat, I'd have to call in and let them remote into my laptop or something.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with an X3 and managed to get an older firmware file to upload, not sure if that is even a possibility with the X4. Even then, I have one X3 that I use for tuning my car and use a locked spare that I have for datalogging as my older one would not update to use livelink version II without having to be sent in to SCT for a couple hundred dollars in "Updates"

With all the lawsuits and what not, I will not allow any updates from SCT on the software I have on my computer or to my devices as I suspect that some of the updates are to track who has what turned off in their tunes or to disable certain features to prevent future legal issues for them. All thanks to the rollin' coal crowd.

Lawsuits? What's the story with that?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have read several threads of people having features turned off when updating SCT devices. Some people using the race tuner complaining the software is almost useless after mandatory updates. No longer having access to fuel and timing maps and not being able to turn off the O2 sensors. The EPA came down on SCT and one by one the other tuner providers will follow sute.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I have read several threads of people having features turned off when updating SCT devices. Some people using the race tuner complaining the software is almost useless after mandatory updates. No longer having access to fuel and timing maps and not being able to turn off the O2 sensors. The EPA came down on SCT and one by one the other tuner providers will follow sute.

I have the latest version SCT PRP and x4 updates, and have full access. I can turn off whatever I want. I purchased the software after the suit was settled.

It is now the end user's responsibility to comply with emissions regulations.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
That is awesome. I have wanted to learn to use that software on my own vehicle for several years. Did you have to jump through any hoops to have full access?

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
That is awesome. I have wanted to learn to use that software on my own vehicle for several years. Did you have to jump through any hoops to have full access?
You have to sign an EULA (electronically). You should read this EULA as most never do.
You have to take an online emissions course. Then complete a short test and score 80% or better. Takes about a half hour.
Once those are complete, you can download software and activate the usb dongle. And that is it. I have full access.

At one point in all this, had to fill out a questionier about your intended use of the software. The answers to these questions may limit access sct grants you. I told them my intent is to be emission legal. SCT even added the crate_6 strategy to my software.

So be sure you give SCT the correct TearTag/PCM code

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on how it works. I have read a few very discouraging tails of wow. I will look into it for my own use. :beer:

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
One thing I've learnt (thankfully not the hard way) is not to update the device if it was working perfectly when you first uploaded your tune. The other is to back up all your tuning files (including the original stock tune) onto your hard drive. That way you won't be up Shit Creek without a paddle if your handheld tuner decides to play hardball.

radiodelete

Reaction score
Hello all. So with "all" the above said, what are the options for me in that I haven't purchased anything to tune with yet. The post about the Pro Racer not being able to add/subtract fuel is a problem . I just found the car and doing the homework for some mild engine mods but if any or all of the newest software doesn't allow full control to include not being able to save the stock map I'm going to have to rethink.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all. So with "all" the above said, what are the options for me in that I haven't purchased anything to tune with yet. The post about the Pro Racer not being able to add/subtract fuel is a problem . I just found the car and doing the homework for some mild engine mods but if any or all of the newest software doesn't allow full control to include not being able to save the stock map I'm going to have to rethink.
Not sure what you mean by Proracer not being able to tune fuel.
I have FULL access to everything you could possibly need to change, and a shitload of settings that never ever need to be touched.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back