Selecting the Right Gear Ratio - Need Help 5.0 A6

Sigma6

Reaction score
IMHO! Unless your running a F/I application such as turbo, s/c or nitrous? your not really going to notice much of a difference by upgrading to 3:55 gears when running larger diameter 20" wheels/tires and especially when running an auto trans. For your particular application, upgrading to 4:10 gears will provide the much better off the line performance over 3:55's.. But if your more concerned with highway mileage during road trips? then you may want to consider 3:73's instead, providing of course on how often you take road trips lol. If having more fun around the street is a higher priority over highway mileage? then go 4:10's.. As for loosing 1/4 time? you would actually gain your 1/4 time with 4:10's over 3:55's.. However, being as you don't track or road race, it's pretty much a non factor which doesn't really matter, to begin with anyhow. As mentioned, it all comes down on what you consider is most important. If it's off the line performance? go 4:10's. If your preference on the other hand is seeking a balance between performance/off the line and highway driving? then I'd strongly consider upgrading to 3:73's over 4:10's which IMO would provide the best of both worlds. Anyhow, just my opinion :shrug:

That seems to be the consensus with the 05-10 models but this would be the first I’ve read /been told with the 11-14 autos. I am sorta all over this place in terms of what’s good vs overstated. I know 3.31 isn’t worth the cost and 4.10 are too steep but this is at least forward process. :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
1st gear is extremely low on the 6r80...( 4 something). Your 275-35-20 tires only have a 3.79" sidewall. 5th gear on a 6r80 is .98:1 so not quite 1:1 ratio.
You sure about that?

I keep finding 4.17 / 2.34 / 1.52 / 1.14 / 0.87 / 0.69 being the gear ratios for the 6R80. Even the 6R60 is supposed to be using those ratios.

Norm

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You sure about that?

I keep finding 4.17 / 2.34 / 1.52 / 1.14 / 0.87 / 0.69 being the gear ratios for the 6R80. Even the 6R60 is supposed to be using those ratios.

Norm
Senior moment..again. You are correct.

Sigma6

Reaction score
You sure about that?

Norm
Correct. It’s they 1st gear ratio as to why I don’t wanna go 4.1 or 3.73

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Anything over a 3.55 is a complete waste and way too much gear. I would actually skip the gear and go with a converter. I ran low 11's N/A with my 3.15's.

This is from personal experience with my 2011. Keep in mind many in this thread have no experience and they're just throwing out numbers. Not good.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
This is from personal experience with my 2011. Keep in mind many in this thread have no experience and they're just throwing out numbers. Not good.
Not good if the person putting the numbers up simply reads them off of some internet link with no real understanding of how to use them or how to relate changes in gearing to actual driving without having to personally make and drive-test each and every one of them. Yeah, I'll give you that much.

Just don't assume that means everybody. Not even everybody who isn't a drag racer.

At least with the automatic you do have a torque converter option in most cases, and that did cross my mind earlier. One of the things I don't know there, is what's available for a street driven car that retains the lockup feature.

Norm

Last edited:

MjlSRQ

Reaction score
Hi All -

Probably should have joined awhile ago. Been pretty content reading rather than posting til now when I’m on the fence. Looking for some input from user who have a similar setup and/or Auto.

I got a 2013 GT Convertible that I mainly putz around in. Currently has the 6R80 and 3.15 gears. Running 275/35/20 tires (27.6 diameter). Got it lowered 1.5”, has relocation brackets and lower control arms, panhard bar.. etc.

I am debating a gear swap to 3.55. Why? Just because I’m looking for a few more grins and fun around the street when i am out. It’s a weekend car, I do take some road trips so I’m highway driving it too. But no track or road racing.

Anyone gone up to 3.55s or has any input? Love to hear. I know I am probably loosing in the 1/4 time but that doesn’t matter. How’s off the line performance, am I going to roast 1st gear with 3.55??

I have a 14 Roush GT Convertible Stage 2 w/auto. I changed from 3.15 "comfort gear" to the 3.55s and its better but a year later I am looking to move up to 4.10s. The JMS pedalmax was the best mod I ever did for the car (I have the Ford PMS & CAI with GT 500 Cat back for the tune)

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
That seems to be the consensus with the 05-10 models but this would be the first I’ve read /been told with the 11-14 autos. I am sorta all over this place in terms of what’s good vs overstated. I know 3.31 isn’t worth the cost and 4.10 are too steep but this is at least forward process. :)
Your absolutely right! I'm in the consensus with the 05-10 models as an owner. Therefore, I stand corrected regarding the 11-14 autos. At any rate, from my own experience, I first upgraded from stock 3:55 gears to 4:10 but eventually went back to stock 3:55's as there was just way too much torque off the line, always spinning tire for which 1st gear was pretty much useless. Being that I mostly do highway driving and don't drag race nor take my car to the track, 3:55 gears are more than good enough with a supercharged application. That being said, I agree with the other posters who know from personal experience with the 11-14 autos that going above 3:55-3:73 gears is considered as overkill.

Sigma6

Reaction score
I have a 14 Roush GT Convertible Stage 2 w/auto. I changed from 3.15 "comfort gear" to the 3.55s and its better but a year later I am looking to move up to 4.10s. The JMS pedalmax was the best mod I ever did for the car (I have the Ford PMS & CAI with GT 500 Cat back for the tune)

@MjlSRQ. How’d you like it.... how’d it handled from a stop/start standpoint? Any issues roasting the tires? How was highway driving (rpms etc etc) Can you fee a difference over 3.15? I’d appreciate some input from some as you have a 14 Auto GT :)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Your absolutely right! I'm in the consensus with the 05-10 models as an owner. Therefore, I stand corrected regarding the 11-14 autos. At any rate, from my own experience, I first upgraded from stock 3:55 gears to 4:10 but eventually went back to stock 3:55's as there was just way too much torque off the line, always spinning tire for which 1st gear was pretty much useless. Being that I mostly do highway driving and don't drag race nor take my car to the track, 3:55 gears are more than good enough with a supercharged application. That being said, I agree with the other posters who know from personal experience with the 11-14 autos that going above 3:55-3:73 gears is considered as overkill.

On a similar note, my 2010 auto comes with a 3.31 rear gear. But my 2nd gear is 14% lower than 2nd gear in your manual. My 3rd gear is 16.5% lower than 3rd gear in your manual. In 4th, we are both 1:1 ratio. You would require a 3.73 rear gear to equal my 3.31 for 2nd gear. You would require a 3.90 rear gear..to equal my 3.31 for 3rd gear. That's why I left the oem 3.31 rear gear alone. Where I lose it is in 4th gear. Any 05-10 manual with a 3.55 /3.73 /3.90/4.10 is a lot quicker in 4th gear.

With my small blower + LT's and 62mm tb + 94 tune, it's all I can safely handle (305 mpss rears). As is, it won't stay straight at the top end of 2nd gear..stupid fast by my meager standard.

Auto's and a PD blower can be a handful. Mash the gas, it drops down gears, blower on, instant boost, then hang on for the ride.
Sri for OT for the OP.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
This is good information. Swaying to leave it alone at this point. Thanks
Another possible option..is to have it tuned for 91/93 octane. If it's on the oem stock tune, they have left a lot on the table. If you wanted more, LT's plus a 91/93 tune would be more than an eye opener. I'm biased though... I view folks who do these rear end gear swaps as a band aid solution for lack of tq/hp..esp low end tq. I added ceramic coated jba LT's..and hi flow catted H..and a new 94 tune...and it was a jaw dropper. The difference was blatantly obvious.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I view folks who do these rear end gear swaps as a band aid solution for lack of tq/hp..esp low end tq.
Or maybe you dont have enough hp to be fast enough to swap gearing. 3.15's are junk, 3.31's are what most sub 10 second cars run. Some sub 9 sec cars go the other way 2.73 gears. Its all about the combo and going with what works and has been proven to work. A street car id run 4.10's all day.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back