so, kb bap or gt500 fuel pumps?

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so, do I plug the extra cash down to buy a gt500 fuel pump setup, or just buy kb bap to go along with my 3.6 to 3.4 pulley change? any opinion and advice is strongly encouraged...please..thx..tj

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO anything under 500 rwhp a BAP will work just fine. If you want to go beyond that, I'd look into the pumps.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
IMO anything under 500 rwhp a BAP will work just fine. If you want to go beyond that, I'd look into the pumps.
I think I disagree a little...

I'd rather have the dual pumps without BAP over ~450 but under 650. I'd rather keep 2 pumps operating as designed rather than one pump pushed harder. Not calling into question KB's claims (in fact I have dual BAP on my list shortly for my setup) - just a function of Engineering rules of thumb:

a. KISS
b. "more is better, so way too much oughta be just right"
c. within reason, better to have 2 parts operating in parallel at 50% than one part operating at 100% (obviously there are exceptions, weight, power consumption, cost, etc... that's why they call them "rules of thumb").

So, dual pumps with upgraded wiring to prevent resistance loss voltage drop first then BAP (dual with the GT500 - but at that point you are making boatloads of power).

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd do the dual pumps too. In fact that is what I am going to do.

GT4Dino

Whimple Whomper
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with Cekim; the gt500 pumps are the way to go. If you ever rebuild your bottom end for more power, you can add the dual BAP setup to keep up with the fuel demands of greater hp. FYI, I just had to add the dual BAP's to my gt500 pumps and I'm still under 600rwhp.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree the dual pumps may be 'better' but the fact remains I have not heard of a single issue with the BAP under 500 rwhp. So it does put it into perspective IMO if the cost is justified for someone in the 450'ish range.

If the pumps were a $100, then no biggie, but they are pricey.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree the dual pumps may be 'better' but the fact remains I have not heard of a single issue with the BAP under 500 rwhp.
Really? I can't recall specifics, but the phrase "fried BAP" has been uttered once or twice somewhere around here... maybe it was over 500?

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Really? I can't recall specifics, but the phrase "fried BAP" has been uttered once or twice somewhere around here... maybe it was over 500?

I have never seen a fried BAP as of yet. I have thought twice Ive had a fualty BAP, and been proven wrong both times by Ken at KB. I have a BAP on every car I own. It will all come down to prefence,but I do have several cars at 500 rwhp with a stock pump and a BAP. I would suggest going to the KB website and look at all the testing they have done on fuel systems. Jim aint no slouch at fluid flow numbers.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I have never heard of it with 500 or less. They are not cheap and there's no evidence that I know that suggest you 'need' them under 500 rwhp range. They have been tried and proven in that range for not only the S197 but for many many years in the mustang world. I have them so I'm not 'against' them, it's just I don't want people thinking they 'have' to have them cause they don't. I didn't put them on my car until I passed the 550 rwhp mark.

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
thx guys...remember background on me..never going to see a race track...the 3.4 pulley is the smallest pulley I will use..I am only looking for the 450 rwhp mark or thereabouts...by the sounds I can save $400 by going with a kb bap... which I can use towards replacing my tc with a pi multidisk as I believe my stock one may be slipping a bit..so I know where I can get the kb bap for 219 shipped...do any of our vendors have it for equal deal..I'd rather support them...thx again every1...tj

gloryboy

Reaction score
thx guys...remember background on me..never going to see a race track...the 3.4 pulley is the smallest pulley I will use..I am only looking for the 450 rwhp mark or thereabouts...by the sounds I can save $400 by going with a kb bap... which I can use towards replacing my tc with a pi multidisk as I believe my stock one may be slipping a bit..so I know where I can get the kb bap for 219 shipped...do any of our vendors have it for equal deal..I'd rather support them...thx again every1...tj

A bap will be more than sufficient for your app.. I'm running one w/ a 3.2 pulley and have no fuel issues. I would advise doing the wire upgrade (10ga) and wiring it to be on all the time (not boost activated)....

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

TJ, I been running with thee BAP for over a year with no issues. If you decide to go with the BAP is not that difficult to install. Let me know if you need help.

Ramon

GTmike

forum member
Reaction score
Hi folks!...
New to Forum....really enjoying all the tech talk. Great folks here...Chevy killer ...I met you at Irwindale a few months back..Great car. Was wondering if anyone is runnin the Ford GT pump kit. Looks to be almost half price of the GT500 pumps but maybe a more complcated install? Thanks for any input.......

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TJ, I been running with thee BAP for over a year with no issues. If you decide to go with the BAP is not that difficult to install. Let me know if you need help.

Ramon

thx Ramon, I might take you up on that....thanks allot...

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi folks!...
New to Forum....really enjoying all the tech talk. Great folks here...Chevy killer ...I met you at Irwindale a few months back..Great car. Was wondering if anyone is runnin the Ford GT pump kit. Looks to be almost half price of the GT500 pumps but maybe a more complcated install? Thanks for any input.......

Welcome to the site. Don't know the answer to your question, but Kevin and Josh at PMP probably can answer it for you and give you a killer deal on which ever route you decid to go.

Back