So why don't 10in wide square setups work?

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
I ran a square setup of 18x9.5" wheels and 275/40/18 tires for awhile. Eventually went back to 255/45/18 up front because of the tramlining with 275 width tires. Also changed the rears to 295/45/18 due to the height of the 255 tires.

Are any of you with wide front tires experiencing tramlining? Our roads are rutted from studded tires and the wide tires wanted to grab the ruts. It was a constant struggle to keep the car between the lines on the interstate.

I am experiencing that with the factory 19" x 8.5" with the pirelli pzero's. And it is not a gentle pull. It is an all out, "You are now going this way"...

With our roadways getting worse and worse... I changed my Tahoe from 20" rims back to the factory 17" to solve that problem for the wife.

But for Pepper. I do not care. I would rather have the tire/wheel package I want under the car than allow my focus to go to the ruts in the road. The way I see it... The rutted roads are mostly highway. It is not like I need the extra contact patch for that. But I do for the weekends and I plan on taking advantage of living 20 minutes from Pacific Raceway...

Plan is to go to 19"x9.5" GT500 AM matte black wheels and hunt for a tire that works all season.

I am just shy of 7000 miles as of last night with Pepper (Brought her home Nov 15th ish 2013) in 4.5 months of driving. So tires will be on the need list by winter again...

BTW... I live in Puget Sound. I am on I-5, 405, 167, 18, 16, 516, 99, 90 and so on ... Every week.

Last edited:

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
19" gt500's are horrible fyi. 35lbs...

Total noob here for weight. I get that that creates more mass so to speak, hurting power. But is that not similar to most other knock off rims (Or are you speaking to the factory GT500 wheels)? 27-35lbs.?

Does it make an honest measurable difference for day to day driving? As this stang does 95% of the time?

And thank you!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
In day to day street driving you'll just step into the throttle a little deeper. I sincerely doubt you'd notice by how much.

If you compare 4 wheels at 35 lbs vs some pretty light Forgestars there's maybe 50 total lbs difference in the wheels. That much extra weight at the wheels corresponds to something like 70 or 80 lbs extra weight, or roughly 0.070 - 0.080 second longer ET at the drag strip. Enough to lose by, but not really enough to feel via butt-dyno even there.

If you were to run the 35 lb wheels at an autocross and swap to the lightweight wheels between runs, you might notice that with the lighter wheels it's easier to get wheelspin on turn exit. If you're SOTP-sensitive even for an autocrosser.

Norm

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
So my Pirelli Corsa's are starting to bubble along the sidewall so it is time for new tires. Since I want to go with a square setup I would need some new wheels up front. If I am understanding offset correctly and want to copy the way RTR wheels sit in the wheel wells I would need a +40 offset.

RTR wheels are 19x9.5 and have a +33 offset and the forgestar cf10's I want are 19x10. So since I am going up an extra half inch in width I would need to go higher by 6.35mm so I would have to add the 6.35 to the 33 and get 39.35 (let's say 40 just to be safe), is that correct?

Also, the +40 offset would clear the Brembo brakes, correct? My problem is that they only offer the 10" wheels in deep concave and idk if they will clear with the Brembo brakes. I know of one person with a Boss and deep concave wheels on the front.

Also, I am thinking of getting the MPSS tires in 285/35 which have a measured tire width if 10" so they should fit without problems on a 10" wheel if I am understanding everything correctly.

Jucostud

booooost'd
Reaction score
Yes vorshlag runs 42 on the f14 and I think 43 on the d spec wheels. Their 18x11's also clear brembos, but they won't release the offset

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I use a 43 all around different wheel but the tire should sit in the same spot.

jonthewick

Reaction score
What modifications need to be done to fit the 315s all around on 18x10 rims, the ones I'm looking at have a +30mm offset. Will I have to have the fenders rolled? Also any issues if I drop the car 1in? My Front brakes are the ones that came stock on the 2012 mustang GT. Thanks for the help.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
What modifications need to be done to fit the 315s all around on 18x10 rims, the ones I'm looking at have a +30mm offset. Will I have to have the fenders rolled? Also any issues if I drop the car 1in? My Front brakes are the ones that came stock on the 2012 mustang GT. Thanks for the help.

That offset will stick out from the rear fender.

And I do not recommend a 315 on a 10" wheel. The 11" is barely adequate for a 315 and they really work best on a 12". The largest tire I recommend for a 10" wheel is a 295.

jonthewick

Reaction score
Well then are there any modifications needed to run a 295 on a 18x10" wheel with a +30mm offset with a 1" drop? Wheel spacers, rolled fenders etc?

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well then are there any modifications needed to run a 295 on a 18x10" wheel with a +30mm offset with a 1" drop? Wheel spacers, rolled fenders etc?

Yep, don't lower the rear so the tire won't hit the fender lip, or install flares on the rear.

Seriously, 30et is not enough to clear the rear fenders. There might be some combo of a Watts, pulled fenders, too-stiff rear springs, skinny tires, and not lowering that will make it work. But there are so many compromises that I don't even try it with that wheel. I've seen other wheels with similar offsets, and the issues that come with them, and I avoid them.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back