Steeda tuning request form...CAI not listed, what to do?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Doug from Bama was da man when I had a 5.0 Explorer almost 20 years ago.

I have the Brenspeed tunes on my car. Only engine "mods" are mufflers (for tone) and a K&N panel filter inside an opened-up stock airbox. Car had 30K miles on it at the install, 55K on it now. With Brenspeed's tune, it has always pinged on the spec'd fuel... 87, 89, 91, so have to run the grade above the spec (currently running 91 with the 89 tune). Followed up with Brenspeed, and they said there must be something wrong with my car. Ah, no.
I'll be getting a Lito tune. Shouldn't be necessary on what it essentially a stock engine, but...

For the engine mods you have, there shouldn't be any pinging issues at all even on an 89 octane tune. IMO, if it's not an octane related issue then it's most definitely spark/timing related. As for Brenspeed, I totally agree concerning their lack of customer support. When Brenspeed first started out, it was Brent himself who provided customer support and ran the tuning dept as a one-man operation just as Doug had with Bamachips by communicating directly with his customers via e-mail and also by phone and did so by always treating them as valued customers with both class and respect.

Unfortunately ever since Brenspeed became a household name, they've turned away from what made it all possible in order to become the household name in which they're known for today by putting their customers first. Since then it's been all about profit first along with enjoying their status as media celebrities. As a result, you end up getting somebody in their marketing/sales dept who could honestly give 2 shits about providing actual customer service as though you're just an inconvenience to them lol. Anyhow getting back to what Brenspeed said about your pinging issues, as I mentioned earlier, it's either an octane related issue with the 89 oct fuel itself in which you were using or most definitely tune related concerning spark/timing. Therefore if Brenspeed refuses to acknowledge that by offering a tune revision for you? I don't blame you one bit for switching over to Lito and then saying "fuck you" to Brenspeed. At any rate, I continue to use their 91 octane tune only because there hasn't been any tune related issues nor do I have the ability to datalog due to not owning a laptop, otherwise, I would've made the switch to Lito, VMP or Lund years ago. As for "Doug" formally of Bamachips, no question about it. He was definitely indeed da man :waytogo:

Last edited:

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
It's unbelievable this thread has dragged on as long as it has...

But for you Steeda haters, I call BS. They're an awesome company to deal with and make top quality products, including their tunes. I've had them in 3 different Stangs w/nary a problem. They produced considerably stronger power and were incredibly reliable. I NEVER had an issue w/a Steeda tune, unlike any of the other companies I bought canned tunes or dyno tunes from.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ill add to this thread just to keep it going lol.

I wont buy from Steeda because of their customer service. I bought a tri ax secondhand from I think Tj on here a few years ago. It came with the handle for steeda specific shift knobs so I called them to buy one for a handle for the stock shift knob. I had to talk to 2 guys and both treated me like I was stupid.

I bought my Brisk racing plugs from them before American Muscle started carrying them and they took forever to send them even though theyre on the east coast of Florida like 3 hours away... I didnt get them for like a week and I needed them asap.

But the worst was when another member (I dont remember if it was here or not) asked for feedback on the tri ax so I told the op that I have one in my 07 and my buddys 04 gt and both were notchy. One of the reps had a hissy fit that I said they were notchy, I mean come on.

KK14GTCS

Reaction score
I have a 14' GTCS added Steeda CAI, BBK long tubes, and O/R X-pipe. Took it to a local dyno tune shop and was very impressed with the results. Not sure what it was at stock before my mods, but I was happy with 414 RWHP and 395 RWTQ. It did cost me a bit but I always go buy the rule "if you want to play, you have to pay".... Not sure I'll add to it, but I am pretty content with it for now.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt even notice this thread was still going.
I ended up with jlt 3 and the 93oc steeda tune and it really woke the car up.
I realize I didnt need a new cai but like the looks of the jlt and needed a new filter anyway and this being my first mustang I wanted to start at square 1 with the cai I chose and not previous owners.
All I know is throttle response is 100x better, shifts firmer, and just feels like a whole different class of car with the tune

Once I get my trans pan off to change solenoid pack,filter,fluid.... Ill then be putting in my longtubes, O/R H , and catback..... might do underdrive pulleys and 410s and be done for a while but when I get there I will be looking at other tuner options, right now the steeda tune seems fine and really improved the fun factor and driveability.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I didnt even notice this thread was still going.
I ended up with jlt 3 and the 93oc steeda tune and it really woke the car up.
I realize I didnt need a new cai but like the looks of the jlt and needed a new filter anyway and this being my first mustang I wanted to start at square 1 with the cai I chose and not previous owners.
All I know is throttle response is 100x better, shifts firmer, and just feels like a whole different class of car with the tune

Once I get my trans pan off to change solenoid pack,filter,fluid.... Ill then be putting in my longtubes, O/R H , and catback..... might do underdrive pulleys and 410s and be done for a while but when I get there I will be looking at other tuner options, right now the steeda tune seems fine and really improved the fun factor and driveability.
Glad to see you're happy with the car. So much fun to drive. I may not have the fastest car around but I enjoy every minute of driving it!

tabstang

Reaction score
Better yet, shop until you find a nice one someone else has beefed up. Most people baby their hot rods. I've bought 3 this way - 2 of them I paid less than the cost of hp parts alone. Oh well too late you already bought the car. Just stay on Craigslist and find all the goodies people like me will sell. Like the roush m90 or Whipple 2.3 I'll sell someday - hard to let go of those jewels!

tabstang

Reaction score
Highly recommend red line atf. Totally changed the feel of my 3650

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Imo buying a car like ours that is already modded is a double edged sword. Youre buying the mods and however the idiot po drove the car before you. People mod them to make them faster and so they drive them harder. But usually you do not get out what you put into modding one so you can usually get a modded one for less than a bone stock mustang.

zacharyevans43

Reaction score
I wholeheartedly agree with you that my garbage
You guys are full of it. What do you mean you can't tune for a no-tune CAI? That's garbage. This would make me run away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back