Steeda tuning request form...CAI not listed, what to do?

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Just got my sct x4 from steeda, Im trying to fill out for my first tune but ran into a couple head scratchers that I just want to clarify before putting tune on car that isnt right.

Previous owner put Roush CAI on this car but its not an option on the tuning request list
This is the CAI i have.....
https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-cai-2010gt.html

Since its not on the list do I just choose "stock"?
If so I guess I will need to buy a CAI on the list to truly benefit from an aftermarket CAI?

Heres the options....
Stock
Steeda
BBK
C&L
JLT
K&N
Airaid

Also, I have stock exhaust right now but previous owner deleted the mufflers. This also isnt on the list- Is that any concern at all or nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Order your tune from VMP or Lund and you won't have to worry about whether or not you got the 'right' canned tune.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Technically all CAIs flow slightly different, those are CAIs Steeda has tuned for before on cars and has files for them. Roush at higher RPMs am sure will flow more than stock box, I would call them and ask what to check off. They may tell you Airaid flows close enough and check that off. As am sure for the most part they flow close enough. I can't see a real difference between K&N and Airaid as K&N owns them.

Order your tune from VMP or Lund and you won't have to worry about whether or not you got the 'right' canned tune.

I agree!

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
I just got the car and nowhere near where i want to be modwise so im running steeda tunes untill i get all my mods done.
I cant pay $200 everytime i add something

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Technically all CAIs flow slightly different, those are CAIs Steeda has tuned for before on cars and has files for them. Roush at higher RPMs am sure will flow more than stock box, I would call them and ask what to check off. They may tell you Airaid flows close enough and check that off. As am sure for the most part they flow close enough. I can't see a real difference between K&N and Airaid as K&N owns them.

I agree!

Perhaps I may have misinterpreted your post, however, if I didn't? K&N is not the parent company of Airaid, as K&N and Airaid are completely different and separate companies from one another. Anyhow just saying!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Perhaps I may have misinterpreted your post, however, if I didn't? K&N is not the parent company of Airaid, as K&N and Airaid are completely different and separate companies from one another. Anyhow just saying!

K&N bought Airaid back in 2015 I believe it was, K&N also owns AEM intakes also. I think they bought them back around 2010. If you see any videos of how filters are made you will see all 3 companies at the K&N production facility.

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
My updated tunes from Lund were free and that's after paying for a supercharger tune.

46addict

Reaction score
Just got my sct x4 from steeda, Im trying to fill out for my first tune but ran into a couple head scratchers that I just want to clarify before putting tune on car that isnt right.

Previous owner put Roush CAI on this car but its not an option on the tuning request list
This is the CAI i have.....
https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-cai-2010gt.html

Since its not on the list do I just choose "stock"?
If so I guess I will need to buy a CAI on the list to truly benefit from an aftermarket CAI?
I clicked the link and saw that is a no tune required intake. So checking off stock will be fine. And there should be no need to account for mufflers on an NA bolt-on setup. I would wait until you have compiled some bigger mods, install them all at once and tune for the first round of mods.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
So how much hp am I leaving on the table by not having a tune required cai?

I have LT headers im going to install once I get my offroad H and catback.
Then im going to have gears installed.

After that im either going to go with hotrod cams and intake or stop and save up for a v3 sci low boost setup.

Either route I go.... looks like I need a new CAI, any suggestions on best bang for the buck tune required CAI?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Stock air intake flows tons of air. Way more than you need until you get to forced induction. Any improvements in HP will be due to the tune, not the CAI.

Also be aware you introduce a lot of undesirable factors when slapping on an aftermarket CAI which may or may not be fixed with whatever tune you happen to run. The tune is the key. I cannot stress this enough as you seem to be all hung up on the CAI and almost no consideration given to your tune. You can have the best CAI in the world but just slapping on a generic, mediocre tune will result in generic, mediocre performance.

Forget about the CAI and go back to researching tunes. You aren't there yet.

46addict

Reaction score
So how much hp am I leaving on the table by not having a tune required cai?

I have LT headers im going to install once I get my offroad H and catback.
Then im going to have gears installed.

After that im either going to go with hotrod cams and intake or stop and save up for a v3 sci low boost setup.

Either route I go.... looks like I need a new CAI, any suggestions on best bang for the buck tune required CAI?
The gains you get from a CAI + tune is mostly in the tune. I bet you're getting maybe 2-5hp from the intake itself which could come from a difference in oil temp or dyno error. If you're looking at a Vortech, the kit will come with a new intake anyway so IMO I would put the money towards something else. Put the money in a sticky tire fund or build up the suspension from rear to front because you'll need it once you start adding power.

Last edited:

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with 46addict. I'm full bolt on 3v minus an intake manifold. Didn't want to put one of those on since gains are only high rpm and the low end fun is gone. But I'm at 350/330 and really wish I saved all of that and just put a vortech on. It's a daily and I only really want 450rwhp. The power now is fun and actually much more fun now that I have my LCA's and LCA relocation brackets on. Can actually get power down. Those are a must! Huge difference in the car! But don't worry about the CAI. I bought the Airaid and bama tune at once and installed and was like holy crap what a difference! Now when I went to lito it literally felt like that holy crap power all over again. Just a tune change and I even ran brenspeed and a custom dyno tune from a local shop and his was just so much more powerful as well as drive able but also a wild animal when you want it to be.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Words from an old fart; Build from the ground up.

Have a comprehensive plan and start closest to the ground. Tires, wheels and suspension first. Then focus on the power and drive train. It is a tried and true method for building cars. it will bring you the most happiness and success.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score

Have a comprehensive plan and start closest to the ground. Tires, wheels and suspension first. Then focus on the power and drive train. It is a tried and true method for building cars. it will bring you the most happiness and success.
This.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score

I’m pretty sure you were who I learned that from like four years ago on a different forum haha

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
- never modify your car, there will be much better ones coming down the pipe - always cheaper to just trade for a GT500 or 2019 Bullitt

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back