Steeda tuning request form...CAI not listed, what to do?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Go for it. JLT is good. But I think doing the piping is also good. Been seeing much better intake temps with it and more consistent as well.

By the way that filter is still in great shape. They all bend. Just pop off blow out and spray with the red oil. Good as new. I've cleaned mine about 6 times in 4 years and 80k miles.

46addict

Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread but if this no tune CAI was installed by the PO and there are no drive-ability issues, why are you trying to fix what isn't broken? You are looking to spend $250+ for aesthetics?

Not trying to be a smartass, I'm just trying to make sense of things.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
I just bought an sct x4 from steeda, they cant tune because my current roush "no tune required" cai isnt supported

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I just bought an sct x4 from steeda, they cant tune because my current roush "no tune required" cai isnt supported
And you still want to trust them to tune your car? If they can't even tune for an off-the-shelf CAI then what else can't they tune for? I'll give you a hint- they can't tune. They have a library of canned tunes and they pick the one off the shelf that matches your car profile. They don't know how to write a tune from scratch.

If you have a 3v 4.6 then by all means contact Lito. At this point I have no idea why I'm still trying to help you because you're going to insist on fucking it up anyway and will resent anybody who disagrees with you. But you are fucking up and too damn stupid to see it. The reason it is so hard is because you keep beating your head against the wall instead of walking through the open door in front of you.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
Look skwerl... you are the man. You know more than anybody else and Im wrong as fuck .... ok

I spent days reading about tuning companies. Days. Borderline compulsive days.

Steeda probably has the weakest tunes out there. So why did I pick them?

Let me explain myself for the umpteeth time.
I plan to keep this car a long time.
As I go down the path of bolt ons I want SAFE, CONSERVATIVE tunes.

You can shit on steeda all you want and you may be right comparing them to other tuners but at least I will know im running safe numbers for each upgrade and free ontop of it. When Im finished with bolt ons I will go with a true dyno tune to clean up and performance left on the table.
You can say steeda is crap all you want ive already made my mind up.

Facts are ford dealers will still warranty some aftermarket steeda tuned parts, steeda never fucked an engine up to date, and there tunes are safe and reliable.

Are they the best and give best numbers?
No... but thats not what im looking for.

If I just wanted 400hp and be done id of bought a 5.0

I plan to enjoy doing my mods and want to do them conservatively and safely.
If I have to buy a $260 new cai (which I just did) to get the ball rolling then thats ok because I was going to spend $100 on a new filter anyway since mine is crushed and like the looks of the jlt series 3 so why so much hate?

Im a stupid ass motherfucker just because I want conservative safe tuning untill im done with my bolt ons and feel like a true dynotune would then be worth it?

46addict

Reaction score
As we pointed out before, the X4 from Steeda doesn't have to be tuned by Steeda. Save the intake money and put it somewhere else. Don't worry about involving Steeda in the tune.

edit: I just read you bought another intake so never mind.

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
I know that.
I bought from steeda because thats who I want to use based on my research of prioritizing reliability and safety over performance tunes.
Yeah its shitty they never tuned the roush cai but its a bargain no tune cai and i personally thought about replacing anyway.
I got the jlt series 3 ordered.
Waste of money.... possibly but thats the cai i wanted

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
So why are you asking for our help when you got it all figured out? I think it is hilarious you think Steeda's canned tunes are safer than Lito's tunes. You keep holding on to that thought. You will show us all!

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Look skwerl... you are the man. You know more than anybody else and Im wrong as fuck .... ok

I spent days reading about tuning companies. Days. Borderline compulsive days.

Steeda probably has the weakest tunes out there. So why did I pick them?

Let me explain myself for the umpteeth time.
I plan to keep this car a long time.
As I go down the path of bolt ons I want SAFE, CONSERVATIVE tunes.

You can shit on steeda all you want and you may be right comparing them to other tuners but at least I will know im running safe numbers for each upgrade and free ontop of it. When Im finished with bolt ons I will go with a true dyno tune to clean up and performance left on the table.
You can say steeda is crap all you want ive already made my mind up.

Facts are ford dealers will still warranty some aftermarket steeda tuned parts, steeda never fucked an engine up to date, and there tunes are safe and reliable.

Are they the best and give best numbers?
No... but thats not what im looking for.

If I just wanted 400hp and be done id of bought a 5.0

I plan to enjoy doing my mods and want to do them conservatively and safely.
If I have to buy a $260 new cai (which I just did) to get the ball rolling then thats ok because I was going to spend $100 on a new filter anyway since mine is crushed and like the looks of the jlt series 3 so why so much hate?

Im a stupid ass ************ just because I want conservative safe tuning untill im done with my bolt ons and feel like a true dynotune would then be worth it?
Yes you are a stupid ass. You came here looking for advice and when given it you've chosen to ignore it. Buying tunes because you get "tunes for life" is not the way to choose a tuner. And you're way to hung up on the CAI. The stock one works just fine for any bolt on you plan on running.

Steeda and Bama are two of the last companies I'd let tune my car.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
That JLT CAI can only be used for a NA setup. If you ever decided to go FI, like a pd or whipple blower, it would have to be replaced. At least with the 2010 oem stock airbox, only the airbox lid gets replaced when the FI gets added. The new airbox lid comes with any of those blower kits. The 10-12 all share the same body style, and all of em have the highly restrictive upper grille opening. Replace it with the 7 bar grille... and you eliminate the 2 x 90 deg bends into the 'snorkel' that feeds the oem airbox. The whole eng bay runs cooler, and boost increases slightly when on the hwy and > 50 mph.

A local buddy has the bama tunes for life. Complete dead loss. I have never seen such a screwed up dyno result, bar none, total mess. His is a bone stock 2008. He finally got it semi sorted out. Then in went his LT's, and back to square one, with endless revisions. A dyno tune by your local tuner is no guarantee either. I took the dyno results from my local dyno shop, then emailed em to VMP, to do the final tweak. IMO, a dyno has some advantages, its a controlled environment. Besides the usual hp / tq curve results, you can also safely test for other stuff like AFR, DS vibration, FPDC, cat temps, rear wheel balancing and other misc items of interest. Of course you can also data log all that stuff on your local hwy in 3rd gear, but I didn't want to be doing 162 mph in 4th gear @ 6.5 krpm.

Another local buddy used the same dyno shop I did, but had em also 'tune' his vortech setup, which also uses water / meth injection. Eng blew into a million pieces, and of course the dyno shop / 'tuner' blames it on the eng.

When I saw the AFR results on mine, from the same dyno shop, I was pissed that he didn't shut it down asap when the AFR exceeded 13:1 Esp when I told him to keep an eye on afr. I can easily add fuel with my SCT-X3, either in any part of the rpm range, or across the entire range. He has since gone outa business, ( blew up one too may engs) and sold the dyno to the local BMW dealer.

IMO, your local dyno shop is useful to provide info and data points....to a real tuner, who then tweaks it. That's called... remote tuning, done all the time. But you can still data log all the info the tuner wants, but are typ limited to 3rd gear at 95 mph..... unless you can safely find some stretch of hwy to wind it up to 150+ mph.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Here is why many of us are frustrated with you, OP:

1. The Roush CAI is the same MAF housing size as stock. Since "Stock" is one of your options your intake is supported so stop saying that is is not. I see you ordered a different intake so hopefully you have dropped this point.
2. The filter might look a bit ugly but it will still work just as well, there will be zero flow loss. Also, with a bit of effort and possibly a bit of heat from a heat gun (low heat, otherwise you'll melt the rubber), you can make it look good as new

Other than that, this is a pretty simple combination to tune. It would take a deliberate hack job of a tune to cause a burn down on a N/A 3V. Lito, Justin (VMP), Lund, Brooks, etc... are all excellent tuners but for a combination like this, the OP's choice of using Steeda is not that bad. You don't need the best orthopedic surgeon in the country to remove a sliver. Once you add in a power adder, then it is time to let a real tuner do their thing.

EDIT: I also would not put a tune on it until your transmission issues are sorted out as well, a tune will just help you turn a transmission with issues into a bucket of parts faster. If the transmission is healthy, the tunes will help it live longer but with a damaged transmission, it will be a means to an end.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If it's a "no-tune" intake why don't you just tell them you have stock air box and get your tune?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The Roush CAI is also the very same as the Airaid CAI. Therefore I find it very difficult to believe that Steeda's library of canned tunes doesn't support/include Airaid lol. However, if I were to settle for a tuner's canned tunes, I would select Brenspeed over Steeda any day of the week. Also If Steeda can't even bother to write up a basic tune file for your Roush/Airaid CAI and send it to you via e-mail, especially after you purchased an SCT X-4 programmer from them, I'd just send their fucking tuner back and tell them exactly where they can shove it. I also find it hilarious in how the Steeda rep attempts to bullshit everybody on these forums with his outrageous marketing hype claims that Steeda's preloaded SCT X-4 tunes are custom tunes written for a specific vehicle which is totally and completely false and nothing more than just marketing hype. Anyone with even half a brain knows full well that a real custom tune is a tuning file written for an individual vehicle following a custom tuning session on the dyno or can also be accomplished remotely via data logging. The bottom line is all aftermarket tunes that come preloaded are the very same canned tunes included in SCT's preloaded X-4 programmers but are tweaked to the vendor in question specifications. Otherwise, they're the very same off the shelf SCT preloaded canned tunes. That being said, I also agree with RED09GT in which the Roush CAI has the same MAF housing size as stock and since the stock is supported in your intake list, it is therefore supported. As for replacing your Roush filter is concerned, you could've just purchased a replacement from Airaid who btw: is the manufacturer and I'm sure it wouldn't have cost you $100.00 as you brought up in some of your previous posts!

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
My 2010 uses the 2010-2014 roush cai not the 05-09.... its not the airaid and doesnt have the removeable insert

It is bs that they wont tune with this roush i admit that. I asked via email and they said they wouldnot send a tune for this roush intake and that "stock" intake tune couldnt just be used.

This car is new to me so want to start from the beginning and the roush wouldnt of been my choice plues the filter is caved in pretty bad and cant even buy that filter anymore so might as well go with the jlt which i ordered.

I havnt had a single shiftflare since that day i started that thread but have a new shift solenoid pack sitting here , filter and fluid that im doing within a couple weeks.

When i pull exhaust manifolds to put headers on I will replace servos with the ringed bore fix servos.
After that i will do fluid changed once a year .... either it will last a while or ill replace with reman 5r55s from a nearby shop who sells remans with servo bore sleeves and all the other fixes.

Im sorry im seeming stupid and hardheaded to you guys and really do appreciate everyones input.
I just want to start at square one like most do with cai and tune.
Its probably not logical but everyone has their own way i guess. I never asked for tuner recommendations in this thread.
Just wondered what cai to go with or if stock cai option would work...steeda said no....so.......

Ive never read a bad thing about steeda tunes across multiple forums. Ive read they arent most aggressive but safe and reliable and thats whats important to me right now .
When im done modding i will definatelly look into more specialized tuners.

Oh and steeda never sent any preloaded tunes. Its just blank with the preloaded sct tunes. You get your stradegy code and fill out there tune request form with all your mods and what octane you want and they email you the custom tune.

Again the cai i got is really a 5.0 cai but used for the 2010 4.6 only that year so they probably never ran it on a 4.6

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I do realize that the Roush intake is for the 2010 to 2014 cars, not the 05-09.

Perhaps how it needed to be explained is that the only reason why there are options for the CAI is due to the fact that the MAF transfer function will be different depending on the size of the housing.

They do not have special parameters for a specific brand of cold air intakes over another, it is just about getting the right MAF transfer function to accurately read how much air the engine is breathing.

Simply put, a tube that is the same size as stock does not require a correction to get the correct reading for the amount of air passing the meter.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Save your breath, Red. He's been told that a dozen times and he has told us all why we are wrong a dozen times. I hope he is happy with his Steeda custom tune and their awesome 'Tunes for Life' deal. How could he possibly go wrong? He's got it licked.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My 2010 uses the 2010-2014 roush cai not the 05-09.... its not the airaid and doesnt have the removeable insert

It is bs that they wont tune with this roush i admit that. I asked via email and they said they wouldnot send a tune for this roush intake and that "stock" intake tune couldnt just be used.

This car is new to me so want to start from the beginning and the roush wouldnt of been my choice plues the filter is caved in pretty bad and cant even buy that filter anymore so might as well go with the jlt which i ordered.

I havnt had a single shiftflare since that day i started that thread but have a new shift solenoid pack sitting here , filter and fluid that im doing within a couple weeks.

When i pull exhaust manifolds to put headers on I will replace servos with the ringed bore fix servos.
After that i will do fluid changed once a year .... either it will last a while or ill replace with reman 5r55s from a nearby shop who sells remans with servo bore sleeves and all the other fixes.

Im sorry im seeming stupid and hardheaded to you guys and really do appreciate everyones input.
I just want to start at square one like most do with cai and tune.
Its probably not logical but everyone has their own way i guess. I never asked for tuner recommendations in this thread.
Just wondered what cai to go with or if stock cai option would work...steeda said no....so.......

Ive never read a bad thing about steeda tunes across multiple forums. Ive read they arent most aggressive but safe and reliable and thats whats important to me right now .
When im done modding i will definatelly look into more specialized tuners.

Oh and steeda never sent any preloaded tunes. Its just blank with the preloaded sct tunes. You get your stradegy code and fill out there tune request form with all your mods and what octane you want and they email you the custom tune.

Again the cai i got is really a 5.0 cai but used for the 2010 4.6 only that year so they probably never ran it on a 4.6

Your "2010" Roush CAI is also manufactured by Airaid and yes Airaid does offer that intake specifically for the "2010" 4.6L 3v with no removable insert. Therefore if the Roush CAI you have was for the 2011-14 models, you would not be able to use it, as they are not compatible with the 4.6 3v, as the 5.0 coyote engine has a round shaped throttle body whereas the "2010" 4.6 3v still has the same oval-shaped style throttle body just as the 05-09 models have. Anyhow, I have no idea who told you that your Roush/Airaid CAI is a 2010-2014 intake because the fact is your "2010" 4.6 3v and 2011-14 5.0 Coyote models have completely different designed engines, as Airaid manufactures CAI's for all 2005-10 4.6L 3v models and 2011-14 5.0 Coyote models for Roush. Needless to say, whoever told you that is 100% dead wrong. As for your preloaded/canned tunes are concerned? fine, I stand corrected as they're preloaded canned tunes from SCT rather than from Steeda but are canned tunes never the less. In the meantime, I went ahead and provided you with both images and link below for the "2010" Airaid CAI that's the very same intake in which you have manufactured for Roush!

https://www.airaid.com/search/product.aspx?prod=450-238

AIR-450-238.jpgAIR-450-238_Eng.jpg

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I do realize that the Roush intake is for the 2010 to 2014 cars, not the 05-09.

Perhaps how it needed to be explained is that the only reason why there are options for the CAI is due to the fact that the MAF transfer function will be different depending on the size of the housing.

They do not have special parameters for a specific brand of cold air intakes over another, it is just about getting the right MAF transfer function to accurately read how much air the engine is breathing.

Simply put, a tube that is the same size as stock does not require a correction to get the correct reading for the amount of air passing the meter.

There are no Roush intakes for 2010-14 cars, RED. The intakes are manufactured for Roush by Airaid for all 2005-09 and "2010" 4.6L 3v and for all 2011-18 5.0 Coyote models.

Edit: I just noticed from the Roush website they do make a CAI for the 2010-14 models. Therefore my mistake, RED.

Last edited:

deezdrama

forum member
Reaction score
I never said u guys were wrong. And thats not the intake i have. The one i have is labled 2010-2014.... it uses stock tube to tb and has roush maf tube and heat shield.

I never asked for who to use for tunes.
I asked what to do when my cai wasnt on list and if selecting stock was ok. Then i asked about different cai.

My thinking was the 2010-14 roush cai wasnt used at all on 05-09s and rarely on the 2010 so getting rid of it

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back