Stock tune?

Nick93

Reaction score
Hey all. So i picked up my 06 gt about a month ago. It has the bama plaque on the dash and the guy included his bama tuner with the car. Since buying it I've added a muffler delete and a bbk high flow catted x pipe. Is there a way to know for sure if he flashed the car back to stock before giving it to me ? Would it not be running right or anything obvious like that ? Since I just got the car I'm just paranoid about every little thing so excuse my repeated stupid posts, lol ! Also are bama tunes safe long term ? I know back in the day people have had problems with them but they have been around for some time now.. What is the general consensus on them ? (Only reason I wanted a tune was because the guy also included an airaid race cold air intake which requires a tune to install) thanks again

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I would not recommend BAMA. They run lean and just aren't refined. I've logged their tunes and just don't look good. I would recommend remote tuning with Lito as number 1 and then VMP or lund. But definitely get a hold of lito. Guy is a saint and amazing tuner! [email protected] is his email. You can use BAMA but I just don't recommend it. I have had a buddy get detonation daily driving and damaged one of the pistons. Long term he rebuilt with forged.

If you want to see if it was flashed to stock just plug tuner in and go to I believe "Program Vehicle" or something. Is it x3 or x4? Basically if you go to add a tune it will ask if you want to program vehicle or like return to stock if it has a tune on the car already it will at some point ask if you want to return to stock. If not tuned then it will not.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Im not standing up for Bama but adding my personal experience. Ive ran their street, performance and race tune on my 07 gt for years with no problem. There is a little bucking if I dont let the car warm up for about 30 seconds or so but otherwise Ive had 0 issues.

However, there are many more reputable tuners out there. One day I will go with a different tuner but for now Bama is fine.

Nick93

Reaction score
I would not recommend BAMA. They run lean and just aren't refined. I've logged their tunes and just don't look good. I would recommend remote tuning with Lito as number 1 and then VMP or lund. But definitely get a hold of lito. Guy is a saint and amazing tuner! [email protected] is his email. You can use BAMA but I just don't recommend it. I have had a buddy get detonation daily driving and damaged one of the pistons. Long term he rebuilt with forged.

If you want to see if it was flashed to stock just plug tuner in and go to I believe "Program Vehicle" or something. Is it x3 or x4? Basically if you go to add a tune it will ask if you want to program vehicle or like return to stock if it has a tune on the car already it will at some point ask if you want to return to stock. If not tuned then it will not.

Thanks for the input! I have the torque obd app on my phone for basic datalogging.. my commanded air fuel ratio at operating temp is pinned at 14.7:1. No readings for "measured" air fuel ratio. From my understanding this is super lean... This has to be an error. Wouldn't running this lean set a fault code or CEL for system too lean ? Is there any way to know if I am running to lean ?

07 Boss

Reaction score
14.7 is actually stoich for a gasoline engine. But it is only ideal for light or no load situations. The more load you put on it the richer it should get to prevent detonation or knocking.

And run away from BAMA. Haven;t we been through this already? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. But run away now and cut your losses with them. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

Nick93

Reaction score
14.7 is actually stoich for a gasoline engine. But it is only ideal for light or no load situations. The more load you put on it the richer it should get to prevent detonation or knocking.

And run away from BAMA. Haven;t we been through this already? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. But run away now and cut your losses with them. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.

im thinking it may be a problem with the scanner i have, because its pinned at 14.7 no matter the load. and no haven't mentioned bama on here haha, i actually purchased the free tunes for life because i was going to install the intake and upload the tune. they are that dangerous? my only problem is i wouldnt want to install the intake and run the engine without a tune because the intake requires a tune. should i cut my losses and sell the intake ?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
less posting - more searching and reading.....

also I have no recollection for the 05-09 cars being able to read AFR from the OBD

46addict

Reaction score
Either sell the intake and run the current tune if you don't want to spend extra money.

Or install the intake and start fresh on a datalogged tune from a more reputable place (Lito, VMP, etc). Even Brenspeed does logged tunes now.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
im thinking it may be a problem with the scanner i have, because its pinned at 14.7 no matter the load. and no haven't mentioned bama on here haha, i actually purchased the free tunes for life because i was going to install the intake and upload the tune. they are that dangerous? my only problem is i wouldnt want to install the intake and run the engine without a tune because the intake requires a tune. should i cut my losses and sell the intake ?
"Commanded" and "actual" are not the same thing. It should command 14.7:1 in most cruising situations. What you are seeing is correct
Bama is fine for what you are after, they have a new tuning staff that is great. I use them all the time on New Edge stuff along with basic S197 stuff for customers. I would use Lito for a power adder or max effort stuff. Most folks bashing Bama have never used them or at least not recently.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Either sell the intake and run the current tune if you don't want to spend extra money.

Or install the intake and start fresh on a datalogged tune from a more reputable place (Lito, VMP, etc). Even Brenspeed does logged tunes now.
So when did Brenspeed start doing datalog tuning? I wasn't even aware of this until reading your post just now :shrug:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
The Torque Pro app is fine for live monitoring of basic OBDII sensors and functions (EGT's, ECT, Trans Temp, Oil Temp, IAT's, MAF, Spark Ignition timing, Tire Pressure Monitors, Narrow Band monitors and its many other sensor monitor features) but should not be relied upon for data logging or tuning in regards to Air/Fuel or log reviewing. I love the Torque Pro app, I use it in my F250 especially when I'm towing, it's great to see tire pressure, DPF soot levels, and various sensor temps. Lets me know how the truck is handling the load in various conditions and find the efficient zone to keep the $20k engine happy. But I would never rely on it for anything related to tune vitals. Dynojet, SCT, Diablo, and others have spent a lot of money R&D'ing software like Livelink that captures data in real time so that precision tuning can be made based on values provided by high quality data logging. Automotive tuners who give a damn and are skilled are in short supply and worth the money when you think about the cash sitting under your hood, or especially in a daily drivers case, the inconvenience it could cause if your DD were down for a motor swap due to software "oops." Don't skimp, be patient, and do it right.

As far as watching "commanded" monitors, it's rather useless unless you're comparing a commanded value to its real-time value. Monitoring narrowband live isn't really effective either, as it isn't a true A/F reading. It's close enough to let you know if you're way the hell off, not close enough to tune with.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
There is a recent post saying just that, Brenspeed refuses to data log and said there tunes are perfect as is.

LOL, if there were ever a sign on a business' door that said, "RUN AWAY, AS FAST AS YOU CAN!" That's the sign....

Edit: Shit, I need to invest in some tuning software. My entire business model will be "Upload and Done." The tune is perfect for you specific vehicle, environment, and application. No need to buy a wideband, just buy a shift light and don't look back!

46addict

Reaction score
So when did Brenspeed start doing datalog tuning? I wasn't even aware of this until reading your post just now :shrug:

There is a recent post saying just that, Brenspeed refuses to data log and said there tunes are perfect as is.
Go on their website and look. It's an extra charge but it is offered. I'm not making this shit up.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The last time I spoke with Doug and Chase from Brenspeed not that long ago, I was also told they do not data log and will not, as they claim they're custom mail order tunes are dialed in and perfected just the way they are. With Brenspeed you have 2 options, either settle for their custom mail order tunes or have them custom tune your car on their dyno :shrug:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Go on their website and look. It's an extra charge but it is offered. I'm not making this shit up.

So to be clear, Brenspeed is going to charge its customers extra to verify their tunes are acting appropriately in a specific vehicle application that could be operating a 6,000 feet ASL or 200 feet ASL? Otherwise, save some money and take their word that the tune is good? Glad Lito doesn't charge extra to verify his work (and reputation) is operating as it should. Wonder what these other cookie cutter tooners know about tooning that Lito doesn't? I always thought when a tuner claimed to be able to tune a car blindfolded, it was a figure of speech lol.

46addict

Reaction score
It's not for verification, it's if you want someone to tune based on datalogs you pay extra upfront for their time. I'm not saying Brenspeed is now better than the other tuners because this is offered. No need to get all bent out of shape. My car was tuned by Lito but I'm not going to force my beliefs down other people's throats. What works for me may not work for others, and vice versa. People are free to go with whatever tuner they prefer, and it's up to them to face any consequences.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't see anyone getting bent out of shape, but to my knowledge there's only 2 ways (Edit: 3 ways if you include tuning it to properly tune a vehicle. Remotely via email exchanging tune files and data logs, or on a dyno using live data and data logs. Anything else is a cookie cutter tune that is based either on an identical vehicle and application or raw data provided by an exact list of parts and established parameters (with a ridiculous amount of calculator punching). Cookie cutter tunes can be close or way the hell off, only a data log will verify it. I ran a diablo canned tune on my '01 GT for a long time, never had an issue that I knew of. Have no idea if it made more, less, or the same power either, didn't even have a wideband in the car because I didn't know any better. But that's the point, you don't know until you verify or experience problems. I'm not Lito's cheerleader squad. I will advocate for any business or individual who gives a damn to do things right, protect/honor their customers investments, and earn themselves that reputation. I'll knock any business or individual that slums around in my favorite hobby and does no justice for the industry the enthusiasts built for them. That's my opinion. I won't trust my investment to an outfit who doesn't verify their work, if they want extra money to verify their work that's fine but doesn't work for me as a competitive business model when plenty of other reputable tuners verify their work for the sake of their reputation and customer service. That's my opinion, and I freely share it with the OP and community for consideration. As you said, to each their own choices and consequences. At least they had plenty of opinions to take into account to make an informed decision. So lets not get our panties in twist over it, it's not even man-thong weather yet! :D

Edit: Oh yeah, and fuck MMR.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I just looked at the Brenspeed website, checked everywhere. Don't see anything about remote tuning/data logging services being offered by them whatsoever. Perhaps provide us with a direct link with subcategory to look under, as I looked under every single category on the website and couldn't find anything related to data logging/remote tuning services as now being offered!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back