Suspension seems to have no travel when hitting potholes or bumps

Turnipseed

Reaction score
My 2005 Mustang GT seems to have no travel when hitting bumps or potholes. When I hit a small pothole or small bumps in the road, all I get is a jarring jolt as if the suspension is bottomed out. It this a sign that I need to replace the struts and springs? I do the old test for shock absorbers being worn out of pushing down on the fender and I get a little travel and there is no 'bounce'. I bought the vehicle last September and it has about 114,000 miles and I have no idea whether the original suspension parts are still on the vehicle. I was also told by the previous owner that it is because of the aftermarket bushings on the sway bars. Thanks for any replies.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Simply look under the car and see how far the axle sits from the frame in the rear. i'd bet good money the stock bump stops are completely gone in the rear and the metal axle is hitting the metal frame. post a side shot of the car, i bet it's lowered quite a bit.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I talked to vorschlag about this, guy said to buy a BMW. These cars ride rough, they're cheap!

yote0

Reaction score
My 2005 Mustang GT seems to have no travel when hitting bumps or potholes. When I hit a small pothole or small bumps in the road, all I get is a jarring jolt as if the suspension is bottomed out.
No travel? You have too much travel. You likely need new struts, strut mounts, shocks, and bump stops. Whatever springs you have now should be fine. The sway bar bushings have nothing to do with this issue.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I saw this entry and I'm experiencing the same problem on my 2012 Mustang GT. On the highway no problem but when I go down a bumpy country road it sounds as if the spare tire is bouncing around. I already, have an appointment to have it put up on a hoist and see if anything obvious shows. I'll gladly take suggestions for things to look for. I have checked the spare, it's solid.

Last edited:

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
I just replaced the rear upper control arm. The axle side bushing was trash. Even tiny bumps it would be banging around. When I drilled out the rubber it was so dry rotted it turned to powder.

IMG_3760.jpeg

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I replaced that w/a prothane kit. No issues since.
I just replaced the rear upper control arm. The axle side bushing was trash. Even tiny bumps it would be banging around. When I drilled out the rubber it was so dry rotted it turned to powder.

View attachment 95158
Did you guys just change the bushing or did you change the upper arm as well?

This is the last piece of suspension that I need to change on my 07. Been chasing bumping and banging ever since I got the car, it’s better now, but still kind of there.

DieHarder

Reaction score
I changed out both. The diff has a rubber bushing on the top of it that should be changed out if it's trashed (replace the rubber only; keep the shell). Otherwise, you can get away with just changing out the UCA if you want (I went w/J&M due to how it articulates freely - cost, around $100 - $130). There are lots of manufacturers out there to choose from.

If you still have a two-piece driveshaft might also be time to replace the rubber carrier support bearing with this:

I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I changed out both. The diff has a rubber bushing on the top of it that should be changed out if it's trashed (replace the rubber only; keep the shell). Otherwise, you can get away with just changing out the UCA if you want (I went w/J&M due to how it articulates freely - cost, around $100 - $130). There are lots of manufacturers out there to choose from.

If you still have a two-piece driveshaft might also be time to replace the rubber carrier support bearing with this:

I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet.
I like that carrier bearing. Why would you do this over a one piece driveshaft?

DieHarder

Reaction score
I like that carrier bearing. Why would you do this over a one piece driveshaft?

The driveshaft itself is okay and I'm only using it on the street. That said, less than 1/3 the cost of a new driveshaft (not to mention labor/hassle unless you do it yourself). I'm at retirement age and in my situation so much easier not to have to fight with all of the components necessary to change out a driveshaft vs a two-piece carrier bearing that doesn't require me to remove the driveshaft - I'll take it. :snoopy

Last edited:

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
Did you guys just change the bushing or did you change the upper arm as well?

This is the last piece of suspension that I need to change on my 07. Been chasing bumping and banging ever since I got the car, it’s better now, but still kind of there.
I did both, but also already had the adjustable uca and new bracket. The bushing in the stock 150k mile uca were actually still good. I just used a rubber replacement so I removed the entire bushing and metal housing and replaced it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
When replacing everything that you have replaced, have you verified proper torque/tightening sequence? With components that move by going up and down, if they are over tightened they can't move freely. That can possibly cause an issue for you a well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back