Swap for crate engine

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
One thing you need to remember is boost can cause reliability issues. And as it has been pointed out, boost can get addictive. lol Been there. My boosted 91 fox puts 420hp to the wheels. Strim + gt40 pushrod crate 302. Thats more than my bone stock coyote. But the 'yote turned laps 5 seconds faster at Watkins Glen. (Best lap 2.16) You really need to prioritize your goals. Power desired vs reliability needed, and in the end reliability was the most important. Being able to run 87 octane fuel is just a bonus. I chose to do my swap mainly for those resons, fuel costs and reliability. And it is my daily driver. Oh, and I get anywhere between 20-23 mpg to boot commuting. Track day fuel costs have also been reduced as fuel usage went from 6mpg with the fox to about 8 with the 'yote, and I dont need to buy premium fuel.
Food for thought....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
What!?

Boost is like sex:

You know it's cool before you get it

Once you get it, you want more of it

You want all your friends to get it too

But, you always want to have more than everyone else
I realize that's [still] the prevailing opinion (and given the length of time that I've been a car enthusiast I have a pretty good idea why it is that way) . . . let's just say that "prevailing" is not a synonym for "universally held" and leave it at that for now.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The 05-10 engs are dogs in oem format. Vorshlag claims 447 rwhp with just a 93 tune and LT's..on their 2011 car they had. Most guys with 05-10 engs barely manage 440 rwhp with most blower setups. Much more than 450 rwhp..and the poor 281 ci eng is on borrowed time... the oem rods are pretzel sticks.
On the street it really doesn't matter to me if I've got 300 or 450 under the hood. Even quite a lot less, for that matter. There's a stretch of road that I'll use somewhat more power than I normally do on the street, and all three cars in my sig are within a mph or two of each other at the same point. Basically, my street driving is to a relatively fixed level of performance rather than to the maximum that the engine is capable of providing, and that level hasn't changed appreciably in the last 30 years.

On a road course I know I could use 450 ,maybe quite a bit more (because I've driven cars with that and more on a track). But even for the vast majority of that driving I'm still OK with just a 4.6 with the FRPP tune. Another hundred HP isn't going to get me through the 70/80/90 mph corners any faster . . .

Ford should make a drop in HD replacement eng for the 05-10 cars.
This ↑↑↑

Norm

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
nothing beats gently rolling into the throttle coming out of a corner in 2nd, and hazing the tires. Right in the middle of town.

There is a drop in HD engine replacement for the 2005-2010 cars, the 5.7 LS I'm starting to build as soon as I find a good non-castech 5.3 donor.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
There is a drop in HD engine replacement for the 2005-2010 cars, the 5.7 LS I'm starting to build as soon as I find a good non-castech 5.3 donor.

I think the idea was for that drop in replacement to be a Ford engine rather than a Chevy.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the 4.6, it can make insane power. But if you don't want to turn a wrench as far, the 5.0 will make more with less. Still a few friends with turbo 2v 4.6's the coyote's just can't fuck with. Helps they weigh 1,000lbs less than the new coyote dreadnaughts, LOL. But the look they get when a 2v stomps on their dicks, LOL. Much butt-hurt and ego-deflation. Somebody always has more bigger/better/faster/money under the hood, ya never know when that turbo volvo wagon is really a sleeper baiting you to your doom and embarrassment. Anything can be fast for the right price. If you 5.0 swap, do it because you love turning a wrench, not because it has "potential". All swaps/builds are financial blackholes. If you buy a Mustang and decide to modify, you just entered the money pit. When I had mine, I swooned for the 'yote too, all that power and it could still get mid-high 20's fuel economy, lol. Ultimately, I saved shit tons of money sticking with the pit I already had my money thrown into and lived just fine without the 5.0 at 420-480whp (91 or e85/9psi) never once broke a sweat over the stock rods... because I had coyote rods ready to go in just in case. Do what you enjoy with your car, but if you're chasing power, E/T's, or lap times, all builds/swaps are headaches/money pits. Just make sure it's the one you want.

This made me think of something I was once told when I became really interested in sailboats (but applies to boats in general). I was thinking about maybe buying a small sailboat.

A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.

rewritten for cars....

A car is a hole in the road into which you throw money.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BOAT - Break Out Another Thousand

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is that like JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket? LOL

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
True, but the old-time hotrodders never seemed to have any problems with dropping 283's and 327's into 1930's Fords.

Yes indeed. I know of several 60s Mustangs that have been fitted with Chevy LS engines. The more compact dimensions of the pushrod engine makes it easier to squeeze between the shock towers with room to spare. Those engines are dime a dozen and inexpensive, making them popular swaps.
I know some might consider it sacrilege to swap a Chevy engine into a Mustang, but to others it's a practical choice. It certainly costs a good deal less than a Coyote swap, and you get more cubes and more HP potential in the process.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 05-10 engs are dogs in oem format. Vorshlag claims 447 rwhp with just a 93 tune and LT's..on their 2011 car they had. Most guys with 05-10 engs barely manage 440 rwhp with most blower setups. Much more than 450 rwhp..and the poor 281 ci eng is on borrowed time... the oem rods are pretzel sticks.

Ford should make a drop in HD replacement eng for the 05-10 cars.
LOL.
There are tons of 05-10’s running north of 500 RWHP without issues.
My 05 has been supercharged since August 2006. That same year it ran 11.427@ 119mph. On 10psi.
Since then it has over 3,000 1/4 mile runs and it now has just over 100,000 miles on it running 14 psi of boost on the stock motor. The car puts down 543rwhp and 500 lb/ft of torque.

Proper tuning and not pushing the car if there is an issue are the 2 most important things.

That being said, if it blew up tomorrow it doesn’t owe me anything.
I already have a forged stroker shortblock sitting in my garage.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
LOL.
There are tons of 05-10’s running north of 500 RWHP without issues.
My 05 has been supercharged since August 2006. That same year it ran 11.427@ 119mph. On 10psi.
Since then it has over 3,000 1/4 mile runs and it now has just over 100,000 miles on it running 14 psi of boost on the stock motor. The car puts down 543rwhp and 500 lb/ft of torque.

Proper tuning and not pushing the car if there is an issue are the 2 most important things.

That being said, if it blew up tomorrow it doesn’t owe me anything.
I already have a forged stroker shortblock sitting in my garage.

Sure the tune is important, so is not windowing the block. I have seen folks with the Roush 460 tune,
( M90 + CAI + more aggressive tune) take out a rod.... no warranty...and the rod let go, while cruising on the local hwy..and barely putting your foot into it..and still not into boost...go figure. All it takes is one bad rod, and it's game over. Various other combo's have also taken out one rod, windowed the block. In some cases it results in one bent rod. My theory is the rods are pretzel sticks...and will eventually succumb to metal fatigue. Most tuners will tell you the same thing. Your 3000 runs is superb = aprx 10 hrs. The force on the rods goes up to the square of the rpm, so limiting the top rpm, even a little bit, will go a long way to making them last.

543 rwhp +500 ft lbs of tq is one helluva lot for the oem eng.. hats off to you. That's the most I have heard of anybody getting from an oem eng. I still say most folks with any where near that much power have a ticking time bomb under the hood..and are pushing their luck. 8 good rods are better than 7. It would be more cost effective to forge it 1st, but that's just me. I lost a rod on my old 350 chevy, but that was back in the 80's.... and just doodling along at 55 mph on the hwy. I don't have much luck with some stuff, and tend to follow the adage.... pay me now, or pay me later.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure that FRPP now makes a 5.0 crate eng that drops into the 05-10 cars. I saw it listed on their site quite a while back. It was a new item at the time.
One of the biggest misconceptions in the Auto industry. There is nothing that just "Drops" in. There will always be something out of the ordinary that pops up.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I lived near Detroit in 2010 and got one of the first Coyotes (March 2010). Perhaps the more recent ones are much better, but I don't get the love. I realize with an SC setup that they are badass, but I'd take a blown 4.6 over an NA 5.0. The 4.6s SOUND better and are easier to work on. And, there is something special about the look of the 05-09 Mustangs . . . further making the 4.6 a more attractive option when shopping for the actual car. As for motor replacement, I'd take a built and blown 4.6 all day . . .

And did I mention I'm one of the first ones to get the infamous Coyote "BBQ Grill Ignitor" tick? I had to sue Ford before they would give me a new engine. The replacement didn't sound great either. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

TheGhostTiger

Reaction score
If you're looking to make NA power, you really should consider the big bore boss block. It's as close to coyote a 3v gets for making NA power. Look up BruceH's big bore builds, he's done it NA and boosted.

*Edit: By close to coyote, I meant as far as doing an engine upgrade that has similar potential without the coyote headache. Every motor swap has its own headache. Even OE spec'd builds.

Think I could get 500 hp to wheel na with that block? I was thinking of going eit
If you're looking to make NA power, you really should consider the big bore boss block. It's as close to coyote a 3v gets for making NA power. Look up BruceH's big bore builds, he's done it NA and boosted.

*Edit: By close to coyote, I meant as far as doing an engine upgrade that has similar potential without the coyote headache. Every motor swap has its own headache. Even OE spec'd builds.

He put 434 to the wheels with that BBw setup. That's crazy, I always wanted to go n/a as I always believed forced induction was for commies dammit. I guess I'll put together the money for the boss block then, he mentioned in that thread he wanted to try the Ford Hot Rod Cams, to see how much power he could make, but now I know I'm sticking with Ford Performance parts whenever I can. I wonder if I could get that block 500 wheel.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Think I could get 500 hp to wheel na with that block? I was thinking of going eit

He put 434 to the wheels with that BBw setup. That's crazy, I always wanted to go n/a as I always believed forced induction was for commies dammit. I guess I'll put together the money for the boss block then, he mentioned in that thread he wanted to try the Ford Hot Rod Cams, to see how much power he could make, but now I know I'm sticking with Ford Performance parts whenever I can. I wonder if I could get that block 500 wheel.

Throw enough money at an engine you can make it sing and dance like a possessed toaster from Ghostbusters 2. Cylinder Heads are as important as what block they sit on. The 3v was a great design for its day, but it's still just a 3v. Cranking 500whp NA out of a 3v is a tough goal. I know plenty who sunk bundles into their NA setups just to squeeze 400 NA out of a 281 3v. The big bore block gives you displacement advantage, but Natural Aspiration is like conducting a symphony, all of the parts have to play to the same goal. Look at the GT350, for example. Specifically built for bucking NA power, yet every boost-addict on the planet was thinking, "Imagine if it had xx psi behind it!"

I'm just a 3v junky, not a conductor, I can't say what it'll take to crank 500whp NA out of a BBB. All I know, it'll be expensive. What Bruce did with his was gorgeous, but I don't think he had an agenda behind his build other than it was built to his specification of personal enjoyment, that just happened to rev to the tune of 400+ NA 3v. I would own his car right now if I had the money I have now back then to drop on another car (or could have sold mine sooner).

I'm more of an efficiency man, personally. For every dollar I sink into a car, I expect a certain margin of performance in return. NA potential in a 281 3v has diminishing returns. More cubes increase those returns considerably, but you're changing the platform to get bigger returns (no longer OE 281). As much as I envied Bruce's build, I made similar power or better with a $2,000 used blower kit on an otherwise OEM 281 3v. My aspiration for more power faded quickly when I came to terms with the power I had put to the street. I have a friend with a 630whp Terminator, and frankly the car is a waste on the street. There isn't a gear that's useful at WOT below 90mph. Unless you just enjoy drifting from light to light.

I certainly recognize the entertainment in high power builds, though. I fantasize often of buying a '98 Cobra as my base platform and building it to turbo spec's, hog the heads out and port match everything, call it done somewhere around 600-700whp. Personally, I like the "B" head 4v 281, so often under-estimated and under-valued. But, I would be coming out of pocket (car + build) almost the same money I could buy a used '11-'17 for, and have an inferior chassis. It'd be great in a straight line, but I'd have to sink even more money to hope to keep up in braking, cornering, and stability. While the S550's are the better car, I still can't get over the fact that they've turned them into tanks, nearing full size pickup weight of yesteryear. I fluster today's charger's and challengers with my little Focus ST, by the time they make full steam I'm long gone being 1,000lbs lighter and making max power at 2,500rpm. Given enough road, one could certainly reel me in, but such circumstances rarely exist in random street grudges. Leaving them red with a $40,000 asphalt yacht. No, I faced the choice of my little hot hatch or a used S550 already, I just couldn't drag the boat anchor in my environment. The call of a Ford V8 will just have to brood a while longer, preferably to the tune of a '07-'11 GT500 when the time comes. TVS swap, done.

If you do go for the big bore block, I'm certain BruceH is still lurking these parts to give you pointers. The hot rod cams sure sound great and produce some decent gains, not exactly a max effort cam but gains with style. I think he wanted to swap just for curiousity. I don't recall if his 3v heads were ported or not, I want to say they were. Either way, once you hit the diminishing returns wall NA, the only step left is power adder. If I had still had the drive to build engines, for a 3v, the big bore block would have been the direction I wanted to go.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
One of the biggest misconceptions in the Auto industry. There is nothing that just "Drops" in. There will always be something out of the ordinary that pops up.
Not to start an argument, but I think that's historically been more true with respect to the small-block Fords than the small-block Chevvies (oil pans, amounts of external balance, firing orders revised vs not, etc.). I've worked with both.

Norm

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
IMO a "Drop in" swap: motor mounts, trans, driveshaft, exhaust, cooling system - all with off the shelf parts. 99% of the parts are direct bolt in to an S197 from the 11-14 cars. Getting the engine & trans into the car was actually a piece of cake. :) Mounting the P/S pump was the only fabrication I did.

Yes, I could have gone to EPAS, but since I open track the car, I didn't want to deal with possible "chatter" and the general lack of feel reputation of EPAS. Plus it was less costly to keep the hydraulic steering, and I didn't have to touch the suspension.

As for the electrical, no swap will be painless if the factory never put that particular engine in that specific chassis. If you are not intimidated by wiring up an engine, then a coyote swap is within your capabilities. ;)

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Not to start an argument, but I think that's historically been more true with respect to the small-block Fords than the small-block Chevvies (oil pans, amounts of external balance, firing orders revised vs not, etc.). I've worked with both.

Norm
I will agree with that. I made that as a Generic statement

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back