Switching comp cams with valve springs to FRPP cams or Howards Rattler Cams Help

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Any opinion on the Motha Thumpr cams?
I have not run Thumpers but I have heard them. My first bolt in’s were Detroit Rockers. Same class as the Hot Rods. They all offer nice sound and a little more power when tuned. None of this class cams require the springs you have. If you step up to the 127400 or 127500 you will need to use Comp Cams Phaser limiters or lock the phasers out completely. Also note that the 127500 is the “largest” cam recommended for stock heads. Opening the valves more than 0.550” or so on stock ports does not increase airflow.

PeanutBader

Reaction score
I have not run Thumpers but I have heard them. My first bolt in’s were Detroit Rockers. Same class as the Hot Rods. They all offer nice sound and a little more power when tuned. None of this class cams require the springs you have. If you step up to the 127400 or 127500 you will need to use Comp Cams Phaser limiters or lock the phasers out completely. Also note that the 127500 is the “largest” cam recommended for stock heads. Opening the valves more than 0.550” or so on stock ports does not increase airflow.

Heard the Detroit Rockers and they sound so good, pretty close to the Hot Rods. I think I am going with the 127500, based on your recommendation and 07 Boss.

Would this be the cam phaser limiter kit that I need?

https://www.modularheadshop.com/i-30746982-comp-cams-4-6l-5-4l-3v-phaser-limter-kit.html

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Yes, that is the phaser limiter kit. Before you purchase, talk to the tuner you are going to use about the cams you have chosen. Ask if he prefers working with limiters or locks. It makes a difference in the tune and the tuner may insist on one or the other.

bambam 06

Reaction score
Something to consider. Running a wide duration narrow LSA cam will usually have miserable low end torque. You may also have to use a vacuum pump connected to the break booster.

Or this
31rW5fYCdEL._AC_.jpg

BottleRocket

Reaction score
Here's my '08 4.6 with BBK long tubes, BBK high flow cat mid-pipe, Ford Hot Rod cams, FRPP CAI, and the Ford 'box tune', complete with C.A.R.B. sticker. Estimated hp, 350? It's a lot of fun on the street but I haven't had it to the track yet.

VideoCapture_20220424-174731.jpg

Last edited:

MrBhp

Reaction score

What is your full setup? Sounds amazing and you got a good looking scheme on the pony! Got my car back today with the Roush extreme pipes, stock mid pipe, stock manifolds and they are loud as hell on startups and when I get on it as well. I did not expect the Roush's to be this rowdy. Love it though! It is about to be a monster on cold starts.

I want to get long tube headers installed coupled with an H-pipe catted but gutted just scared it might be over the top loud!
At the time of that video I had stock manifolds, hi flow cats, x-pipe, and Roush Extreme. The Roush pipes are basically straight thru no muffler pipes. They just have two resonators that are supposed to help with drone. With 4.10 gears they were unbearable on the highway. We drove from Texas to Gatlinburg TN, and back. I swear it was louder with earplugs. My ears were ringing more than usual.
Here's a sound bite of my race setup.
Long tubes with 24 inches of 3" after collector.
https://youtube.com/shorts/UkIsZ3xw2sk?feature=share

PeanutBader

Reaction score
Something to consider. Running a wide duration narrow LSA cam will usually have miserable low end torque. You may also have to use a vacuum pump connected to the break booster.

Thanks for the info. Are you able to provide me with a link? I tried looking that up and all I get is something like a house vacuum

PeanutBader

Reaction score
Yes, i have mother thumper cams. I am a believer that the faster your car is, the stronger your brakes must be.

What is the drivability like? I heard its bad but wanted to know what your thoughts were?

PeanutBader

Reaction score
At the time of that video I had stock manifolds, hi flow cats, x-pipe, and Roush Extreme. The Roush pipes are basically straight thru no muffler pipes. They just have two resonators that are supposed to help with drone. With 4.10 gears they were unbearable on the highway. We drove from Texas to Gatlinburg TN, and back. I swear it was louder with earplugs. My ears were ringing more than usual.
Here's a sound bite of my race setup.
Long tubes with 24 inches of 3" after collector.
https://youtube.com/shorts/UkIsZ3xw2sk?feature=share

That’s my current setup stock manifolds, mid pipe, and the Roush extreme’s and the 4.10’s. The morning cold starts are absolute killers.. Thanks for sharing the new youtube short. It’s DAMN LOUD. I had to turn it down just from the phone.

Do you have any recommendations on shorty headers? Mine is cracked after I took it to the shop so I am thinking of just replacing them.

bambam 06

Reaction score
What is the drivability like? I heard its bad but wanted to know what your thoughts were?

A little rough idle, but nothing you can't handle. The sound is incredible (i have electric cut-outs) and when you open them, they can hear you coming a block away. Powerwise, when you hit the gas, you are gone.

MrBhp

Reaction score
That’s my current setup stock manifolds, mid pipe, and the Roush extreme’s and the 4.10’s. The morning cold starts are absolute killers.. Thanks for sharing the new youtube short. It’s DAMN LOUD. I had to turn it down just from the phone.

Do you have any recommendations on shorty headers? Mine is cracked after I took it to the shop so I am thinking of just replacing them.
I really don't. They don't really add a lot of power. I've always ran LT's. Even on my turbo setup I run stock manifolds. I'm considering going to some ceramic coated shorties just for the heat management. Not sure it would actually help though.

bambam 06

Reaction score
Thumprs don't hurt brake performance

You need a minimum of 18 inches of vacuum, anything below that and your brake booster will not work at 100%. Thumpers will only give you about 12-14 inches of vacuum. your cdar, your choice.

bambam 06

Reaction score
You need a minimum of 18 inches of vacuum, anything below that and your brake booster will not work at 100%. Thumpers will only give you about 12-14 inches of vacuum. your cdar, your choice.

18-inches

MC: Any brake booster in the world requires 18-inches of vacuum to operate at peak efficiency.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I've used those cams in everything from nitrous to serious road course use and they absolutely produce enough vacuum to stop the car in each application.

PeanutBader

Reaction score
18-inches

MC: Any brake booster in the world requires 18-inches of vacuum to operate at peak efficiency.

Did you have to get anything else besides the cams, brake booster, and cam phaser limiter?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back