Those that did Auto to Manual swap, how did you handle the ecm?

Ian Rothery

Reaction score
I have all of the information I need to complete the swap, including all of the parts minus the ecm. I know the ecms are specific to pre/post 07 and to the transmission (auto/stick), but what are the options for swapping an 05? I know the stock auto computer can be reprogrammed, but how? Ive contacted the dealer to no avail, and I'd really rather not outsource it and spend any more money on a professional tune. Im competent with programming and am confident I could disable the auto trans shift functions on it if I had the hard/software. As for swapping the computer, there are several different ecm part numbers per year. Is the swap just plug and play, assuming the harness and all of the wiring is correct? I know PATS needs to be configured to the old key on the "new" computer. This ecm issue is the only thing holding me back from starting on this project.

I have already referenced the stock wiring diagrams and will be modifying the harness to suit how manual cars would have been run from the factory. Mechanics and wiring, no problem. I can modify a harness and install a transmission. Its the programming side that I cant find any clear information on to be certain how to tackle it before I begin. I know there will be other bumps along the way but I want to be confident in the process before I buy too heavy into it.

Ian Rothery

Reaction score
any reprogramming outside of pats? or just plug and go after programming the keys?

whitmanink

Reaction score
the stock cumputer cannot be reprogrammed to be a manual ,, ive already looked into this before i did a v6to v8 swap,,

now if you find an 05\06 stick shift pcm, than other than pats holding u back , it would be plug and play..

and mind you the brake booster and all will need to be changed to a stick shift one since the clutch and brakes are all one of the same,,,
other than that ,, find trans , a driveshaft , ....hold on,,

wait ,, i still have my pcm and all outback in my v6 stang (2006) if you need anything , i got it , (tans , driveshaft,pcm, engine harness ,, ect )

but yes as long as the year are good (05 to 06) and you change your brake booster and disable pats , u are gooden

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I have all of the information I need to complete the swap, including all of the parts minus the ecm. I know the ecms are specific to pre/post 07 and to the transmission (auto/stick), but what are the options for swapping an 05? I know the stock auto computer can be reprogrammed, but how?

It would be easier to swap in an 05-06 Manual ECU. That way the correct transmission and axle gear ratios will already be programmed into it (unless it's been tampered with an aftermarket tune). You'd then only need to have your own VIN flashed into it, and have your keys reprogrammed so that they're recognized and allow proper PATS function.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
the stock cumputer cannot be reprogrammed to be a manual ,, ive already looked into this before i did a v6to v8 swap,,

now if you find an 05\06 stick shift pcm, than other than pats holding u back , it would be plug and play..

and mind you the brake booster and all will need to be changed to a stick shift one since the clutch and brakes are all one of the same,,,

wait ,, i still have my pcm and all outback in my v6 stang (2006) if you need anything , i got it , (tans , driveshaft,pcm, engine harness ,, ect )

but yes as long as the year are good (05 to 06) and you change your brake booster and disable pats , u are gooden

He doesn’t have to swap his brake booster. The only thing it shares is the resivoir.

Another thought, do the auto cars need a hole cut for the shifter and clutch master cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Rothery

Reaction score
He doesn’t have to swap his brake booster. The only thing it shares is the resivoir.

Another thought, do the auto cars need a hole cut for the shifter and clutch master cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I only have to swap the pedal assemblies. I need to install an extra line for the clutch but I'll have all the parts I need from the donor car. No holes need to be cut/drilled.

It would be easier to swap in an 05-06 Manual ECU. That way the correct transmission and axle gear ratios will already be programmed into it (unless it's been tampered with an aftermarket tune). You'd then only need to have your own VIN flashed into it, and have your keys reprogrammed so that they're recognized and allow proper PATS function.

Why do I need to program in the VIN? I know PATS for the keys will need to be dealt with, but what does reprogramming the vin into the computer have to do with getting it to run properly? I know the computers vin's are liked to the proper firmware, but if I swap to a manual ecm why does that matter? Cant the car just think its still the manual vin, but be in a different shell?

The auto ecm can be reprogrammed to manual, but not the other way around. It has been done but it was a lot of work. You basically disable the auto trans shift functionality and it works mostly the same. Idk the detail on how to do it, but swapping the ecm's seems like the better option regardless. Now the v6 computer cannot be programmed to a v8, if thats what you were referencing. Swapping engines needs a new ecm but im keeping the same v8 motor so that's not relevant to me.
The driveshaft and transmission cross members are the same from 5r55s to tr3650. I do have the option to take my dads '08 shelby tr6060 and the supporting parts, but I would much rather find the proper 05 manual v8 donor car. Swapping to a tr6060 also requires the driveshaft, crossmember, and the clutch from the same donor car. Flywheels are specific to the engine (4.6/5.4).

I should have mentioned this earlier, but this is a stock 05 GT auto car, with the only mods being exhaust. The plan is to swap the trans from a donor car along with all the supporting parts. I'm going to attempt to make it as stock as possible, I've pulled up the wiring diagrams so hopefully cruise control and reverse lights should function normally with a manual ecm. (Assuming its fairly plug and play)

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like any 05-06 manual v8 car will suffice as a donor car (as opposed to an 05 ONLY) and the ecm will plug and play, minus PATS for the keys which I know can be reprogrammed yourself by using the proper OBD ii scanner, and forscan.
I've ironed out most/all of the mechanical details through this and other forums, and I'm competent with a wiring diagram to modify the new harness if need be to function as it would have on a stock manual car. It sounds like plugging a manual ecm into the auto car and reprogramming PATS is all it takes once the mechanical and electrical is finished to complete the swap.

Joe M

Reaction score
We did this swap in my 05 GT. We installed an 07 manual into it, and used my 05 automatic ECM and wiring harness (made modifications to it). The starts, runs, and drives fine without any programming.
However I am looking to have the ECM reprogrammed because the check engine light, o/d light, and wrench are lighting up. I have an SCT programmer. Any thoughts on how to do it with my current programmer?

Joe M

Reaction score
From what I’ve gathered from reading, it’s better to use an 07 or later manual because the 05-06 had some weaknesses that Ford corrected in 07. I’m no expert, and someone may correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s why I used an 07 donor car for the swap.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
You basically need the Advantage ProRacer software to go along with the X4 programmer. About $750 if you need both.

VIN programming needed only if you swap to a different pcm.

My understanding is, based on tuning my coyote and seeing the settings available in the SCT PRP software:
Under system switches, there are two settings, trans type and trans load. You set these to the manual transmission settimgs. (For mine, set to zero on both is what SCT notes say)
Than you have to enter all the individual gear ratios for the transmission, or cruise will not work in some or all gears.
Output shaft "tooth" count maybe needed also to get speedo correct.
Differential ratio you have two options:
Set in SCT, or leave it on VID block like Ford has it. I use VID block and Forscan to change gear ratio and tire size. Much faster than reflashing the tune to change those. And no chance of a failed flash/bricked pcm just fora.tire size change.
You need Forscan to program PATS anyway. Or pay Ford for it. Or get the3 day Ford access and the $1000 Ford VCM.
Chinese clone IDS/VCM combos sold on fleebay suck.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back