tired of being slow

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Yeah, but when we leave the track we're driving nice looking, comfortable cars and they're driving a gutted honda civic.

and 300rwhp in 3500lbs will always pull harder at high speeds. 150whp in 1750lbs will never hit 155 mph.

Oh, come on now, you know where I was coming from! For "low speed" situations, using the old online ET/MPH calculators, the numbers come out dead even: 13.2@108mph. For "higher speed" calculations, it gets a lot more complex, but I will say, that if you take a 300HP Mustang that weighs 3500lbs, and compare max top speed to a 1750lb, 150HP car with the CD of a Maclaren or Lola F1 chassis, I think the Mustang will lose. Hell, just slapping a wing on the Mustang can cost 10mph in top speed. Aero starts to factor into things in a big way, and we all know the Mustang has the aerodynamic CD of a large cinderblock.

Arkady001

forum member
Reaction score
I found that even a relatively small outlay on upgraded suspension parts improved matters no end with regard to cornering and my own set-up is what I'd consider the bare minimum (but still room for improvement)... however any lighter car with a shorter wheelbase has an advantage in the corners...it's up to us to get to the corner first and shut the door on them...

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Oh, come on now, you know where I was coming from! For "low speed" situations, using the old online ET/MPH calculators, the numbers come out dead even: 13.2@108mph. For "higher speed" calculations, it gets a lot more complex, but I will say, that if you take a 300HP Mustang that weighs 3500lbs, and compare max top speed to a 1750lb, 150HP car with the CD of a Maclaren or Lola F1 chassis, I think the Mustang will lose. Hell, just slapping a wing on the Mustang can cost 10mph in top speed. Aero starts to factor into things in a big way, and we all know the Mustang has the aerodynamic CD of a large cinderblock.

I was just trying say that top speed is determined more by the absolute hp, rather the ratios. Take any car and start stripping weight, the ET will drop while trap and top speed won't change much.

http://www.daleholley.com/nissan.htm

They drop a Sentra from 2762 lbs to 1674 lbs. Stock the car has 145hp. By the time the car weighs 1674lbs, it has the same weight:hp ratio of a stock S197, and runs 10 mph slower through the traps.

Last edited:

foolio2k4

forum member
Reaction score
There was actually an article i read online. I forgot what i searched but there was a test done on a stock mustang and a modified one. Skid pad for stock was obviously .9s around. Then they put on the eibach or H&R coilover, supercharger, sticky tires, and weight reduction. Then it achieved a skid pad of 1.3Gs or something.

heres the link.
http://eibach.com/newsimg/popmach/you-drive-eibachpart2.pdf

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back