TREMEC T56 Magnum S197 Transmission

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
I did absolutely nothing and it works fine. You have to push a little harder to get it into reverse, but IMO that's a good thing. Did you ever drive an old VW Bug? You had to push the shifter down (in) and over to get it into reverse. This setup is easier. And the only time I need reverse is backing out of a parking spot or my garage.

Some people cut the spring but if you do that then it may be too easy to shift into reverse instead of 5th at highway speeds, especially if you're getting on it hard. No thanks! I like having the extra resistance for reverse.

Ya, I'm on the fence...for now I think ill muscle it over and in. Keeps the boy from sneaking it out of the shop now that I think of it...

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to hear from everyone running a t56 what they did about the reverse lock out spring/connection?

I'm still waiting to hear from Liberty about them locating the proper connection so I can wire mine up to a switch.

The resistance on my T-56 is pretty stuff, so I decided to install a switch and LED. I also have a module that automatically enables the reverse under 10 MPH like the OEM GT500. I just haven't installed it. I like the security of the switch.

DSC08578.jpg

DSC08583.jpg

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone running the T56 Magnum XL kit? I'm interested to hear someone's feedback on the elimination of the remote shifter they advertise with that kit.

Its like night and day... Totally old school transmission. Good old school!!
Remote shifters suck!!

Positive shifting and ultra smooth!!

Totally worth every penny!!

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
The resistance on my T-56 is pretty stuff, so I decided to install a switch and LED. I also have a module that automatically enables the reverse under 10 MPH like the OEM GT500. I just haven't installed it. I like the security of the switch.

DSC08578.jpg

DSC08583.jpg

very nice, so hoe did you wire into the lock out controller on the side of the transmission? Did you find the proper connector, if so from where?

The gt500 module sounds like a good investment as well

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
very nice, so hoe did you wire into the lock out controller on the side of the transmission? Did you find the proper connector, if so from where?

The gt500 module sounds like a good investment as well

The connector came with the transmission. It should be in the box. If not call Tremec and they will send you one.

07 procharger

Addicted to modding
Reaction score
how long ago did you buy yours...because apparently this connector has been on back order for a while now. im going to try and order one from the link Lito posted.

thanks all.

HOLLYWD69

Reaction score
Transmission is here and hopefully the loop will be here soon too! Now to find a friend with a lift to get it installed!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those who've installed it: anyone do it with jack stands?

striketwice

Reaction score
Different platform, same transmission.

I'm in the process of converting my Gen 2 to a 6 speed manual using a T-56 Magnum. The "basic" Magnum is about 4" too short to be able to re-use the stock L driveshaft. A bunch of those guys are buying and using the Magnum XL in their S197's. I'd like to have one of them tell me what the length is from the motor/bell mount face to the end of the tail housing.

Thanks in advance!

HOLLYWD69

Reaction score
So what kind of fluid is everyone using in these trans? I ready to do my install and need to buy some fluid.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back