Turn the key on and nothing, I mean NOTHING happens except......

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
Did the car forget your key? The key's have a transponder in them for anti-theft measures. Sorta like the resistor chip in mid-90's GM products. You'd think though the car would've at least cranked over if it couldn't read the key.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't doubt you but I am curious why first it had to be done, second what generated the need to do the seemingly reset procedure, what it pertains to, and finally where this reset procedure is documented with respect to the Ford tech manuals.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
First I've heard of it as well. Seems crazy and I would have lost money betting against that actually working!

07 Boss

Reaction score
I’ve heard of something similar with GM cars and resetting keys/PATS under certain circumstances.

46addict

Reaction score
  1. It's fucked.
  2. If PATS were holding it out, the starter would engage but not start the car
  3. Possible that the PATS module is not functioning.
  4. Possible the transponder key is not being recognized.
  5. SJB could be FUBAR
So.... There you have it. Any and all advice is welcomed.
Chiming in to share my experience with the PATS. #2 isn't necessairly true because the system disabled the starter after I replaced the PCM in the car. I had to have my tuner disable PATS to get the car to start. This allowed me to drive the car with a new to me PCM and no re-programming of the keys.

white95

boost or bust
Reaction score
The issue hasn’t presented itself again in two days but it’s anyone’s best guess whether it’ll happen again or not. Without knowing the root cause it’s tough to determine which, if any, parts need to be replaced. My gut tells me to have new keys made regardless but also to replace the transponder (not sure what it’s called, but whatever reads the key in the column) as a preventative measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Pretty sure the PATS is in the cluster

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Keep in mind I do NOT have a spare key!!

IF the battery in the FOB is down a bit, or semi flaky, or lousy internal connectionS, it will cause you no end
of grief...(esp if you are on the other side of town, or out of town, late at night, raining etc.) Get a 2nd key + FOB programmed. I don't go anywhere without my spare key / fob. I use the spare key once in a while to make sure it's good to go...esp just b4 a long out of town trip.

On a side note, on my 2011 Fusion, I tried the key to unlock the car, and find out a 12 second count down timer is counting down... and when the 12 secs runs out, car alarm goes off. I believe the idea was IF somebody had copied the key... and without the mating FOB, they can unlock the door, but can't start the car...and no way to shut off the alarm.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back